Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That sounds amazing and I need to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sonner or later he's just gonna post the initials of movies he saw and did not like.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why would actors need to know about the intricacies of which studio holds the right to which parts of which IP?

Their job is to:
a) Show up on time
b) Remember their lines
c) Act (preferably well)
d) Plug the film on talkshows and the like

Anything more than that is beyond their ken

There are a number of reasons. Like, do they want to maintain a certain image, or avoid getting typecasted? Are they interested in a multi-film deal? Are they interested in a multi-film deal that isn't, like, the Sharknado franchise?

Nobody is going to ask for a sequel to Madame Web. If you agree to star in Madame Web because you were led to believe you're getting more roles, you have been hosed over.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lid posted:

Also literally the week the trailer dropped Johnson fired her agent and jumped agencies.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's true. However, that's not what happened here.

:hmmyes:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no guarantees, yeah, but not caring about the movie/treating it as a product makes it near-certain it's going to fail.

The idea that someone could get a script with a "fun character and solid story" that they absolutely didn't give a poo poo about and make a good movie out of it...well that doesn't pass the smell test, to me personally. The "One for the Studio, One for Myself" movies are a great study on this.

But then you get someone like The Rock at Max Carelevels doing his best to push a movie that is, dedpite all his apparent efforts, a giant turd.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

im gonna rip my hair out.

just replace my post with whatever word or phrase you want that just means “they really wanted to make it good and enthusiastically worked hard to make it work”

So does Neil Breen.

What's being argued is how much Dakota Johnson is to blame for taking the role in Madame Web when she appears to be very pissed off about it afterwards. Some say she just needs to shut up and take her money, some seem to say her care levels weren't high enough to either make the movie good or to suss out that the movie will be poo poo before taking the role. And some say she's been screwed over by her agent or the studio or both.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Niel breen is a bad example because he owns. His art is stupid and weird and unique. No one makes anything like him

But I think she had a bad agent who said this gig would do well for her career. And what happened is the studio at some point cared more about making money and decided to committee the hell out of it during production which made the film miserable to make.

Yeah I agree with all of this. There was really no need for this topic to take up five pages.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That DICK! posted:

Her grandfather mauled the population of a small town for ten years with his own personal pride of lions without consequence, she had the clout necessary to hire an agent that would know that a sony madame web film would be a big stinker

drat, Sony created some brand synergy between Madame Web and Kraven The Raven.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

GateOfD posted:

why did the old comic book movie thread get closed anyway

New forums policy of fewer megathreads.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would hope that nobody lets anyone's online opinion stop them from doing something in reality.

*stops typing a response about how it's important to sometimes let someone's online opinion stop them from doing som

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I hope Sydney Sweeny's career goes well and she finds a lot of success, it will make coming back to this much more interesting knowing she was ready and willing to go all in on her character and THAT is what they made of it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, just one 093000681 is devastating, let alone several!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wait wait wait

Warner Bros.

has a LOTR spin-off

about the horse vikings

as an animated feature

for a theatrical release?

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm mostly just :psyduck: at the concept of a theatrically released animated LotR-spin-off about the Rohanians, but it's cool thattalented people are involved.

I guess with animation it's more difficult for WB to meddle and gently caress things up.