Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

used to be king poo poo. now they’re that weak poo poo where weird old english people go to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Portugal was never king poo poo

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
nerd dictator

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
whatever happened to ponytails?

the high long ones
i liked those

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Brasil é o número um, huehuehuehue

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

, The Man

or the country

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Toxic Mental posted:

, The Man

or the country

the man the man or the man the band

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i mean look at this. back in the days of discovery portugal hosed

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Portugal was never king poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

this sort of thing is frowned upon these days op. in modern times if you want to do this kind of thing you need to do it with a global megacorporation or some kind of corpo-imperialist hegemony instead of a traditional european monarchy.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TrashMammal posted:

:lmao: what a bunch of dumasses. Spain, France, and Italy were like right next door! Could have had them instead of malaria.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just one of the fractious polities that came from the sundering of the crown of asturias. reunite the iberian kingdoms imo, the moorish conquerers are long gone. no need for portugal to exist any longer

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Earwicker posted:

this sort of thing is frowned upon these days op. in modern times if you want to do this kind of thing you need to do it with a global megacorporation or some kind of corpo-imperialist hegemony instead of a traditional european monarchy.

well obviously. i’m just trying to fill in a gap in my paltry american education. know all about that loving around phase. wanting to learn the specifics of how they found out

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They didn't hold Siam and thus their empire was eventually starved of new armies.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

wanting to learn the specifics of how they found out

piece by piece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_of_Brazil
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambican_War_of_Independence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnation_Revolution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angolan_War_of_Independence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Colonial_War

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that’s a lot of words homie. did you see the part where i mentioned my paltry american education?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

well obviously. i’m just trying to fill in a gap in my paltry american education. know all about that loving around phase. wanting to learn the specifics of how they found out

they were quite powerful during the 16th c but stil lseriously rivaled by continental powers, most importantly spain. they were ultimately marginalized by the habsburgs during the iberian union starting in 1580. the habsburgs used this time to focus castille into modern spain, and also used spanish gold to fund debts incurred by the italian wars, and also to further surpress the low countries. the habsburgs basically totally dominated europe (and much of the world, arguably) at this time. the union ended after a series of complex political factors, stoked by the slow burning dutch conflict (that we call the eighty years war in english), and the imbroglio on the continent called the thirty years war. portugal never really reached its highs it reached in the 16th c after this, as the habsburgs ensured the spanish got a massive headstart. the portugeuse continued to focus, somewhat ineffectually, on india, and on the african/brazillian connection (iirc they did end up with the high score for slaves exported to the colonies w brazil, a loving bonkers number, more than the rest of all of the americas maybe?), + brazillian gold and diamonds.

into the 18th c, portugal was basically a pawn between the rising english star, and france and spain. they were a sideshow in the napoleonic wars, despite their colonial weath. the wide ranging knock on effects of liberal republicanism that the french spread during that time basically sealed the deal for brazil who by this time loving hated european portuguese cause they basically looted the gently caress out of the place, even tho the royal court hid from napoleon there for a while lol, and brazil basically said gently caress this and went independent. portugal faded further into obscurity and faced a civil war before even the springtime of nationsm, and was pretty much a fail clown show for the rest of the 19th c . in 1908 the king got clipped by some republicans and a revolution followed. no one really cared aside from the british who at this time were used to a comfy little portugeuse pawn. it was basically completely unstable for 60 years, falling to dictatorship (salazar), and then collapsed into the pathetic little rump state it is today during Decolonization

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

big over simplification and i was a little rough on portugal w that post but hell, they deserve it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Dwigt Rortugal

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

Looking at that map, the British Empire took all their poo poo, is what happened.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBhf8f7cXM

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

they were quite powerful during the 16th c but stil lseriously rivaled by continental powers, most importantly spain. they were ultimately marginalized by the habsburgs during the iberian union starting in 1580. the habsburgs used this time to focus castille into modern spain, and also used spanish gold to fund debts incurred by the italian wars, and also to further surpress the low countries. the habsburgs basically totally dominated europe (and much of the world, arguably) at this time. the union ended after a series of complex political factors, stoked by the slow burning dutch conflict (that we call the eighty years war in english), and the imbroglio on the continent called the thirty years war. portugal never really reached its highs it reached in the 16th c after this, as the habsburgs ensured the spanish got a massive headstart. the portugeuse continued to focus, somewhat ineffectually, on india, and on the african/brazillian connection (iirc they did end up with the high score for slaves exported to the colonies w brazil, a loving bonkers number, more than the rest of all of the americas maybe?), + brazillian gold and diamonds.

into the 18th c, portugal was basically a pawn between the rising english star, and france and spain. they were a sideshow in the napoleonic wars, despite their colonial weath. the wide ranging knock on effects of liberal republicanism that the french spread during that time basically sealed the deal for brazil who by this time loving hated european portuguese cause they basically looted the gently caress out of the place, even tho the royal court hid from napoleon there for a while lol, and brazil basically said gently caress this and went independent. portugal faded further into obscurity and faced a civil war before even the springtime of nationsm, and was pretty much a fail clown show for the rest of the 19th c . in 1908 the king got clipped by some republicans and a revolution followed. no one really cared aside from the british who at this time were used to a comfy little portugeuse pawn. it was basically completely unstable for 60 years, falling to dictatorship (salazar), and then collapsed into the pathetic little rump state it is today during Decolonization

strongjawed into clownification :hmmyes:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

Looking at that map, the British Empire took all their poo poo, is what happened.

lol
what happened to Portugal?
England
:shrug:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Loling at the time Spain and France jointly invaded Portugal and then Napoleon was like "well I'm bored, guess you're next" and proceeded to invade the poo poo out of his former ally Spain

Bet the Portuguese had a hearty laugh at that one

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

nukes wouldn’t have touched Portuguese Nagasaki

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They evolved into brazilians, try reading a history book OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

too many words

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Devils Affricate posted:

ain’t got time for that between all the posting and computer touching

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I went in the 90s, was cool

I was as tall as the average guy, I am 5 foot 4 in

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
not much, whatever happened to portugal with you?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Lisbon was almost annihilated in 1755 on All-Saints Day, by an earthquake/fire/tsunami combo so bad that it caused a crisis of faith all across Europe.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 9, 2024

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
downloaded portugal rtx but it wasn't really anything to write home about imo

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The Angola war is worth reading about, Cuba sent soldiers over to help them win independence in a stunning display of international solidarity that baffled both the US and USSR.

Great essay about it in that Jacobin book about Kissinger that came out recently, The Good Die Young.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Gene Hackman was mistaken, the horses were from Spain, not Portugal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

portugal ftw.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
They went to Brazil and then prado

... Italians

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

They moved to Massachusetts and opened up badass fish markets.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

I mean they made it in Civ 6...

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Their heroin is extremely cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nice beaches