Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dakota Johnson is doing more to keep this film in public discourse than anything else.

massive spider posted:

The term 'mid' is a great term because it captures that being by the numbers trite is in many ways worse than being a complete failure. I'm convinced gen z came up with it partly as a reaction to being raised on Marvel movies and in a general era of professionally made, but boring Content.

tbh I suspect they didn't know about the word "mediocre" and just created a term to mean the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Monica Bellucci posted:

Tom Hardy wants to be Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders, so he had the writer of Peaky Blinders write Taboo so he could be Tom Hardy Cillian Murphy in Taboo.

Even better: he had his dad do it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was there a version of this where the villain could see into the leads visions? The Britney Spears sequence makes no sense otherwise.

RandomPauI posted:

Just to be clear, is Dakota not caring the reason why the villains' lines got poorly ADRd? Or why she foresaw him crushed by one letter, but he wound up crushed by another?

She gets some ADR as well, so I doubt it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thorgot posted:

What do you mean? There's a whole scene where his hacker lackey finds them after one of the truckers calls in a police tip.

Nah, lol, nah. The first time she drives normally to the diner and the villain turns up after about a minute. The second time she speeds there, but the villain turns up thirty seconds early. How'd he get there faster the second time unless he can also see her visions?

Which is maybe possible because later on he pops up and taunts her, but it's not clear whether that's a special thing he contrived that one time or whether anyone can wander into anyone else's future vision as long as they've got spidey mind palace powers or

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

So was somebody being facetious, or did villain guy seriously use face recognition software on his vision?

He has likenesses mocked up from memory and then he runs facial recognition on those designs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sporbius

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought Sweeney was kind of bad in this, and there are perfectly good performances in the film so I dunno if the overall quality of this film is much of an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly thought Johnson managed to pull something decent out of this. Her character sounds intensely dismissive the entire time, but in ways that add a touch of campy irony to her performance of her character's arc. I don't think it's a performance that would work in a less lovely film, but I found her presence effective.