Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Put me down for another vote for Kitsune Dirge Bard that worships Desna. I can see the Day of the Dead wandering mariachi theme working too.

Not going to say more right now other than that I enjoy this game, wish Cythreal good luck with the LP, and will be reading it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Change all my votes to LPer’s choice. I want to see this game played to completion and enjoyed more than I want a specific class etc combo. Again, good luck to the LPer.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hopefully this foxy bard dreamer will earn her place in history! :D

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I personally like the Street Urchin backgrounds giving Trickery as a class skill. Helps my Lawful playthroughs of a reformed crook trying to fix the world.

My characters usually end up with a crossbow over any other weapon. I like the opening scene where you shoot a demon lord with one. Kudos to the game, though, for including many cool examples of just about every weapon they feature.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm a casual play person myself on this and other games, so I'm cool with what Cyth has planned. Mechanics optimization gets annoying when I can still beat the game without it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Not really a fan of Wendaug or Camellia since they play their alignments full bore, but at least Wendaug's voice actress (Amelia Tyler) is awesome. They're also both good for evil players, I guess. If being evil rubs you the wrong way like it does me, it's the opposite.

Not really a fan of Lann either, he's a bit over the top into himself. Then there's the assumed love interest bit Cyth already brought up. :( Some male players aren't a fan of that any more than female players- largely it depends on the characters involved.

Seelah is a cool character to whom I too wish players could get closer. Oh well. I like to give her the Horse companion also, although a one level dip into Hunter, Inquisitor Sacred Huntmaster, or Cavalier Beast Rider can give her a Mount early and cause the different animal you might pick to take over for the default Paladin Animal Companion when you get to higher level if you like. Paladin Bear Cavalry- the Demons are in trouble now. Heh.

Cyth is probably going to bench Cam soon as she can. Not sure if getting her killed by demons is a prerequisite for that. Up to her if she wants to bring in a mercenary with identical stats to replace her like Cohh Carnage did in his LP, but that may not be necessary at Story Difficulty. :)

If you ask about the corpse next to Cam, Annevia identifies him as Aravashniel, an elven scholar from the original Pathfinder module series on which this game is based. Owlcat Games changed up the plot of those modules a bit.

Mongrelfolk are a race of humanoids from the original D&D Monster Manual. Their mixed animal body parts are canon, but I think the bunch in this game has some unique origins with demons being involved. I also haven't heard them called "neathers" outside this game.

Wendaug puts down your character if you're a tiefling and accuse her of being one. Lots of racism against tieflings in this game. She also calls you out if you're a dhampir or aasimar, I think.

I'm enjoying Cyth's commentary on the game's themes. Yua's asides too.

You can use party member stats in later text adventures, but the game doesn't always allow you to do it.

This game has a very large amount of shitheads in the party. I will let Cyth introduce and comment on them as she will. Some (including the character people have referenced) are IMO endearing. Unfortunately (my opinion), Cam and Wendy aren't on the list. Even if you romance Wendy, she still behaves a lot like a selfish thug before you get her to calm down. And that was not appreciated on my end. Cam is just... gack. I'll leave it at that.

Kudos to CM for his original AP Lore.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 17, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
My first run was about 100 hours on story difficulty because I was honestly enjoying the game (well, most of it, the enforced putting up with certain evil party members isn’t enjoyable- at least other stuff balanced things out a bit) and trying to explore all I could. My second run (same difficulty, different mythic path) was about 80 hours because I knew better what I was doing. I had Crusade Mode on both times. I’ve only done Azata and Trickster paths to completion. I plan to do Angel next or maybe one of the evil paths just for laughs, but right now a lot of other games and life in general are monopolizing my time.

Documenting your play does tend to slow things down a bit, but our navigator is a veteran gamer who has a plan, so things are probably evened out a bit. Heh.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, this is something I'm very concerned about after the Warcraft LP.

As it is, I'm trying to end updates at logical points to take the story in bites, so updates may vary in length.

I’ve been wanting a completed screenshot LP of this game for a long time and believe you have the ability to create a good one. You have my support. Variety in update length is fine, everything is great so far. Just keep up the good work. I know the dangers of burnout well.

Best of luck avoiding it and dealing with us once again.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ChaosStar0 posted:

Just got done with 'That Fight' in the Shield Maze and I hope that you show it, because I had to try it like 20 times.

If you’re talking about the fight I think you are, it’s not that hard on Story difficulty if you know what’s coming.

Haggling with Horgus is a neutral act, not evil. In fact, if you worship Abadar, you can skip the persuasion check by reminding him it’s considered a sin to underpay services in Abadar’s church!

Looting and selling excess weapons and armor is a quick path to wealth in this game.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some additional hurdles to state-sponsored violence in the Pathfinder setting- character alignment and personality are a big deal. There’s also no established tribunal for war crimes like The Hague and when your war has been going on for nearly a century… you’re going to have a lot of war crimes. Not just on the Demon side either. There are plenty of nations in play on the anti-Demon side, at least some of which are sponsored by evil deities interested in bringing the Abyssal chaos to heel or exploiting it for personal gain. Your player character can also share such patronage. Let’s not forget magical domination is a possibility in this setting also. But I will let Cythreal get into things. Let’s just say I too am looking forward to her take on certain topics and game characters. :)

I’m sure an insurance company in a demon war zone would either be charging enormous rates or bankrupt due to excessive claims. Possibly both.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I know. I plan to talk about the alignment system in this game in the future. Right now I'm intending to finish the tutorial part of the game for the LP.

Also, I checked mods and alas nothing for contrast in text boxes.

There are mods to add romances for two future companions who can't currently be romanced, but nothing for that more prosaic purpose.

I’m familiar with one of those romance mods but not the other. Can you send me a link by PM? Waiting till the relevant character is introduced is also fine. Thx.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That song matches and helps my mood tonight. Thx for sharing it!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wendaug just has an unpleasant personality long term. I have recruited her for much the same reasons CM describes plus my being a fan of the voice actress and… long run, I have ended up having as much of a problem with her as Cythreal does for much the same reasons. Yeah, you can romance her, but by the time it’s possible, why would you want to? [sigh]

I’d have enjoyed a mongrel player character too. And a rat folk, cat folk, or goblin one. Maybe I should look for appropriate mods… :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I personally have the Pathfinder flavor of atheism in a way- I believe gods exist, but I have yet to find any religion worthy of my devotion. Still a good person regardless, hoping to end up like Roy Greenhilt in Order of the Stick when I die... but this isn't really the board for that kind of discussion.

Wendaug not feeling remorse for her bad deeds is what kills her character for me too. This keeps her romance to just a bucket list checkoff for me and not really a fun time. Hope Amelia Tyler gets more interesting characters in the future.

Definitely doing an Iomedae Paladin next Angel run- thx for letting me know there are heavy interactions there.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Szarrukin posted:

Does Pathfinder has its own Wall of the Faithless?

Nothing like that in Pathfinder far as I know. It was explicitly created by evil death gods in the Forgotten Realms, and I believe, later retconned out.

In Pathfinder, all deceased mortal souls are judged by a neutral death goddess and then sent to the appropriate planes. Deities they worship can argue to motivate the journey, and that is a big reason why many mortals devote their lives to religion. Atheists can earn a good afterlife with enough self-determination and appropriate ethics, though. It's just harder for some mortals without an appropriate pro-redemption deity like Sarenrae or Shelyn advocating on their behalf.

I invite someone with more Pathfinder knowledge to correct me if I'm wrong.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I hate unwinnable boss fights. This one is especially bad because they make it so you have to actually lose. Why couldn’t they be like some JRPGs and just code in an appropriate cutscene when you get the boss to low health?

Some lore on the demon types we’ve met so far-

Cambion- as Cythreal said, these are half demons, spawn of male lust demons known as incubi and mortals, raised in the Abyss.

Dretches- Sloth demons that can exhale stinking clouds and turn invisible. Low level but nasty.

Quasits- Demonic flying imps that usually feature as evil wizards’ familiars. Enjoy theft and mocking insults.

Schir- Goat humanoid demons born of spite, the backbone of the Abyssal armies. These are the bardiche wielders we meet in the Gray Garrison.

Abrikindalu- Fat rat humanoid demons that enjoy vandalism and destruction of beautiful things.

Vrolikai- Savamalekh, the demon in the shield maze who teleported away, was one of these. They’re evolved gluttony demons that usually operate as abyssal officers.

Lillitu- female horned and hoofed demons with eyeless faces like Minagho. Supposed to foster corruption, especially of religion and political institutions. Powerful spell casters.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 24, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I usually keep characters in the party long as I can, for the experience from their side quests, if nothing else.

If you need advice on any game side quests, drop me a pm. I’ve completed most of them. For the Spinner of Nightmares one, just keep talking to Hillor in each Act of the first three and ask him about the Spinner. In Act 4 he’ll ask you to help him track down info on his nemesis and then you’ll get a quest for resolution in Act 5.

Yes, there are mods that fix the alignment issues.

There’s also a mod out there that unlocks a romance for Woljif. It has decent writing and works for both genders, but sadly you have to get pretty far into the game to start the process.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 26, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
What I like about Seelah is that you get the general sense she’s a compassionate ethical person and practices what she preaches, but at the same time allows herself time to relax and be friends with others instead of holding herself above them in any way. She is disciplined but does not use her blessings to deny anyone else undeserved compassion or grace. It’s refreshing when paladins are so often high and mighty opposites of this standard.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ember is awesome. Kudos to her especially for being an inspiring atheist with a take no prisoners level of compassion.

I agree with the whole black skin changing to match black heart thing. Gack. Give me Drizzt over that sort of dark elf any day.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 28, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Also, a race being mutated by some kind of magical energy is a normal and common phenomenon on Azeroth, and has nearly nothing to do with morality. As long as you're not huffing the green stuff, I suppose.

The market square is a great central map imho. There's a lot going on that pushes you in many different directions, you'll come back a few times to this map, and the enemies and friends you meet are really varied.

Ember is cool for several reasons, but we'll get to many of those much later. She's a strong combatant, which is more than can be said for quite a few other characters. And I appreciate that the near hundred years old child/teenager cannot be romanced.

The near hundred years old child/teenager scorned and covered in scars.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

constellations are a type of goatee. i will not explain

This makes a strange sort of sense.

New demons-

Nabassu- also known as Death Demons, these are gluttonous immature vrolikai. They can create ghouls and drain levels with touch attacks. Terminate with extreme prejudice when encountered.

Brimorak- pyromaniac demons that throw fire.

Vermlek- fat worm humanoids that have clubs and negative energy attacks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

You cannot. The alternative is to send them back down to the Shield Maze to prepare to attack the Gray Garrison.

Which both feels like a less than great idea, and it's a thing in a lot of sidequests in this game that often the right thing to do is trust people, show support, and not micromanage them.

IIRC there are three (but two of them are mutually exclusive) groups of reinforcements to rescue, and the thieflings were one of them. We'll meet the other two in the next update.

There are four potential reinforcement recruits in the Market Square (thieflings, mongrels, and the two mutually exclusive groups) plus one more in another important story area. You need to visit the area in question before the act time limit expires to get the latter group.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dragon Disciples are cool. But it's up to you.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Shadow Demons are spies and pranksters. They have minor magical abilities. One of them was the bad guy’s most prominent minion in the 1980s D&D cartoon.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m a big fan of WotR, played through Kingmaker once. Didn’t like the time limit or the best ending mandating a romance that was not set up well imo. Rest of the game was good, though. No interest in Rogue Trader, I’m not into war hamster.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nenio is one of my favorite characters in the game, she is just so hilarious. I do wish they had written her differently in some areas, but that’s true of a lot of characters. In this case the writers have more marks in the good column than the bad.

Camellia, Wendaug, and other characters I don’t want to mention right now get the opposite review. 😔

I still end up benching Nenio in favor of other caster characters at times, but when I do, I always miss her remarks. I hope our hostess will continue to show them off as we proceed through the game.

Daeran is another character whom I enjoy more than detest, but I understand why some players feel differently about him. He makes a good healer, but most parties can work without him if they prefer, editing in a mercenary or someone else with a healer build.

I mostly appreciate Daeran for his humor- one bit we missed already is you can ask Aranka about him and she will call him out for being a bastard. If he’s in the party he will applaud her for talking about him honestly even though he’s within earshot. :D

Thx for letting me know about the Aeon technicality on Hulrun. I want to do a True Aeon run at some point and it’s good to know I don’t have to side with Hulrun for that. I have to rationalize other issues with the Aeon path but am glad I won’t have to rationalize this. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I'm told there actually is a mod to make Nenio a romance option! But that, well, it's very blatantly written by a furry for furries, and that is very much not my cup of tea. I'm also told there's a Woljiff romance mod, which is of no interest to me for different reasons.

I personally have never heard of the Nenio Romance Mod you mention. I also should note I’d have no issues romancing furries in general, but if the mod fetishizes it… yeah, we can skip that. As for the Woljif romance mod, I played and enjoyed it with one of my female commanders. It was fun times. I wouldn’t mind revisiting it on a gay man run, if I wasn’t pretty sure it’s not that different other than a few lines and I have other romances to check off my list.

Your choice on whether to do Nenio’s personal quest. I find myself activating Toybox to get through it even on runs where I don’t want to cheat otherwise.

I personally don’t see Nenio as asexual, just not attracted to the player. But others are free to indulge their own preferences, I suppose.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Mechanically, the dlc character is cool and his quest line is interesting. But yeah, the game is fun enough without him if you find other reasons not to purchase. I haven’t tried his romance yet.

I like the Azata path because it feels natural to play it various ways. Want to be a free spirited atheist Tiefling Ranger cat lady who is charmed by nature and the rogue she wants to save from himself? That works. Want to play as a Desna-devoted lesbian bard struggling with unfamiliar powers who wants to do something just to fix this gosh darn demon problem? That also works. How about a Gorum-worshipping glory hound gendarme dhampir named Don Quixote? That also could be fun. Whereas other mythic paths just don’t feel as nice if you’re not playing them with certain builds and personalities in mind.

Referencing my own last Azata run, Cythreal’s, and Bringitdon’s on YouTube if anyone cares.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 5, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Achtung, I told you in the Warcraft LP, stop this kind of poo poo. This thread is not 'your audience' as you put it then.

Ok. I was not hyping one thing over another but I understand if you got the wrong impression. Consider myself reminded and I won’t bring it up again. [salutes] Hope you don’t mind that I will keep enjoying your LP.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Szarrukin posted:

I could swear that during one of her personal quests she states that she sees intercourse purely as a scientific matter and nothing else.

I must have missed that, but then this game has lots of dialogue I haven't seen. I was basing my opinion on what she says in response to your friend zoning her in another personal quest. But I suppose that could come across as ace also and I am inserting my own personal bias again. :shrug:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

I’m intrigued as to why you put ‘no’ for Nenio’s fixability.

Personally I’m not sure what “can I fix this character?” means. Personality improvement is a matter of opinion. I’ve seen a lot of character builds out there that improve characters in various ways. But for this, what exactly are we trying to fix? If the OP wants to answer, of course.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, that explanation makes sense for me too. Thanks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Alchemists don’t get Grease? That’s unfortunate. Then again, you don’t exactly need that spell often on low difficulty. Still nice to have, though.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 7, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If you’re not careful with those columns, they can seriously injure your own party. It happened to me my first run.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some of the optional party members, while annoying, make up for it with their humorous banter and/or the advantages they bring to Crusade Mode. Daeran & Lann imho fall into this category, Camellia not so much. I’m in the camp with Cythreal on her- I don’t like being forced to work with an insane serial killer- it doesn’t matter how attractive she is. And there are other characters in the party who can do everything she does, so until we pick them up and don’t need the extra xp from her quests… then again, I only have this knowledge from meta gaming- I understand it’s worse for the unsuspecting newbie player. :(

I too would be ok with Horgus though, if not for his questionable parenting. That’s enough said about that.

New demons-

Babau- slimy red skeletal humanoid creatures employed as elite soldiers and assassins by the abyss. A long standing archetype from Gygax D&D. We’ll be seeing a lot more of these as the game goes on. You can find one in a remote area near the Desna Temple in the Market Square if you want an early game challenge.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Delayed romance is still romance and that’s usually fine with me when given good reason. It’s this whole “you can’t help x and that’s wonderful!” attitude I don’t get. Why is that glorified? It’s like they say- there’s no accounting for taste.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don’t think you get what I’m saying, Professor. It’s not the “you can’t fix this character and that’s great” mentality I don’t understand. It’s the whole “Iago did nothing wrong.” “Scar for President!” “Camellia lover for life.” mentality. That’s what I don’t understand. These characters absolutely did messed up stuff. They should not be welcomed. They should be given their just desserts asap. And I’ll take the opposite you mention over this sort of thing any day, especially in real life. Sometimes it’s awful, yes, but sometimes it’s true. And I don’t mean the magic of romance, I mean the magic of friendship and gaining wisdom. Though sometimes I will admit it’s nice if that includes romance.

I suppose to make change recognized for the good thing it is, we have to acknowledge the opposite. Maybe even accept it. But I don’t think we need to embrace it. That way lies the same chasm that has impaired us for a long time if not something worse.

Please note that a lot of what I say is rhetorical. We don’t need to focus on it here. I have long accepted I can’t change the world. Let’s concentrate on the game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 11, 2024

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, options are good. Ultimately, though, I'm always going to pick the option to put her down, not uplift, revel in, or exploit her. That's how it is. :) Hope that can be accepted.

I recall a certain player who got so used to having Camellia's off tank combat skills, buffing spells, etc. in his party that when the game forced their ethics into opposition, he killed her off as demanded and then created a mercenary with identical stats but a different alignment called "Not Camellia" to take her place in his party. Under the circumstances, it was probably a good idea.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Succubi are lust demons in the shape of beautiful women, if you didn’t know that already. They have red skin, bat wings, horns, and claws to give away their origins. They function well as seducers or rapists depending on their mood. Beware their compelling gaze, level draining touch, and tendency to be surrounded by enthralled minions. The male equivalent we’ll see sooner or later is the incubus.

Like others have said, Daeran will change at the end if you believe in the possibility of his redemption. I do understand the choice not to believe in him, though. Personally I’m ok making fun of the guy and appreciate his skills as a healer. Most LPs I’ve seen go the route of “I’m amused by Daeran and will support him” route. Should be interesting to see one that does the opposite. As far as his humor, I have laughed at his jokes at times but find other companions more memorable in various ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You can always complete Daeran’s quest to justly condemn him to a bad ending, but it’s your LP. Do as you enjoy.

I personally like the Azata path, but I’m also not about to go full bore on it and try and be overly merciful to everyone I can. I agree some people don’t deserve it more than for game mechanics. That’s not always a compelling argument. In Daeran’s case, the benefits are mostly in Crusade Mode.