Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The terrible secret of Morbius is that it’s fine, and certainly no worse than most MCU movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I was planning on making this thread but MZ beat me to the punch which is not a problem at all but my joke was gonna be that I’d name the thread “Dakota Johnson’s Press Tour for Madame Web” and make it a thread dedicated to that and end the OP with “I guess you can also talk about the movie here.” Welp cya.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
People seem to be seriously misremembering the path the superhero trend has taken, which is understandable because it is fifteen years old now - but it's commonly blamed on "the characters people cared about went away" and "the franchise is directionless now." The path to Thanos was absolutely filled with retcons and inconsistencies until he was just suddenly in the Milky Way like that Monty Python hill gag, MCU Phases 1-3 are a mess in terms of franchise planning, and people also rather famously did not care about the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America, or even Iron Man when their movies came out. Like, I'm old enough to remember in 2008 that ALL the hype was reserved for The Dark Knight, and the general response to Iron Man was "oh hey, this blockbuster about a B-tier Marvel character turned out pretty good too."

If I had to guess about what may have actually killed it, I honestly think it may be a value proposition. The Marvel TV shows boast astounding budgets and production values for television shows, and the movies simultaneously got worse in terms of both special effects and every other aspect of filmmaking until they were eventually of mostly equal quality. So the question became: do you spend $17 to watch 90 minutes of The Marvels, or $8 for a month of Disney Plus and get a new hour of Loki every week?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lid posted:

I disagree because this film feels like a throwback to the halcyon days of after Spider-Man but before Iron Man where we got a bunch of music video directors making Spider-Man clones like Daredevil and Catwoman. This film feels like a throwback to those days, and like now they're corporate "holy gently caress we have these characters and this us billions let's make it" by people who have no idea what those properties are.

I agree with everything you just said! I just wasn’t talking about Madame Web, I was challenging the common explanations as to why superhero movies as a genre have had such a downturn lately.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

superhero movies are on a downturn cuz the last dozen or so have been bad. very bad, with very few exceptions. if the movies were good, they wouldn't be having this problem

Counterpoint: 95% of superhero movies are bad.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Gotta be real it feels at least a little sexist to assume that the women in this movie are only in it because they’re too dumb to figure out franchise planning.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lid posted:

Now now it came out Matt Smith was bamboozled too. He thought he was being offered MCU and called Karen Gillan who saud accept its a whole lot if fun not realising they would never overlap.

Nowhere in the original article does it say that Smith thought he was going to be in an MCU movie.

CelticPredator posted:

https://x.com/hernandy_s/status/1752098462869418344?s=46

Here’s a thread where more actors tag marvel studios lol

I don’t believe this is proof they thought they were going to be in the MCU, especially when you consider Marvel Entertainment (the company responsible for licensing Marvel properties out to other, non-Disney studios) doesn’t have an Instagram account. The Bad Bunny quote also doesn’t say anything about being in the MCU, just “joining a family.”

Audiences have generally been smart enough to know when these movies are and aren’t in the MCU. Morbius’s marketing campaign was an explicit attempt to attach it to such a successful brand (the film’s tagline was “A New Marvel Legend Arrives”) and it didn’t work. To assume that they couldn’t tell the difference between this and the MCU - especially Sweeney, who pushed for a more comics-accurate costume for Julia Carpenter - is to believe they are completely aloof of the biggest trend in the movie industry in a way that, like, Jared Leto wouldn’t be.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Sorry but it’s kind of a brilliant gag that a movie that constantly teases but never delivers on a trio of Spider-Women literally ends in a fireworks factory.

Open Source Idiom posted:

He has likenesses mocked up from memory and then he runs facial recognition on those designs.

Yeah but when his hacker partner looks for them on PRISM he just uses fully-formed photos of them as Spider-Women taken from earlier in the film, not sketches or anything. It would’ve actually been a fun visual to get like a comics artist to do new drawings of them for the movie or even use panels right from the comics for them but apparently they ripped the visuals out of his dreams?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

tadashi posted:

I was thinking I was going to watch this movie in spite of everything anyone has said about it.
Thank you to this thread for changing my mind.

Good thing we convinced you not to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

In general it's easier to not show people eating and drinking on screen because if you have to do multiple takes the actors end up eating / drinking a ton and you have to worry about re-filling, getting them new cans, maybe even continuity with the amount of food left and all.

If they never actually drink and just kinda fiddle with it, you can cut around with editting and make it seem like they did and people won't notice. In theory.

This is it. Rian Johnson has an anecdote about Chris Evans getting sick because there’s a scene in Knives Out where he eats an especially buttery and rich kind of cookie that they had to do a few takes of and it just ruined his esophagus.