Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

(I don't watch wrestling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Much like football Wrestling rocks, wrestling fans are the worst.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

what about RG3?

RG3 might make the best wrestling announcer out of all of the football commentators i can think of. he has fun announcing and doesnt take things too serious.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

And he would still be better than the modern WWE commentary

Y'all haven't truly suffered through the worst money can buy at the commentary desk and it shows.

Collinsworth would easily slide in and match their announce quality

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

The337th posted:

It's probably not safe to have Collinsworth at ringside so close to underage fans.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Intruder posted:

Wrestling and football have a lot in common

For one thing, the results are predetermined

I was thinking Collegiate/HS wrestling and was like yeah... yeah.. oh... :(

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

It's probably not safe to have Collinsworth at ringside so close to underage fans.

Wouldn't be the first WWE announcer with that problem

Just needs a Crown to pick up that gimmick

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Been reading about Vince McMahon lately and boy is Goodell an unimpeachable paragon of virtue in comparison.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KC police arrested a couple of juveniles for the shooting

Depressing

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
"now here's a guy who will get thrown off of a cell and break that table"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

touchdown brengals

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 16, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The337th posted:

You are right on that. Collinsworth is the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

post hole digger posted:

RG3 might make the best wrestling announcer out of all of the football commentators i can think of. he has fun announcing and doesnt take things too serious.

Kevin Harlan :colbert:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its Gus Johnson guys come on he is basically Joey Styles already

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its Gus Johnson guys come on he is basically Joey Styles already

I haven't heard Gus do an NFL game, but if college announcers are in then this is the answer.

The "HURT. MY. FEELINGS." call but it's after a a dude goes through a table full of barbecue.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Black Sunshine posted:

WWE is currently being sued for sex trafficking and none of their fans care so he'd be absolutely fine

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cthulu Carl posted:

I haven't heard Gus do an NFL game, but if college announcers are in then this is the answer.

The "HURT. MY. FEELINGS." call but it's after a a dude goes through a table full of barbecue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6BgnqAFWA8

OH GOD!!!! is one of the best calls ever lol

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

Kevin Harlan :colbert:

“I’M CALLING BOTH GAMES!!!”

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

90% of the time I don't care at all whose announcing, their differences are negligible and they're all trained to be inoffensive and unremarkable. Manningcast is the only exception, which is a different format.

Occasionally I catch someone I don't recognize whose observations and delivery are unique and interesting, it's always an ex-coach and they never stick with broadcasting. The two that come to mind are Dick Vermeil and Marvin Lewis, I remember enjoying hearing like 1 or 2 games they called. They'd always point out things others, even ex-players, wouldn't and have a different take on the the hows and whys of the game.
Vermeil was very insightful, articulate, and soft-spoken. Both of them were super knowledgeable of course but were also able to convey those things pretty easily, which I have to believe comes from decades of doing the same thing to actual nfl players. They also probably weren't announcing as a long-term career post coaching, which kind of changes the tone.

To be honest Gruden did this too in his own way, he was able to explain mostly offensive concepts like routes and qb windows to a national audience.

More ex-coaches should become announcers.

VVVVV He'd probably be good at it

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 16, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

More ex-coaches should become announcers.

Bill waxes poetic for 30 minutes on the mechanics of the long snap on the last punt while Al tries in vain to actually call the game.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Freaquency posted:

Bill waxes poetic for 30 minutes on the mechanics of the long snap on the last punt while Al tries in vain to actually call the game.

Put him in the booth with Brady and let them snipe at each other all game

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

To be honest Gruden did this too in his own way, he was able to explain mostly offensive concepts like routes and qb windows to a national audience.

It gets lost now with everything that came out during his second stint with the Raiders, but Gruden the first few years he was doing MNF was great at color commentary, between explaining stuff well and his general shenanigans (Calling Peyton “The Sheriff”, his “Gruden Grinders”, similar stuff) and very popular for a while. It was after he’d been there 5~ years, when it became clear that he wanted to get back to coaching, and more so after Tirico left and he was paired Sean McDonough (Who wasn’t great and it was pretty clear he and Gruden didn’t work well together) that he went south.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6BgnqAFWA8

OH GOD!!!! is one of the best calls ever lol

OK, so we're agreed - Gus and Kevin at ringside. Which one's the heel announcer?

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
I want Kevin Harlan to play-by-play the birth of my next child, conception included.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was listening to Harlan's radio calls for the super bowl for part of the game. He's just so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

soggybagel posted:

I was listening to Harlan's radio calls for the super bowl for part of the game. He's just so good.

Every once in a while I go back to NBA 2k17 because Harlan's the announcer. I should probably revisit the careers of Hugh Mann and Legitimate Person in there....