Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

I feel like Dune 2 is only going to do ok.

The SNL curse strikes again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

You best start believing in comic book movie threads, you're in one!!!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Is star power measured in watts or litres

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of actors are dumb dude. Not all of them are nerdy enough to care about anything other than their job. And agents are also dumb, not understanding what is a good idea for their client.

Any person with a brain would know to not take a job making a movie of a d list superhero character from the studio who made Morbius. But yet here we are.

Venom worked because Venom is a pretty popular character and Tom Hardy had passion to do it. He didn’t show up to get a paycheck.

Actors are generally pretty dumb, but they'd be right to dismiss nerds' ABC rating of the comic book characters as influencing reception of a given movie. Initial box office has more to do with advertising, majority reviews with appeals to nostalgia/sensibility and so on. There are plenty of successful and influential movies that feature bad acting or cast & crew who were just punching a clock, and the reverse is just as true; fantastic craft by passionate people that is totally unseen!

Venom wasn't decent because of Care Levels, but because the character was fun and the story was solid. Hardy definitely has some name draw, but he didn't write the script or edit, and he's been in plenty of "bombs". There's no guarantees

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no guarantees, yeah, but not caring about the movie/treating it as a product makes it near-certain it's going to fail.

The idea that someone could get a script with a "fun character and solid story" that they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about and make a good movie out of it...well that doesn't pass the smell test, to me personally.

Even with projects with very small casts & crews you're going to get different degrees of enthusiasm. Depending on which role we're talking about (actor vs PA, director vs grip etc) AND assuming a significant lack of skill or professionalism; sure, a lack of care might have a noticeable effect on the finished movie.

You're describing how Harrison Ford feels about 3/4 of his most famous roles!

CelticPredator posted:

Yes it was. If you cast anyone else in that movie it would be pretty mediocre. But Hardy’s enthusiasm for his weird take on this character elevated it to something more fun and unique than your standard superhero thing.

Hardy is great ofc but venom is pretty standard CBM fare imo (well it's good, so maybe "standard" isn't quite the right word lol)

CelticPredator posted:

Black Adam didn’t stink because the rock cared or didn’t care. It’s because the rock keeps hiring really lame filmmakers to make his stuff. He hasn’t made a good movie starring himself since the rundown. (Pain and gain doesn’t count because he’s not the main main star but he did own in it and it is great. )

Yea exactly. It's the choices being made by the storytellers, not how they feel about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

it's just that you can care and still suck, or just gently caress something up, and you can not give a poo poo and still be a pro. quality or lack of it isn't any evidence of how much you "care"

Bingo.

CelticPredator posted:

I do not understand what’s to argue about saying people cared about venom which lead to their choices that made the film interesting. What made it good was the fact that Hardy went for it and got weird with his choices and fought for those choices, because he cared.

What’s the problem with saying cared lol

There's nothing wrong with saying Hardy (or whoever) cared, I agree that he obviously did! I'm just criticizing the concept of Care Levels (TM) as the sole explanation for why a given movie is good/bad; it's usually a just-so statement left unconnected to any elements of the movie. This isn't me saying it's never a factor lol

It's not a big deal, I just see the sentiment a lot and wanted to push back on it. It's too simplistic or consequentialist (? not sure if this is the right word) for me. Ime it often is paired with the dumb logic of "George Lucas was always bad so his good movies must have been due entirely other ppl", or the reverse for like, Peter Jackson say.

CelticPredator posted:

Niel breen is a bad example because he owns. His art is stupid and weird and unique. No one makes anything like him

Absolutely agree.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I agree with all of this. There was really no need for this topic to take up five pages.

This!

Is!

A CBM thread!