Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Mitch's agent must be insanely good at his job to sell a reporter on the idea of this being a "mutual parting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Feels like you would want to be confident about your ability to re-sign a guy before you turn down two big trade offers for him

Burns probably isn't a $30m/year guy though so it's a legitimately tough place for the Panthers to be. Even in a tag and trade situation, it's hard to imagine another team would be eager to give up a first rounder just for the right to pay him that much

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1762504734915641503

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think the league lets you designate two guys as "post June 1" cuts, so that guy gets to hit the market right away but you still get the benefits that you would have if you released him after June 1.

I was trying to figure out if cutting Russ actually makes sense for his meager-yet-not-awful production last year, and I always forget that the only reason the Broncos are in this situation is because they gave Russ a new giant contract after trading for him even though they didn't have to. What a beautiful sequence of events that was

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1765047355705831698

He just had a real good year. Are the Jags really in that much of a cap crunch?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
More smoke on that:

https://twitter.com/sheena_marie3/status/1767298213126754776

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Or in the trade for the #1 pick, letting you keep DJ Moore

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Does Mike Williams still potentially have some juice left in him? He's a little younger than I thought and his numbers pre-ACL tear are better than I expected

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/statmusenfl/status/1769135364856230291

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Gully Foyle posted:

God, that Claypool trade has to be one of the most baffling decisions by an NFL team ever. The next best thing to a 1st round pick for a 1 year rental of at best a mid WR (and turned out even worse) for a team nowhere near ready to really compete.

It was a perfect storm of factors to make an awful decision look almost justifiable

-The WR market was at peak craziness (Christian Kirk had just signed an $18m contract, Green Bay was also offering a second for Claypool, Kadarius Toney got traded around the same time for a 3rd and a 6th despite having 41 career receptions)
-The Bears were desperate and devoid of offensive talent around Fields, who looked like he might be starting to develop bad habits because he was in such a bad environment
-Plus when the deal went down it looked like they might be regular bad instead of worst-in-the-league bad (3-5 at the time of the trade, 3-14 at the end of the season)
-The upcoming FA market for WRs was trash (headliners were OBJ and Jakobi Meyers)
-Steelers QB play was so awful that you could squint and convince yourself Claypool's slide into mediocrity wasn't his fault (He averaged 60 catches + 860 yards a year in his first two season with the corpse of Big Ben!)

I think since then people have realized that rookie WRs are hitting at a high enough rate that you don't need to pay a premium to acquire anyone at the position who isn't legitimately great

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't know why the Texans would de-emphasize red in their redesign; that was their most striking color. Red helmets owned, red tops were probably their best jersey

Declan MacManus posted:

dc has better receivers and a better line than chicago, i'd be pushing for there too

What

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Are you really getting mad at people for saying they think something is ugly

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

xbilkis posted:

I think since then people have realized that rookie WRs are hitting at a high enough rate that you don't need to pay a premium to acquire anyone at the position who isn't legitimately great

Browns saw me make this post a few days ago about the WR market getting more sane over the past two offseasons and decided they were going to make me look like an idiot

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't know how you even justify the existence of onside kicks under the proposed rules. At least until now the onside kick has been a strategy that either team could theoretically deploy at any time during the game; under the proposed rules it would be codified as an advantage only the losing team has, and only in the 4th quarter, and it requires a substantial deviation from what would be the standard kickoff procedures.

I know other sports have their weird quirks that don't really make sense but help keep games theoretically interesting at the end (e.g. timeouts advancing the ball at the end of game in basketball, clock stopping for first downs under 2 minutes in college football) but I am personally not aware of one that is explicitly written into the rules as "This is for losing teams to use"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He wants to get paid and they don't have the cap space

Titans sure are throwing around a lot of money for a team with a massive question mark at QB. That usually ends well. (That being said, I do admire Levis's gunslingingness and I hope he works out)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was skeptical because I feel like bad-to-mid teams splurging in free agency usually ends with them stringing together a few mediocre years before they realize they're not good enough to justify having a bunch of expensive vets and blow everything up.

But I like that move a lot more for the Titans seeing that Sneed is on a pretty reasonable contract; I was expecting him to fully reset the market based on the relatively modest trade return. It's weird that CB seems to be the one position that's resistant to having contracts shoot above the $20m AAV mark. Obviously the Sauce/Surtain contracts will shatter the ceiling eventually, but it's wild that the Jaire Alexander deal is still holding strong as the market-setter two years later

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Hamhandler posted:

Given the way they implement the bans on horse collar tackles this is going to go great

I don't really have any problem with how enforcement of horse collars have gone. I feel like I maybe see a couple of blown calls per season but that's nothing compared to the hit/miss rate of calling other penalties

Banning hip drops seems pretty reasonable, and although enforcement could go really really badly, it seems like the NFL is fully aware of that going in and wants to err on the side of not loving up games in the moment/prioritizing the most egregious examples. Maybe I'm being naive in their ability to follow through successfully but I feel like this is probably a fine development

xbilkis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 25, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only one of those hits where I'm even a little iffy on whether the hip drop could be avoided is the Chiefs-Bengals play. Defenders having to be conscious about form when they're making a tackle isn't going to be the end of the world

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The337th posted:

Ok now imagine being a referee on the field not seeing a perfect angle of several of those tackles with other bodies partially obscuring their view, and add on the general margin of error they already have on clear calls

They should be instructed to only call it if they have a definitive view of it with the knowledge that enforcement can also come via fines if necessary. (It would probably also be good if this was a penalty that the replay judge could make a quick correction on)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

bows1 posted:

This has always confused me, so we are saying that every time the player does a "hip drop" the goal is to land on the legs and hurt them? Not that the player was trying to use his body weight to pull a bigger player down and happened to land on his legs?

No, just like the goal of a horse collar tackle or helmet-to-helmet hit isn't (inherently) to do something violent. It's just bad form that significantly increases the risk of injury

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Heading into free agency I had the Texans earmarked as a "They're gonna come back to earth a little next season and disappoint people" team and they are making me feel increasingly dumb for thinking that

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Arena League-rear end uniforms. Bring back the light blue, cowards

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BlindSite posted:

Why does it feel like Tee Higgins will go for something miniscule on draft morning instead of going for a 2nd like he probably could have commanded last year when the Bengals were shot because of injury.

At this point there's not really any reason for the Bengals to trade him if he's not going to hold out. See how far you can get this next season and then just take the comp pick when he walks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Soul Glo posted:

as a titans fan, it is distressing that cj stroud has delivered so much good content this week

My perception of CJ before the past couple of weeks was "extremely Christian, otherwise super vanilla" so it has been delightful to learn he has an actual personality and is incredibly likable