Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

The terrible secret of Morbius is that it’s fine, and certainly no worse than most MCU movies.

The term 'mid' is a great term because it captures that being by the numbers trite is in many ways worse than being a complete failure. I'm convinced gen z came up with it partly as a reaction to being raised on Marvel movies and in a general era of professionally made, but boring Content.

Morbius is painfully mid and very short in a weird way that suggests it was cut down to the bare bones it needed to function to get released into cinema and that theres a much more interesting and hilarious cut out there.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Well this definitely, uh..

Well its a movie. Its absolutely a movie.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1757198658359951686?s=20

(What the gently caress?)

The review posted above says (I feel stupid spoilering this but I guess someone will want to see it fresh for their own reasons) That a Pepsi billboards S and P comes into play in the films climax so I guess thats the S in the water and the P will be followed by a contextual I D E R for whatever reason

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ccs posted:

A lot of bad movies get made, this one just happens to be in the superhero genre. I dont think the genre is necessarily at fault, although maybe fans and creators tend to get tired of working inside one universe after a certain time (the DCAU lasted 14 years, matching up timeline wise to when people started to cool on the MCU). Sony just seems to have bad leadership when it comes to greenlighting competent scripts in this genre, outside of Spiderverse. So they can't even get a chance to have a 14 year run of generally quality entertainment.

I think a big issue is that really bad movies in the genre draw attention to how formulaic a lot of the rest of it is. A lot of the marvel stuff are basically the same movie and it's wearing thin, and the Sony movies being the knockoff version just adds to the fatigue.

I dont think the superhero movie is entirely dead, there will be something along that gets people excited again but it probably has peaked.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Dune was not a big hit. It didn’t even make its money back domestically. It made a modest 400 million worldwide for 12th place on they year, slightly behind Eternals and Sing 2

It was critically well received and it has no actor in it can say it's gonna hurt their standing. Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 didnt do amazing either but Ryan Gosling, Ana de Armas etc did

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I could easily see the pitch being "oh yeah trust us Tom Holland will totally turn up in this franchise at some point you really think we're gonna do Spider-man movies with NO spider-man? Cmon"

Even venom 2 and Morbius are kinda sorta MCU by virtue of end credits. If we're speculating here I can imagine some exec being so hyped about their idea and the prospect that marvel will HAVE to work with them at some point when they see how gangbusters these movies are doing to believe it's all gonna get folded back in.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 26, 2024

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I can totally see the logic behind taking the role as a non comic fan that says - "I never knew who half these characters they're making movies about these days were but nonetheless some of them are making millions and getting multiple sequels so, I guess I'll play Adam Webb or whoever the gently caress". especially if you're signing on directly after the release and decent success of stuff like Captain Marvel.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 7, 2024

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The rumour I've heard is theres some kind of contract clause with marvel that means only one live action Peter Parker Spiderman can be around at a time, hence why the baby is never named. This combined with the other rumour that the original plot was some kind of thing centring around the predicted birth of Peter Parker suggests that was the case of the awful ADR/villain with no motivation stuff.

if thats the case though it would be wild to think the movie got that far into production before someone was like 'uh, guys...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What's this?