Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He has likenesses mocked up from memory and then he runs facial recognition on those designs.

I wish there was a version of the movie where he actually got the wrong girls because he was essentially witness-sketching masked women from a dream he had.

Like he's actually just looking for this guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Why did a Pepsi factory in downtown Toronto have a bunch of fireworks in it?

Outside of that here are some choice moments:

1. Close up of pregnant piss on the kitchen floor so madam web can be clued in as to where characters have gone after her DAY TRIP to Peru.

2. Nearly 90 percent of the dialog was clearly adr and delivered while the characters are sometimes not even on screen

3. A teenage girl's desire to dance for cute boys in their vicinity cannot be stopped by the otherworldly fear of a man in a gruesome spiderman costume with strange powers trying to and nearly successfully kill you.

In summary this movie is the best encapsulation of how dumb and bad comics were during the time this movie was set. Thank you PepsiCo for making this vision of late 90s early 2000 garbo comics into a cinematic reality.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Sorry but it’s kind of a brilliant gag that a movie that constantly teases but never delivers on a trio of Spider-Women literally ends in a fireworks factory.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He has likenesses mocked up from memory and then he runs facial recognition on those designs.

Yeah but when his hacker partner looks for them on PRISM he just uses fully-formed photos of them as Spider-Women taken from earlier in the film, not sketches or anything. It would’ve actually been a fun visual to get like a comics artist to do new drawings of them for the movie or even use panels right from the comics for them but apparently they ripped the visuals out of his dreams?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
About half way through, Jesus this is bad. The line readings though, gently caress me, the line readings.

She has gone to Peru. :psyduck:

Edit the second: The trees are the same 30 years later. THE TREES ARE THE SAME THIRTY YEARS LATER! :psypop:

Monica Bellucci fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 20, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The bad guy just ran sideways on a building and didn't fall off.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

duh, he's spiderman

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I sort of assume the villain's future visions were part of the re-write? Like, I have no evidence for this but what if they had it as the climax somehow, with effects work already in motion or done, when they realized they had to cut the movie to poo poo and back again but needed a way to cram the footage in anyway?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

josh04 posted:

duh, he's spiderman

Spiderman maintains contact :colbert:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
At least there isn't a sky beam.

PEPSI COLA

Edit: "It's not safe to land, you'll have to get high" AHAHAHA JESUS

I have had to pause to stop laughing. The bad guy was destroyed by (girl) P.

Monica Bellucci fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oh Jesus that was dreadful. Finishing on Dolores made me laugh as well. No loving cat at the end though, boooo.

Honestly the best parts were the line readings and the dopey aranjas dudes at the start, evoking real cheap unga bunga scenes from gloriously crappy B movies of yore.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFBmIwlrPdY

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Monica Bellucci posted:

At least there isn't a sky beam.

PEPSI COLA

Edit: "It's not safe to land, you'll have to get high" AHAHAHA JESUS

I have had to pause to stop laughing. The bad guy was destroyed by (girl) P.

Incorrect, it was girl

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's a fireworks warehouse with a huge Pepsi ad on top of it, not a Pepsi factory. But I also thought the fireworks warehouse was burning down earlier in the movie.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

There's one cut at the end with the two pepsi bottles where one of the bottles DOES NOT have its logo facing the camera. I hope they fired a whole lot of people for that blunder.

Beyond the death by the small p in Pepsi this movie has nothing to meme with, sad, doomed to be forgotten. At least Morbius gave us the Milo dance and Morbin' time.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The sequence with Jill Hennessy is astonishingly gently caress stupid and has many line readings beamed in from several galaxies over.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

If i take the bat genes from Morbius and the spider venom from this one, do I turn into a Spiderbat? Batspider??

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I reckon it depends on the order.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sporbius

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The rumour I've heard is theres some kind of contract clause with marvel that means only one live action Peter Parker Spiderman can be around at a time, hence why the baby is never named. This combined with the other rumour that the original plot was some kind of thing centring around the predicted birth of Peter Parker suggests that was the case of the awful ADR/villain with no motivation stuff.

if thats the case though it would be wild to think the movie got that far into production before someone was like 'uh, guys...'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked how the villain can kill someone by touching their wrist for a few seconds but when he does it to MADAME WEB it doesn't work because it was only for a little bit and they take the time to explain that in movie like the green water in Darkplace.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

G-III posted:

3. A teenage girl's desire to dance for cute boys in their vicinity cannot be stopped by the otherworldly fear of a man in a gruesome spiderman costume with strange powers trying to and nearly successfully kill you.

this bit is particularly good because in Cassie's vision, Sydney Sweeney's character yells out, "it's not what it looks like!", so the audience is primed for some kind of comic twist or surprise development when the diner scene starts to play out from the girls' perspective,

and then, no, it's exactly what it looked like.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

massive spider posted:

The rumour I've heard is theres some kind of contract clause with marvel that means only one live action Peter Parker Spiderman can be around at a time, hence why the baby is never named. This combined with the other rumour that the original plot was some kind of thing centring around the predicted birth of Peter Parker suggests that was the case of the awful ADR/villain with no motivation stuff.

if thats the case though it would be wild to think the movie got that far into production before someone was like 'uh, guys...'

Character embargoes are the dumbest poo poo, my DCAU homies can back me up

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
The thing I don't see people talking about which I find loving hilarious is that fifteen years later a young Peter Parker is going to design a cool new costume for his superhero alter ego that bears similarities to either A) Tribe of Spider People in the Amazon or B) A wall crawling maniac that killed a bunch of cops, untold collateral damage and then got a pepsi/fireworks factory to blow up.

I don't blame J Jonah Jameson anymore.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Like if there was a big new pop star called "Unabomber" who had shed-themed cover art and toured exclusively university campuses.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ol' Petey shows up to his wrestling match as the Zodiac Killer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It sucked finding out that Sweeney got all enthusiastic for her character and was really down for the Julia Cornwall spinoff until this bombed. (Answering a question from way back in the thread, Carpenter is her married name.) The Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman is one of my favorite B-tier Marvel characters, it's probably gonna be a long time before she gets another chance on the big screen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought Sweeney was kind of bad in this, and there are perfectly good performances in the film so I dunno if the overall quality of this film is much of an excuse.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
The direction certainty didn't help considering Dakota Johnson was amazing in Suspiria and Tahar Rahim in Prophet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly thought Johnson managed to pull something decent out of this. Her character sounds intensely dismissive the entire time, but in ways that add a touch of campy irony to her performance of her character's arc. I don't think it's a performance that would work in a less lovely film, but I found her presence effective.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

SirDrone posted:

The thing I don't see people talking about which I find loving hilarious is that fifteen years later a young Peter Parker is going to design a cool new costume for his superhero alter ego that bears similarities to either A) Tribe of Spider People in the Amazon or B) A wall crawling maniac that killed a bunch of cops, untold collateral damage and then got a pepsi/fireworks factory to blow up.

I don't blame J Jonah Jameson anymore.

It's not like it's going to be a concern after MW's box office, but it's incredible that the movie clammily attempts to treat the birth of Peter Parker as a momentous event that will have fans hollering from their seats, while also completely devaluing his importance as a character, since NYC will likely have three Spider-Women already running around by the time he shows up and I guess he's just going to rip off their idea?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

does sony have black cat? coulda printed some dang money with a sidney sweeney movie there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

That DICK! posted:

does sony have black cat? coulda printed some dang money with a sidney sweeney movie there.

Yes, they actually had Felicia in AMS2 played by Felicity Jones for a spin off or sequel that never happened.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lid posted:

Yes, they actually had Felicia in AMS2 played by Felicity Jones for a spin off or sequel that never happened.

"Have you met my secretary..." [executive character turns to stare directly into the camera] "... Felicia Hardy?"

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Thinkin' about that pepsi sign...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiAkk78Oyg

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

8one6 posted:

"Have you met my secretary..." [executive character turns to stare directly into the camera] "... Felicia Hardy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPVmFuLVBg

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

McSpanky posted:

Character embargoes are the dumbest poo poo, my DCAU homies can back me up

YES

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Oof. This screenshot hurts to look at.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was thinking I was going to watch this movie in spite of everything anyone has said about it.
Thank you to this thread for changing my mind.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just watch a supercut of Dakota Johnson fumbling with a can of Pepsi and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

tadashi posted:

I was thinking I was going to watch this movie in spite of everything anyone has said about it.
Thank you to this thread for changing my mind.

it's good