Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Problem description: Running anything GPU intensive causes GPU problems such as, black screen or just GPU driver crash.

The system seems to work fine for long periods if I don't stress the GPU.
Running a GPU intensive game (or FurMark, which is what I used instead when trying to diagnose this problem) causes either a brief black screen and the system reverting to basic GPU drivers (Device Manager showing Code 43 error on the GPU) or a black screen until I restart the system.
I upgraded my CPU from Ryzen 2600 to a Ryzen 5600 two days prior, they both have the same power usage AFAIK.
While running FurMark both the CPU and the GPU are under 70C temperature before the driver crash, so it's not overheating.

I'm suspecting that the PSU just happens to start dying after 5 years, but I'm looking for ideas on what else it could be before I buy a new one.

Attempted fixes: Attempted clean GPU driver un- and re-install.
Also dusted the whole system.

Recent changes: Switched CPU in my system from a Ryzen 2600 to a Ryzen 5600, and updated my BIOS two days prior.

Operating system: Win 10 LTSC 21H2

System specs: Ryzen 2600, RTX 2060 SUPER, Corsair CX550M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Underclocking the GPU to reduce it's power usage seems to make the system be able to pass FurMark without problems, so I'm fairly convinced that I need to switch my PSU.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

...so I'm fairly convinced that I need to switch my PSU.

Yeah, that would be a good bet.

That's a weaker PSU to use with that GPU.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zogo posted:

Yeah, that would be a good bet.

That's a weaker PSU to use with that GPU.

I've been using this exact GPU with this exact PSU for almost 5 years now.
But IIRC PSU's can get less effective over time? It's probably that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I've been using this exact GPU with this exact PSU for almost 5 years now.
But IIRC PSU's can get less effective over time? It's probably that.

Yes, PSUs degrade with age. I like the Corsair CX series but I wouldn't use them with a high-end GPU.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spent all day diagnosing the problem, tested absolutely everything I could google and nothing helps. Even tried installing a fresh Windows install and the problem persists still.

I ordered a new PSU, hopefully it's that and not the GPU because those are expensive as gently caress.

jbone
Jan 25, 2004

bigeaux, it's showtime, chah
Have you checked your GPU fan and your case internal temperature?

I agree it could be the PSU, but those crashes also sound like they could be from overheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah especially with the cpu change. Cooler get upgraded? Didja clean off paste and put new stuff on? Fans all spin on the card?

The PSU is easy enough to swap though, and the card does pull a lot of power!