Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Adrianics posted:

I haven't seen Venom 2 but quite enjoyed Venom 1 because it's abundantly clear that Hardy has nothing but contempt for the character. His performance is completely ridiculous, at times he sounds like Droopy, and the script has golden moments like Venom bellowing "ON MY PLANET I AM A LOSER". He reminds me a lot of the extremely goofy version of Venom that's in the PS1 Spider-Man game.

He was fairly accurate to how Venom was portrayed in the 90s back when he had a solo series. Just this pathetic and unhinged loser living in a shithole wearing an alien costume that's considered a pariah among its own race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Honestly, I think Hardy enjoys the character. He gets that its an "Odd Couple" alien antihero concept, and he turns each characters' eccentricities up to eleven.

It took a long time for the comic writers to realize that the symbiotes should be able to speak to their hosts. Or at least speak in a way the reader could understand. Usually it would just be Eddie Brock having a one-way conversation.

Then in the mid-2000s there was a comic called Venom/Carnage that had a scene of Cletus chilling in his apartment, casually ironing his clothes while he and the Carnage symbiote bickered like an old married couple. It was a brief bit, but I always wanted to see more of that.

So I really enjoyed what Hardy did with the characters.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lid posted:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/madame-web/

It's a disaster

And it's a boring disaster so it won't even get Cats like "what the gently caress"

There will be no Skimbleshanks

The railway cat

The cat of the railway train?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gripweed posted:

A multiverse absolutely could have worked if the big threat was Incursions. That’s pretty much the only way you can get bigger than half of everyone dying; a whole other universe is going to hit ours.

But instead they went with Kang.

The threat is still Incursions. They make a big enough deal out of it in Dr. Strange 2 and even the post-credits in Ant-Man 3 have the Kangs talk about how poo poo is breaking down across the multiverse.

Kang is still a problem because while MCU post-Endgame was very hit-or-miss and spread out too thin, there was still a semblance of a direction: the next age of heroes is taking form and they will eventually have to stop this multiversal threat that Kang represents. Unfortunately, for his spotlight movie, which they made a big deal out of for being the huge starting point for Phase 5, it was on the bottom rung of the MCU and came out with a thud. Then immediately after, Majors was revealed to be terrible and that poisoned the well. They either have to recast him or they're casually throwing away a villain before they had a chance to really explain him.

There's a lot riding on Deadpool & Wolverine because Cap 4 and Thunderbolts probably aren't going to give the MCU a shot in the arm on their own. Especially with Cap 4 seemingly being a giant mess already.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gripweed posted:

I thought Kang's deal was alternate timelines, not alternate dimensions.

It's basically both. I mean, there's a full-on blue lizard Kang in the Ant-Man 3 post-credits and I guess Victor Timely's supposed to be "Kang but in a different time period," so however that works.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Bogus Adventure posted:

With all this talk of Madame Web being the superhero genre's version of Cats 2019 I have only one question:

Is there also a Butthole Cut?

(Release the Cats 2019 Butthole Cut, you cowards!!!)

The version of the movie where the webs come out of the butthole.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lid posted:

Now now it came out Matt Smith was bamboozled too. He thought he was being offered MCU and called Karen Gillan who saud accept its a whole lot if fun not realising they would never overlap.

I believe it entirely based on the story of Bill Murray signing on for Garfield.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Oof. This screenshot hurts to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just watch a supercut of Dakota Johnson fumbling with a can of Pepsi and you're good.

I just saw that on the Honest Trailers episode on Madame Web and holy poo poo.

When the really good Justice League Unlimited show was going on, there was this weird mandate that certain characters could not be used for reasons. They could talk about Plastic Man, but you couldn't show him. Black Manta had to be redesigned as "Devil Ray." But the big thing was that they could not use Batman-adjacent characters outside of Batman himself and maybe the Joker because The Batman was on TV at the time.

So that quick silhouette of Nightwing was the closest thing they could do to have him appear on JLU.