Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lid posted:

So I posted Dakota doing this angst press run was a bit weird as she signed up for it and auditioned. Turns out she heard that.

https://www.thewrap.com/madame-web-script-changes-dakota-johnson/

Hit the ground running as soon as reviews dropped to note that this was NOT the movie she signed up for and the entire script was changed. So now she's blaming the writers and director. To be fair the director is one if the credited writers.

But yes she must know this might sink her and she is continuing to burn them all down.
I said it before and I'll say it again; the only proper way to handle being in Madame Web is to go full Michael Caine.

quote:

I have never seen it (Jaws 4) but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bill Cosby, rapist, did the same thing like 30 or 40 years ago as Dakota about Leonard Part 6 or sone poo poo. Except he went further and went on TV to tell people to not watch it it was so poo poo. Jim Carrey did too to a lesser extent with Kick rear end 2.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What is Madame Web's whole thing anyways? The only passing knowledge I have of this lady was from that one episode in the 90s Spiderman show where she sat in a chair to make exposition dumps over something I can't be bothered to remember.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bogus Adventure posted:

With all this talk of Madame Web being the superhero genre's version of Cats 2019 I have only one question:

Is there also a Butthole Cut?

(Release the Cats 2019 Butthole Cut, you cowards!!!)

The version of the movie where the webs come out of the butthole.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

White Light posted:

What is Madame Web's whole thing anyways? The only passing knowledge I have of this lady was from that one episode in the 90s Spiderman show where she sat in a chair to make exposition dumps over something I can't be bothered to remember.

Madame Web is a clairvoyant and precognitive mutant[1] who first appears to help Spider-Man find a kidnapping victim. She is not one of the mutants who lost their power during the "Decimation" storyline. In "Grim Hunt", she is attacked by Ana Kravinoff and her mother Sasha, who kill her, but before she dies she is able to pass her powers of precognition as well as her blindness on to Julia Carpenter, who becomes the next Madame Web. Webb is subsequently resurrected by Ben Reilly before succumbing to the Carrion Virus. Webb is the grandmother of the fourth Spider-Woman, Charlotte Witter.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone who made it is a butthole

Now I'm imagining a movie where all the actors' faces are replaced with anuses

Gavok posted:

The version of the movie where the webs come out of the butthole.

Or this

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

vegetables posted:

Cats is like the opposite of CONTENT; that’s one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much— whatever else you can say about it, it is not a movie that plays things safe so much as a movie that lights itself on fire

:same:

Cats is ambitious in its badness. It's a cacophony of colors, sounds, and uncanny valley that can drive the viewer to the brink of madness. There are brief respites of good moments. I really enjoyed Victoria's song, their takes on Mungojerrie, Rumpleteazer, and Mister Mistoffelees, and nothing can ruin SKIMBLESHANKS.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Bogus Adventure posted:

:same:

Cats is ambitious in its badness. It's a cacophony of colors, sounds, and uncanny valley that can drive the viewer to the brink of madness. There are brief respites of good moments. I really enjoyed Victoria's song, their takes on Mungojerrie, Rumpleteazer, and Mister Mistoffelees, and nothing can ruin SKIMBLESHANKS.

I don’t drink much these days, but I saw Cats at a mostly empty Studio Movie Grill and suddenly got a spider-sense tingling that I should get a margarita, and doing so made what followed a lot more pleasant

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

vegetables posted:

Cats is like the opposite of CONTENT; that’s one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much— whatever else you can say about it, it is not a movie that plays things safe so much as a movie that lights itself on fire

I disagree, Cats played it incredibly safe. It took a popular existing property, added an audience-insert main character and a new song by a mega-popular pop star. It even changed the songs from cast numbers to solos so they could have all the named cats played by a star who gets their own number.

Cats went out of its way to play it safe, but the execution of that safeness was done by an alien.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Some directors just don't really understand how special fx or vfx work. Tom Hooper was actually competent with directing the first couple episodes of His Dark Materials which also has a lot of vfx, but it was "safe" vfx in terms of talking animals (done by premier talking animal vfx studio Framestore) and a lot of set extensions and matte paintings. Cats was a vfx undertaking that has never been tried before or since. The process is so convoluted and costly that its a wonder any studio survived it.

Madame Web on the other hand... the time travel segments from the trailer look like some complicated vfx, I'm sure that was the most expensive bits of the movie. But one of the top vfx studios, Digital Domain, worked on a lot of this film so I'm a bit confused why most of the film looks so basic. Like, they do good work usually and have a lot of senior talent.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1757802255216963997?s=20

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Cats went out of its way to play it safe, but the execution of that safeness was done by an alien.

I suppose that’s true. I remember the director saying that with the scene where Rebel Wilson eats a bunch of dancing human cockroaches, their concern was that it shouldn’t come across as too sexy. And, indeed, it doesn’t seem sexy at all

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

CharlestonJew posted:

superhero movies are on a downturn cuz the last dozen or so have been bad. very bad, with very few exceptions. if the movies were good, they wouldn't be having this problem

I got curious about this so threw the last 3ish years of movies onto a really basic chart (100 pt normalized scores on left, $$$ on right):

Log($) version:

While there used to be some correlation between critic scores and $$$, it does seem like in the past year there's been a drop off across the board.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
"The signs are there pretty much from the jump, but it isn’t until Mis-Teeq’s “Scandalous” is dropped in during an action sequence that it becomes shockingly obvious how much Madame Web has in common with the 2004 Catwoman starring Halle Berry in terms of both films feeling like doomed misfires from the very beginning."

Why did it take til this review to note an action piece is set to this iconic history. Does Madame Web secretly have a playground basketball match too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1kE0MMfr20

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So the Spider-Girls don't even get costumes in the movie and the shots we see are like brief future glimpses lol

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
So, Surf Dracula (part one), then? That's some egregious poo poo, man.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Codependent Poster posted:

So the Spider-Girls don't even get costumes in the movie and the shots we see are like brief future glimpses lol

This whole time I was assuming there was a bunch of superhero stuff in the movie they weren’t showing in the trailer because they were afraid of superhero fatigue.

I guess it’s the opposite, they were really showing everything they had.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hasturtium posted:

I don’t drink much these days, but I saw Cats at a mostly empty Studio Movie Grill and suddenly got a spider-sense tingling that I should get a margarita, and doing so made what followed a lot more pleasant

I'm glad I saw it sober to get the full mind-melting effect, but I will definitely rewatch it drunk. It's a movie that deserves to get the same treatment as The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

vegetables posted:

I suppose that’s true. I remember the director saying that with the scene where Rebel Wilson eats a bunch of dancing human cockroaches, their concern was that it shouldn’t come across as too sexy. And, indeed, it doesn’t seem sexy at all

On the other hand, we now know that Gumbie Cats swallow

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In the hospital, Mattie says that Ben is enjoying being an uncle with "all the fun and none of the responsibility," before Cassie quips, "That’s what he thinks."

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I thought this movie was about as enjoyable as Venom, though much less “well made.” Dakota Johnson’s performance is very weird in a way that worked pretty well for me. The script is trash though lol. The scene where Cassie starts talking about her dead mom at the baby shower was genuinely funny.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/alex_abads/status/1758123310980706367?s=20

Whats the name of the medication you take after being cast in a Marvel movie.

Like, Capextra or something like that?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NorgLyle posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again; the only proper way to handle being in Madame Web is to go full Michael Caine.

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1758158780775231493

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

I heard there’s a scene where one mentions she always wanted to be a Girl Scout while around a campfire, then they leave and they all just leave the fire burning

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GateOfD posted:

I heard there’s a scene where one mentions she always wanted to be a Girl Scout while around a campfire, then they leave and they all just leave the fire burning

well if she always wanted to be a girl scout then she never was, so that makes sense

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I worked on Cats so I had seen each shot probably dozens of times by the time it hit theaters, but it was amazing to watch with a crowd. When Judi Dench says 'you really are a jellicle cat" to Victoria at the end, a girl in the theater shouted "WHAT??"

We partied more on the production of that movie than any job I've ever had. Constantly working overtime followed by parties for like 10 straight months. Then covid hit and I didn't see any of those people for another year and a half.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DeimosRising posted:

well if she always wanted to be a girl scout then she never was, so that makes sense

Yeah it’s called dramatic irony.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
they came in to clean the theatre after the credits stopped rolling and they found me in the chair all shriveled up like that guy in The Ring that watched the tape

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

you were waiting for the next showing to see it twice, you're cursed to

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had a great time watching this movie. Of course I was drunk and watching it for free with my co-workers as we heckled it (amongst ourselves so as not to annoy the rest of the minimal audience although sometimes something was just so ridiculous I couldn’t help but laugh super loud). There is a lot of “it’s 2003!!!!!” stuff (including a very blatantly photoshopped Dangerously In Love poster and a bit where Toxic plays on the radio and the DJ is like “this song’s gonna be huge!” - no poo poo, you idiot, it’s a new Britney song in 2003 [Toxic also wasn’t released as a single until 2004, but that’s the least of this movie’s problems]) and a lot of Pepsi product placement.

Madame Web’s best friend (played by Adam Scott!) is Uncle Ben and his sister-in-law is pregnant but they can never say the name of the kid even after it’s born. They also seem to not be able to say the classic Spider-Man line as it was originally written so you get multiple phrases like “when you assume great responsibility, great power will come” and poo poo. I haven’t seen the Venoms or Morbius but do they tap-dance around this stuff in the same way? It was bizarre.

Early on Madame Web steals a taxi in order to chase after someone or something and then she’s driving it around for the rest of the movie, including after a part where she goes to Peru for a week. Was the stolen taxi just parked at the airport for a week? She literally stole it right in front of the driver, did he not report it stolen at any point?

At the end she is blind and in a wheelchair just like in the comics simply because…..idk, she was underwater for too long, or something. Water do be blinding and crippling people.

Dakota Johnson is good and the kids range from good (Sydney Sweeney) to passable (the skater one with a baaaaaad attitude) but Tahar Rahim is giving of the worst performances I’ve ever seen. I know I’ve seen that guy be good before but this is appalling and the ADR doesn’t help. Also Zosia Mamet plays a hacker for the bad guy and her whole performance has this undercurrent of “why tf did they cast me to play a hacker?”

This poo poo is worse than The Flash

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

She got hit in the eyes by fireworks. Idk why she was in the wheelchair though.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I guess she didn't see that coming.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dads love Madame Web. "For some reason".

https://twitter.com/jonathanmb32/status/1758530413595664419

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

and a bit where Toxic plays on the radio and the DJ is like “this song’s gonna be huge!” - no poo poo, you idiot, it’s a new Britney song in 2003 [Toxic also wasn’t released as a single until 2004, but that’s the least of this movie’s problems]

Madame Web vindicated, 6 stations in Radio & Records' sample of 50 stations reported adding Toxic to their playlist in early December 2003, over a month ahead of being released as a single :v.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is she able to see that Iraq doesn't have any WMD?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Escobarbarian posted:

Madame Web’s best friend (played by Adam Scott!) is Uncle Ben and his sister-in-law is pregnant but they can never say the name of the kid even after it’s born. They also seem to not be able to say the classic Spider-Man line as it was originally written so you get multiple phrases like “when you assume great responsibility, great power will come” and poo poo. I haven’t seen the Venoms or Morbius but do they tap-dance around this stuff in the same way? It was bizarre.

yeah, it's pretty baffling that the Parker family is so prominent in the film, given that not only is baby Peter left unnamed, but that Ben and Mary's connection to the future Spider-Man plays no role to speak of in the actual plot (there's no indication at all that either Madame Web or Ezekiel have any awareness of his future). There were alleged plot leaks last year that had a much more significant role for the unborn Spider-Man, sort of akin to John Connor's role in the plot of the original Terminator, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was one of the biggest things to change in rewrites and reshoots; that version still probably would have sucked, but at least some of the narrative choices here would have made more sense. It also might at least partially explain why so much of Tahar Rahim's dialogue is ADRed in, since excising that plot point would have significantly changed his motivation.

also, the flash-forwards take place, what, ten years in the future? so in this universe, there are already going to be four Spider-heroines running around with costumes and powers derivative of Spider-Man while Peter Parker is still in elementary school? And why were the three Spider-Women even going to kill Ezekiel in the first place?

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 16, 2024

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Escobarbarian posted:

At the end she is blind and in a wheelchair just like in the comics simply because…..idk, she was underwater for too long, or something. Water do be blinding and crippling people.

she also starts speaking much more enigmatically than she has for the rest of the film, for no readily apparent reason, but I guess it does make her more faithful to the Madame Web from the comics, though!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it’s called dramatic irony.

yeah this is being described as if it's some kind of gaff but it's clearly just...that's the joke

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i woulda actually been kinda interested in a comic movie about an old lady. probably wouldnt see it still but it would be neat. and sydney sweeney could still be there

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GateOfD posted:

you were waiting for the next showing to see it twice, you're cursed to

that doesn't work, you have to pay twice you little money piggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, it's pretty baffling that the Parker family is so prominent in the film, given that not only is baby Peter left unnamed, but that Ben and Mary's connection to the future Spider-Man plays no role to speak of in the actual plot (there's no indication at all that either Madame Web or Ezekiel have any awareness of his future). There were alleged plot leaks last year that had a much more significant role for the unborn Spider-Man, sort of akin to John Connor's role in the plot of the original Terminator, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was one of the biggest things to change in rewrites and reshoots; that version still probably would have sucked, but at least some of the narrative choices here would have made more sense. It also might at least partially explain why so much of Tahar Rahim's dialogue is ADRed in, since excising that plot point would have significantly changed his motivation.

also, the flash-forwards take place, what, ten years in the future? so in this universe, there are already going to be four Spider-heroines running around with costumes and powers derivative of Spider-Man while Peter Parker is still in elementary school? And why were the three Spider-Women even going to kill Ezekiel in the first place?

It's funny that Spider-Man has become such a valuable IP that the fictional realities he inhabits are now realigning themselves around his importance. Entire cosmologies have been created in movies and comic books that Spider-Man is somehow this messianic figure upon which the universe pivots. The last Spider-Verse movie has one character whose entire job is making sure the multiverse keeps spitting out Spider-Men.

I'm disappointed to hear Madame Web chickened out of making Peter Parker the most important person in the universe.