Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Venom and Venom 2 were good. Sony’s Spider-Manless Spider-Man movies so far have been more good than bad. I bet Madame Web will be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm hoping it's outright terrible, boring would be even worse.

Why not hope it’s good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GateOfD posted:

any hope dies after seeing the trailer

They made a superhero movie and then saw how superhero movies are doing now so they decided to market it as an action thriller and downplay the superheroes as much as possible. That’s why the marketing is so weird. Presumably there’s a bunch of superhero action in the movie that they don’t want to show or talk about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which will they have a post credits scene with Kraven or not lol

Since it’s about a lot of Spider-women, a cameo from Spider-Verse Spider-Woman would be appropriate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GateOfD posted:

it is dead, but it be a disservice to blame it on this and Marvels, they're just bad from conception. Its been direction-less since No Way Home

It was directionless since Endgame, since that was the end of the MCU's story. But it was still making so much money there was no thought to ever stop. And competing companies saw no reason to stop trying to ape Marvel's continuing success. They kept going through familiarity and momentum until last year, when we saw multiple superhero movies underperform. That was exacerbated by the simultaneous plateauing of streaming revenue

A lot of the movies that were in production last year are still going to come out. But in 2025 and beyond I expect significantly reduced slates of superhero movies, as companies diversify their offerings to try to find the next big thing.

Basically I think of 2020-2022 as the zombie era of superhero movies, where they just kept coming out because why wouldn't they? 2023 was the death knell, and 2024 is the post-mortem spontaneous defecation where the body expels what was already inside it.

Which means we're probably never going to get the Black Knight movie teased at the end of The Eternals :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A multiverse absolutely could have worked if the big threat was Incursions. That’s pretty much the only way you can get bigger than half of everyone dying; a whole other universe is going to hit ours.

But instead they went with Kang.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I thought Kang's deal was alternate timelines, not alternate dimensions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

White Light posted:

What is Madame Web's whole thing anyways? The only passing knowledge I have of this lady was from that one episode in the 90s Spiderman show where she sat in a chair to make exposition dumps over something I can't be bothered to remember.

Madame Web is a clairvoyant and precognitive mutant[1] who first appears to help Spider-Man find a kidnapping victim. She is not one of the mutants who lost their power during the "Decimation" storyline. In "Grim Hunt", she is attacked by Ana Kravinoff and her mother Sasha, who kill her, but before she dies she is able to pass her powers of precognition as well as her blindness on to Julia Carpenter, who becomes the next Madame Web. Webb is subsequently resurrected by Ben Reilly before succumbing to the Carrion Virus. Webb is the grandmother of the fourth Spider-Woman, Charlotte Witter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

vegetables posted:

Cats is like the opposite of CONTENT; that’s one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much— whatever else you can say about it, it is not a movie that plays things safe so much as a movie that lights itself on fire

I disagree, Cats played it incredibly safe. It took a popular existing property, added an audience-insert main character and a new song by a mega-popular pop star. It even changed the songs from cast numbers to solos so they could have all the named cats played by a star who gets their own number.

Cats went out of its way to play it safe, but the execution of that safeness was done by an alien.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Codependent Poster posted:

So the Spider-Girls don't even get costumes in the movie and the shots we see are like brief future glimpses lol

This whole time I was assuming there was a bunch of superhero stuff in the movie they weren’t showing in the trailer because they were afraid of superhero fatigue.

I guess it’s the opposite, they were really showing everything they had.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DeimosRising posted:

well if she always wanted to be a girl scout then she never was, so that makes sense

Yeah it’s called dramatic irony.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That is an excellent slump at the end of that wall climbing attempt. Dakota Johnson, do more physical comedy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did they force Dakota Johnson to star in this film at gunpoint or what? It seems like she's done nothing but burn this production every chance she gets - I mean gently caress I don't blame her, by all accounts its a dumpster fire, but how did she even get involved in the first place?

She said the script was massively rewritten after she signed on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I would’ve watched a Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman movie. And an Arana movie! And even a whatever the third one was movie.

I guess modern audiences still aren’t interested in movies that tell women’s stories :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

rare Magic card l00k posted:

both come from a butt

Incorrect, spider webs are produced by an organ called a spinneret.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lid posted:

Speaking of Sony retooling because women don't matter

https://www.themarysue.com/amazons-...enough-already/

They've fired everyone on Silk because it's not erotic and sexy enough so it's being remade for a "male audience"

After almost two decades of superhero movies that are completely sexless minus the occasional Men’s Health cover style male shirtless scene, I am totally fine with someone trying to make attractive people in spandex sexy again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I feel like Dune 2 is only going to do ok.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dpkg chopra posted:

Went to see it today and while the movie was bad the extremely online 20-something A-List grognards laughing sarcastically at every scene were worse.

that's not what grognard means

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dead Dead Demon’s De De De De Destruction comes out like next month.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vegetable posted:

That sounds like a load of crap. They’ve misstated in interviews that they’re part of the MCU but I don’t think there’s any trickery involved here. Like non-nerds actors really understand, or care about, the difference between Sony Spider-Man and Marvel Spider-Man.

I loving guarantee you they understand the difference between “you will have cameo roles in Disney blockbusters for years to come off the back of this” and “you are in the modern day Elektra(2005)”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pirate Jet posted:

Audiences have generally been smart enough to know when these movies are and aren’t in the MCU. Morbius’s marketing campaign was an explicit attempt to attach it to such a successful brand (the film’s tagline was “A New Marvel Legend Arrives”) and it didn’t work. To assume that they couldn’t tell the difference between this and the MCU - especially Sweeney, who pushed for a more comics-accurate costume for Julia Carpenter - is to believe they are completely aloof of the biggest trend in the movie industry in a way that, like, Jared Leto wouldn’t be.

Please do keep in mind the rumor that the script was originally about the spider-girls having to save baby Spider-Man. Spider-Man is in the MCU, so if they signed up for a Spider-Man prequel it would be completely reasonable for them to believe they were signing up for an MCU movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Japan got some cool Madame Web posters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vegetable posted:

This thread is preoccupied with what the actresses think. Multiple pages of inane poo poo like “I bet she regrets starring in this instead of Dune” or “I bet she wishes she got a superhero movie earlier.” I doubt it’s deliberate but you don’t see the same type of discussion about male-led bombs.

I’m sorry people weren’t nice enough to Jared Leto after Morbius for you.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blood Boils posted:

Is star power measured in watts or litres

lumens, obviously

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Martman posted:

tbh I think it's very possible that Sony actually believed they were getting the go-ahead to link these movies to the MCU and then had to walk it all back. It would line up a lot with the whole "editing the movie so Peter Parker isn't a factor" thing.

And of course if that was their intention they would have been pitching it to the actors based on that best case

Yeah Johnson has been very explicit that the movie she signed on for is not the movie that got made. I'm not sure why people keep insisting these women must be dumb. Sony misrepresented the project to them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

well why not posted:

Not really. They have agents to make sure they don’t make a disgraceful choice. Agents who know these “intricacies” (is a movie by x studio is hardly intricate) as a profession.

Sony has made movies that are part of the MCU.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not saying Dakota Johnson doesn't think she got hosed over. It's just that she wasn't. A few million dollars is a lot of money.

If you are promised one thing and then given a different thing of much lesser value, you got hosed over.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If we’re measuring care, think about Sidney Sweeney’s story about lobbying hard to get more Spider-Woman action in this spiderwomen movie only for it to get cut out of the theatrical release.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The problem is once someone tells you that cups in movies and TV shows are almost always empty, you start to notice how often actors carry cups like they’re empty when in the reality of the show they’re supposed to be full.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers posted:

Know a guy who worked as Script/Continuity Supervisor on a film set entirely during a dinner party and apparently keeping track of half a dozen drinks and plates in every single shot was an unimaginable horror.

That’s an easy fix, as long as the meal being served is soup. Simply connect all the bowls with concealed soup tubes to a simple computerized soup distribution unit under the table. Then program in every character’s soup consumption rate and the time of each shot during the scene. Then resetting the soup levels for each shot is the work of a few keystrokes, as the soup distribution unit automatically refills or drains all the soup bowls as needed.

Tell your friend to work smarter, not harder.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Martman posted:

don't forget to remove all your teeth before you shoot. wouldn't want those getting in the way

I do not see how that would provide any benefit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm the bootcut rubber suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

quote:

Meanwhile, Kraven the Hunter is now up against Warner Bros' animated Lord of the Rings spin-off War of the Rohirrim, which opens on the exact same day.

Somehow I see both of these movies underperforming.