Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Which means we're probably never going to get the Black Knight movie teased at the end of The Eternals :(

You'll always have the Martin Lawrence version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

It was directionless since Endgame, since that was the end of the MCU's story.
Exactly. They had a plan, there were some movies that sort of tied in, and culminated with a giant "smashing toys together" battle and heroic sacrifice.

Then they realized they could squeeze a lot more money out of rubes expecting the same level of planning and quality.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably super heroes were always going to end up going down the path of westerns in the long run.

But here in the thread about iconic character madame web, I really wonder if the decision to rotate out all the characters anyone cared about accelerated the bust

The problem is just that real life has linear time unlike comic books. Since they apparently don't want to recast existing characters, it was just a matter of time that all the big names they started off with are tapering off, so now they're having to scrape the barrel. You have to presume Feige is eyeing that "break glass on X-Men in case of emergency" option.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
at least you can tell Madame Web is low budget since it looks cheaper than a CW show..
80mil...oh lord...what have they done.

well its Sony Marvel being Sony, so can't lump it in with the MCU stagnation.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The problem is just that real life has linear time unlike comic books. Since they apparently don't want to recast existing characters, it was just a matter of time that all the big names they started off with are tapering off, so now they're having to scrape the barrel. You have to presume Feige is eyeing that "break glass on X-Men in case of emergency" option.

Part of the reason a Shazam sequel was a total non-starter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/madame-web/

It's a disaster

And it's a boring disaster so it won't even get Cats like "what the gently caress"

There will be no Skimbleshanks

The railway cat

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lid posted:

It's a disaster

And it's a boring disaster so it won't even get Cats like "what the gently caress"

The railway cat

The cat of the railway train?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Oh they removed from the final cut the Amazon death line. They were bullied so hard they won't even let us have the memes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A lot of bad movies get made, this one just happens to be in the superhero genre. I dont think the genre is necessarily at fault, although maybe fans and creators tend to get tired of working inside one universe after a certain time (the DCAU lasted 14 years, matching up timeline wise to when people started to cool on the MCU). Sony just seems to have bad leadership when it comes to greenlighting competent scripts in this genre, outside of Spiderverse. So they can't even get a chance to have a 14 year run of generally quality entertainment.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lid posted:

It's a disaster

The railway cat

It might!

Rolling Stone posted:

Well, having now seen this tangled-up IP gossamer firsthand, we can say that Madame Web isn’t as bad as its somewhat botched promotional campaign might suggest. It is, in fact, way worse. A genuine Chernobyl-level disaster that seems to get exponentially more radioactive as it goes along, this detour to one of the dustier corners of Marvel’s content farm is a dead end from start to finish. It is the Cats: The Movie of superhero movies. Not a single decision seems of sound mind. Not a single performance feels in sync with the material. Not a single line reading feels as if it hasn’t somehow been magically Auto-Tuned to subtract emotion and/or inflection. The sole amazing factor of this Spider spinoff is that someone, somewhere signed off on actually releasing it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The genre isn't the fault as much as the content. There is no story, no pathos, to Madame Web as a character to be adapted. They just exist as a thing. Take the recent bad Thor movie, it was terrible, but Christian Bale as Gorr the God Butcher was great because Gorr as originally written was great and the adaptation managed to somehow maintain that in a movie he didn't belong in.

It's also why I find it loving funny they are running ahead with a Kraven movie because the only Kraven story worth adapting is the one he died in and that required decades of knowing he as a character was a joke even to the audience. Kraven being a joke is why Kraven's Last Hunt worked. If he was a good character the story would've made no sense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just wait until this makes a Webillion dollars

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
When Sony got the rights to Spider-Man they got the rights to all his supplementary characters, heroes and villains alike, except for Punisher and a few others.

All this poo poo about the Kraven and Morbius and Madame Web is just corporate suits who have never read a comic book or given a single second to trying to understand the audience saying "well we own Spider-Man's friends, and Spider-Man is a big hit, so presumably these people want to see his friends and villains in movies" and then making them. It's pure IP strip-mining for dollars.

They don't understand that almost nobody cares about these characters beyond their relationship to Spider-Man.

They find some creatives who don't give a gently caress at all about what they're working on and want the paycheck. They go through the motions, they produce A Movie and then the movie gets released and it sucks, because there is zero passion behind it. It's fully art as product, and it's death.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So I posted Dakota doing this angst press run was a bit weird as she signed up for it and auditioned. Turns out she heard that.

https://www.thewrap.com/madame-web-script-changes-dakota-johnson/

Hit the ground running as soon as reviews dropped to note that this was NOT the movie she signed up for and the entire script was changed. So now she's blaming the writers and director. To be fair the director is one if the credited writers.

But yes she must know this might sink her and she is continuing to burn them all down.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So when do we get the Dakota Cut

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

There's an even bigger sign there's a cat of the railway train

There's an entire action set piece timed with choreography and synced to Britney Spears Toxic.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ccs posted:

A lot of bad movies get made, this one just happens to be in the superhero genre. I dont think the genre is necessarily at fault, although maybe fans and creators tend to get tired of working inside one universe after a certain time (the DCAU lasted 14 years, matching up timeline wise to when people started to cool on the MCU). Sony just seems to have bad leadership when it comes to greenlighting competent scripts in this genre, outside of Spiderverse. So they can't even get a chance to have a 14 year run of generally quality entertainment.

I think a big issue is that really bad movies in the genre draw attention to how formulaic a lot of the rest of it is. A lot of the marvel stuff are basically the same movie and it's wearing thin, and the Sony movies being the knockoff version just adds to the fatigue.

I dont think the superhero movie is entirely dead, there will be something along that gets people excited again but it probably has peaked.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I expect many deadpool 3 zingers about terrible spinoffs like this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

#BringBackMadameWebsMomToDeath

#RestoreTheSeniorDeath

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gavok posted:

The cat of the railway train?
"He was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching cats just before she got run over by a train..."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
"The ADR mishaps are so pronounced that it transforms the experience into something akin to watching a poorly dubbed foreign film, particularly with Ezekiel’s character, where the audio and actor are misaligned. The special effects seem unfinished, which made me wonder if they were ever fully rendered to begin with. Such blatant oversight not only distracts but also detracts from the storytelling, making the audience painfully aware of the film’s unfinishedness."

We dubbed him wrong, as a joke.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People seem to be seriously misremembering the path the superhero trend has taken, which is understandable because it is fifteen years old now - but it's commonly blamed on "the characters people cared about went away" and "the franchise is directionless now." The path to Thanos was absolutely filled with retcons and inconsistencies until he was just suddenly in the Milky Way like that Monty Python hill gag, MCU Phases 1-3 are a mess in terms of franchise planning, and people also rather famously did not care about the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America, or even Iron Man when their movies came out. Like, I'm old enough to remember in 2008 that ALL the hype was reserved for The Dark Knight, and the general response to Iron Man was "oh hey, this blockbuster about a B-tier Marvel character turned out pretty good too."

If I had to guess about what may have actually killed it, I honestly think it may be a value proposition. The Marvel TV shows boast astounding budgets and production values for television shows, and the movies simultaneously got worse in terms of both special effects and every other aspect of filmmaking until they were eventually of mostly equal quality. So the question became: do you spend $17 to watch 90 minutes of The Marvels, or $8 for a month of Disney Plus and get a new hour of Loki every week?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pirate Jet posted:

People seem to be seriously misremembering the path the superhero trend has taken, which is understandable because it is fifteen years old now -

I disagree because this film feels like a throwback to the halcyon days of after Spider-Man but before Iron Man where we got a bunch of music video directors making Spider-Man clones like Daredevil and Catwoman. This film feels like a throwback to those days, and like now they're corporate "holy gently caress we have these characters and this us billions let's make it" by people who have no idea what those properties are.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lid posted:

I disagree because this film feels like a throwback to the halcyon days of after Spider-Man but before Iron Man where we got a bunch of music video directors making Spider-Man clones like Daredevil and Catwoman. This film feels like a throwback to those days, and like now they're corporate "holy gently caress we have these characters and this us billions let's make it" by people who have no idea what those properties are.

I agree with everything you just said! I just wasn’t talking about Madame Web, I was challenging the common explanations as to why superhero movies as a genre have had such a downturn lately.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
superhero movies are on a downturn cuz the last dozen or so have been bad. very bad, with very few exceptions. if the movies were good, they wouldn't be having this problem

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

superhero movies are on a downturn cuz the last dozen or so have been bad. very bad, with very few exceptions. if the movies were good, they wouldn't be having this problem

Counterpoint: 95% of superhero movies are bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Yep

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was gonna make a joke about someone coming in to say that

Very cliche lol

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

I agree with everything you just said! I just wasn’t talking about Madame Web, I was challenging the common explanations as to why superhero movies as a genre have had such a downturn lately.

If you're talking about why the non-MCU movies have been bad, like one of the posters mentioned above it was stone-faced business suits creating shovelware with the IPs they managed to own and splattershotting films until one hopefully sticks, but none of them really did so it padded out your genre with a huge amount of glut.

In regards to the MCU, it's more a case that it simply was no longer sustainable to maintain. For this next saga they had absolutely no long-term battle plan, no easy jumping in point for casuals, had practically exhausted their entire catalogue of heroes, and went with the worst plot decision imaginable of a Multiverse, where the stakes could not possibly be any lower in your narrative. They lost the trust of the casual viewer and I doubt they'll ever get it back.

White Light fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 14, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only reason they needed to do the multiverse was to get tobey and Andrew back. Who cares now.

Wolverine is a bonus but that’s honestly cool bc of jackman and Reynolds friendships.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A multiverse absolutely could have worked if the big threat was Incursions. That’s pretty much the only way you can get bigger than half of everyone dying; a whole other universe is going to hit ours.

But instead they went with Kang.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gripweed posted:

A multiverse absolutely could have worked if the big threat was Incursions. That’s pretty much the only way you can get bigger than half of everyone dying; a whole other universe is going to hit ours.

But instead they went with Kang.

The threat is still Incursions. They make a big enough deal out of it in Dr. Strange 2 and even the post-credits in Ant-Man 3 have the Kangs talk about how poo poo is breaking down across the multiverse.

Kang is still a problem because while MCU post-Endgame was very hit-or-miss and spread out too thin, there was still a semblance of a direction: the next age of heroes is taking form and they will eventually have to stop this multiversal threat that Kang represents. Unfortunately, for his spotlight movie, which they made a big deal out of for being the huge starting point for Phase 5, it was on the bottom rung of the MCU and came out with a thud. Then immediately after, Majors was revealed to be terrible and that poisoned the well. They either have to recast him or they're casually throwing away a villain before they had a chance to really explain him.

There's a lot riding on Deadpool & Wolverine because Cap 4 and Thunderbolts probably aren't going to give the MCU a shot in the arm on their own. Especially with Cap 4 seemingly being a giant mess already.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I thought Kang's deal was alternate timelines, not alternate dimensions.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gripweed posted:

I thought Kang's deal was alternate timelines, not alternate dimensions.

It's basically both. I mean, there's a full-on blue lizard Kang in the Ant-Man 3 post-credits and I guess Victor Timely's supposed to be "Kang but in a different time period," so however that works.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
With all this talk of Madame Web being the superhero genre's version of Cats 2019 I have only one question:

Is there also a Butthole Cut?

(Release the Cats 2019 Butthole Cut, you cowards!!!)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"the multiverse" is a total trap for movie execs and comic writers alike. Execs hear "all your favourite characters in one story" and writers hear "extremely self-referential crisis on infinite worlds nonsense", neither of which is an actual story.

Everything Everywhere used the concept to pick at the idea of what makes you "you", Spider-verse used it to put a sci-fi gloss on having a friend from across the country, and The Flash used it to plaster a big advert for Warner Brothers across the third act. There's no real connection between the three.

I don't think you can point to a single cause for the MCU struggling where it previously seemed unstoppable, it's gonna be a combination of losing the characters/actors people liked, losing the sense of everything building to a climax however tenuously, the films themselves having taken a dip in quality (people I know who loved Thor 3 hated Thor 4!) and the sense that you now have to be tracking a bunch of Disney+ series to be getting "the whole story". While the MCU was huge it was self-sustaining, it succeeded because it was succeeding. Fixing that might be impossible - certainly all the attempts to replicate the formula have failed.

anyway gonna book a premium seat for MADAME WEBM this weekend

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bogus Adventure posted:

With all this talk of Madame Web being the superhero genre's version of Cats 2019 I have only one question:

Is there also a Butthole Cut?

(Release the Cats 2019 Butthole Cut, you cowards!!!)

Everyone who made it is a butthole

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-14/madame-web-movie-review-even-dakota-johnson-seems-to-know-it-s-very-very-bad

Reviews now reviewing Dakota Johnson's press tour instead.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cats is like the opposite of CONTENT; that’s one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much— whatever else you can say about it, it is not a movie that plays things safe so much as a movie that lights itself on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
S K I M B L E S H AN K S