Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I do not know why the Ravens and 49ers both didn't just run the ball down the Chiefs throats all day. For the Ravens I guess maybe it was planned to be Lamar's coming out party or something, but Brock Purdy doesn't need to prove anything past being the first Mr Irrelevant to start a Super Bowl at QB. If there's a time to burn CMC to the ground it's now.

But I appreciate both of their gameplans as a Chiefs fan.

Goddamn it was so long with several pretty damned good teams in there that the Chiefs could never win a playoff game and now they somehow can't lose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Borsche69 posted:

lamar still needs to prove something?

I'm for sure not saying he does, just maybe that was supposed to be his day to shine was the plan? I get that everyone was broken for Baltimore with injuries, but it was kinda working when they did it now and then and at no point did they really need to panic.

I mean right up until they did of course, but they didn't need to earlier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

papersack posted:

It's already been forgotten but that 9ers trick play was amazing

And technically shouldn't have counted because of an illegal man downfield I think? Which would be a funny thing for Chiefs fans to be whining about right now if the ending had gone differently.

At the end of the day I think I'd be miffed but rule of cool and all and there were plenty of other chances for the Chiefs after that which were squandered mostly, until they came up with them in the right spots.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

socketwrencher posted:

Is it surprising that there weren't more rollouts, screens etc? Seems odd that Kittle only got 3 targets; maybe if he had screamed at Shanahan he could have gotten the ball more lol.

Shutting down Kittle and a hobbled in multiple ways Deebo was super important from the Chiefs perspective. The 49ers screen game did have some success but you can only pull that out of the bag so often before the defense realizes what you're doing (well if the D is any good, and the Chiefs D was pretty good this year).

So your offense turns into solely CMC, Aiyuk, and oddly missed MVP opportunity Jauan Jennings. That makes things a lot easier to deal with for the defense. The 49ers have so many weapons and with two of them pretty much taken out of the game that puts Purdy under a lot more pressure while he was enduring a lot of pressure. Bless fullbacks but Juszczyk can only scare you so much.

I can't speak to what they could have done to overcome this, maybe rolling the pocket more often would have helped. Or maybe it just gets Purdy lit up if you do it at the wrong time, the Chiefs do a lot of corner blitzes normally although I don't think they did a ton last night. I don't know, it was just a rough night for that offense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

A football thing I've accepted but never really fully understood is how defenses get gassed but offenses don't.

It's harder to react than act is the general explanation I think. Or theory.

For the lines I think the DL just has to work harder than the OL because of the way things are played. A lot of times the OL just has to be big and in the way shoving you or make a short trap move or something, the DL has to put in a lot more work to get around you. But all of that is just in theory, if the D blows up a play they do not need to worry about reacting, but you need to do that first or you're doing a lot of chasing.

e:fb

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

playing for the third possession only makes sense if you are convinced the first two will be FG-FG

which is an insane thing to gamble on

It's not like the Chiefs were doing a whole lot of scoring touchdowns.

I've come around to seeing this as a sane bet after thinking about it. Ideally you score your own TD of course. If you do even if the Chiefs score theirs after that and go for two that's one play that you have a chance to stop, if they don't go for two you only need to move the ball so far to have a chance.

And if you get dueling field goals that's also in your favor as long as Moody doesn't malfunction.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

also Kelce was taken out of a play for a third string TE to block and that guy immediately hosed up and caused a turnover and Kelce was screaming let him block because he was willing to sacrifice his body. or something.

This doesn't matter much (at all) but that was Gray wasn't it? So second string TE if correct.

If it was Blake Bell I will be very disappointed in the Belldozer since blocking is the only reason he's on the team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

Reid did this to Bosa for the entirety of Super Bowl LIV. Unblocked and had to make a read every time, and it was always the wrong read .

I disagree that it was always wrong in the previous 49ers Chiefs SB, Bosa wrecked a whole lot of stuff and did everything he could in that game even if he just got one sack and one TFL.

In this one he didn't show up on the stat sheet meaningfully but really was disciplined at keeping contain while being dangerous which frustrated the offense. Just...not on that particular play which turns out to be a big one.

He mostly played pretty good in both games in my opinion, he just didn't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nervous posted:

More importantly, would they have to kick it off again even if there wasn't a "halftime"?

Yeah overtime is like a brand new game with sudden death eventually involved. So there's a two minute warning and all in the second OT and you either score or run out the clock and there's a kickoff for whoever didn't receive the ball in the first OT.

Timeouts reset, you get three each 'half' so there's that too. I don't know, it's interesting to think about but seems like it would be a really extremely agonizing game to watch if it ever actually happened. Like playoff hockey except no one gets any chances because the defenses would just be clamping everything down. Punter's time to shine though in this scenario.