Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom Hardy is a weirdo and apparently loves doing funny voices in movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember trying to get into Taboo, but I couldn't because I couldn't understand a single loving word he was saying.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I thought Tom Hardy in Venom sounded like he was doing a Charlie Day in It's Always Sunny impression half the time.

I know a lot of people liked Venom 2, as far as these things go it's fine, but it seemed a little too satisfied with itself for being goofy. Whereas, the first one has Tom Hardy jumping into a lobster tank and taking a bite from a lobster -- which the director was adamantly against until Hardy won out.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember trying to get into Taboo, but I couldn't because I couldn't understand a single loving word he was saying.

Tom Hardy wants to be Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders, so he had the writer of Peaky Blinders write Taboo so he could be Tom Hardy Cillian Murphy in Taboo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm just assuming they gave his Peaky Blinders character lung cancer to justify him talking like that.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Halloween Jack posted:

Taboo is not good, but it has such a singleminded dedication that it's very watchable. Tom Hardy stalks into scene. Other characters quaver at the sight of him. One puts up a small bit of resistance. He growls and they run away. A woman propositions him. He reacts the same way. Cut to powerful figure cursing him, wondering how they can defeat him. Repeat.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hoping it's outright terrible, boring would be even worse.

At least Morbius spawned a lot of fun memes. I don't think this film will be doing the same.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's already spawned more memes than Morbius and it hasn't even released

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

nonathlon posted:

Taboo is not good, but it has such a singleminded dedication that it's very watchable. Tom Hardy stalks into scene. Other characters quaver at the sight of him. One puts up a small bit of resistance. He growls and they run away. A woman propositions him. He reacts the same way. Cut to powerful figure cursing him, wondering how they can defeat him. Repeat.

I like it well enough but I am quite aware that it is a vanity wank. If they ever get around to season 2 I hope they have the balls to hire Cillian Murphy as Taboo Alfie Solomons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

koolkal posted:

It's already spawned more memes than Morbius and it hasn't even released

All the memes are just reheated Morbius ones like it’ll make webilliob dollars or whatever

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is a Webillion more or less than an Argyllion?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Can you convert them into Venom nickels?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
They've cut the "right before she died" line from the latest trailer :smith:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Carpet posted:

They've cut the "right before she died" line from the latest trailer :smith:

#BringBackMadameWebsMomToDeath

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Monica Bellucci posted:

Tom Hardy wants to be Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders, so he had the writer of Peaky Blinders write Taboo so he could be Tom Hardy Cillian Murphy in Taboo.

Even better: he had his dad do it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

nonathlon posted:

It has the exact energy of a Steven Seagal movie from the late 80s, it rules.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Taboo was one of those shows where, in one season, I went from "wow this is a fun, moody show" to "okay Tom Hardy wrote his own supervillain harem anime."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Weird, there don't seem to be any reviews out yet, even though it comes out in just 2 days. Huh

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 12, 2024

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Weird, there don't seem to be any reviews out yet, even though it comes out in just 2 days. Huh

I believe this promotional strategy is called “bolting the lid onto the diarrhea cauldron.”

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 12, 2024

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is a perfect description of Taboo, just perfect.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
It’s madame’ing time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It looks like a CW show

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
like end of Flash level CW

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Adrianics posted:

I haven't seen Venom 2 but quite enjoyed Venom 1 because it's abundantly clear that Hardy has nothing but contempt for the character. His performance is completely ridiculous, at times he sounds like Droopy, and the script has golden moments like Venom bellowing "ON MY PLANET I AM A LOSER". He reminds me a lot of the extremely goofy version of Venom that's in the PS1 Spider-Man game.

He was fairly accurate to how Venom was portrayed in the 90s back when he had a solo series. Just this pathetic and unhinged loser living in a shithole wearing an alien costume that's considered a pariah among its own race.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Adrianics posted:

I haven't seen Venom 2 but quite enjoyed Venom 1 because it's abundantly clear that Hardy has nothing but contempt for the character. His performance is completely ridiculous, at times he sounds like Droopy, and the script has golden moments like Venom bellowing "ON MY PLANET I AM A LOSER". He reminds me a lot of the extremely goofy version of Venom that's in the PS1 Spider-Man game.

Honestly, I think Hardy enjoys the character. He gets that its an "Odd Couple" alien antihero concept, and he turns each characters' eccentricities up to eleven.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How? Does he run funny or something?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

No Mods No Masters posted:

https://www.avclub.com/madame-web-review-dakota-johnson-in-a-spidey-project-1851250769

quote:

At the press screening I attended in New York City, there weren’t just audible groans of despair and sighs of discontent. There was outright cackling and many a “you’ve GOT to be kidding me!” yells peppered throughout a collective two-hour exercise in disdainful shock that this all made it onto the screen. Much of this was prompted by the dialogue, but also by the shaky and self-consciously deployed music video-like cinematography and the schlocky visual effects which make Madame Web look not too far from a CW show without, sadly, the winking sense of humor to pull off such a camp-adjacent sensibility (this is textbook failed self-seriousness).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

well now i know it's going to be good

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Honestly, I think Hardy enjoys the character. He gets that its an "Odd Couple" alien antihero concept, and he turns each characters' eccentricities up to eleven.

It took a long time for the comic writers to realize that the symbiotes should be able to speak to their hosts. Or at least speak in a way the reader could understand. Usually it would just be Eddie Brock having a one-way conversation.

Then in the mid-2000s there was a comic called Venom/Carnage that had a scene of Cletus chilling in his apartment, casually ironing his clothes while he and the Carnage symbiote bickered like an old married couple. It was a brief bit, but I always wanted to see more of that.

So I really enjoyed what Hardy did with the characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

How? Does he run funny or something?

Seagal didn't rocket up to top of Action Mountain, however briefly, on a funny run.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Critics comparing this to Cats means I will probably watch it on streaming. I’m so curious

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Well this definitely, uh..

Well its a movie. Its absolutely a movie.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1757198658359951686?s=20

(What the gently caress?)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Epk clips for movies are always edited like poo poo for some reason.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Well this definitely, uh..

Well its a movie. Its absolutely a movie.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1757198658359951686?s=20

(What the gently caress?)

The review posted above says (I feel stupid spoilering this but I guess someone will want to see it fresh for their own reasons) That a Pepsi billboards S and P comes into play in the films climax so I guess thats the S in the water and the P will be followed by a contextual I D E R for whatever reason

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Are we really seeing the death throes of live action superhero movies, or is this just a horrible goddamned mess unto itself?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
it is dead, but it be a disservice to blame it on this and Marvels, they're just bad from conception. Its been direction-less since No Way Home

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Superhero movies have been dead since after Avengers Endgame — COVID just made it harder to notice for a while.

GotG3 did well because it was the last time anyone was going to see the characters they actually cared about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GateOfD posted:

it is dead, but it be a disservice to blame it on this and Marvels, they're just bad from conception. Its been direction-less since No Way Home

It was directionless since Endgame, since that was the end of the MCU's story. But it was still making so much money there was no thought to ever stop. And competing companies saw no reason to stop trying to ape Marvel's continuing success. They kept going through familiarity and momentum until last year, when we saw multiple superhero movies underperform. That was exacerbated by the simultaneous plateauing of streaming revenue

A lot of the movies that were in production last year are still going to come out. But in 2025 and beyond I expect significantly reduced slates of superhero movies, as companies diversify their offerings to try to find the next big thing.

Basically I think of 2020-2022 as the zombie era of superhero movies, where they just kept coming out because why wouldn't they? 2023 was the death knell, and 2024 is the post-mortem spontaneous defecation where the body expels what was already inside it.

Which means we're probably never going to get the Black Knight movie teased at the end of The Eternals :(

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
And now the MCU space stuff is, what, Eternals? Gimme Rom you bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably super heroes were always going to end up going down the path of westerns in the long run.

But here in the thread about iconic character madame web, I really wonder if the decision to rotate out all the characters anyone cared about accelerated the bust