Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Nosre posted:

if normal discourse did anything we wouldn't still be having these shootings happen regularly, so all people can do is make dark jokes and snarky comments which look mostly true anyway

This is pretty accurate, at this point it feels like there's not much else to do.

One thing I've learned from this specific kind of incident is that most gun crime is from small arguments between people who just happen to have guns and guess what happens next. This is specifically a different situation that domestic terrorism and semi-automatic weapons. Guns rights advocates will bring up this point when people want to eliminate access to automatic and semi-automatic weapons, like its some kind of 'gotcha'. Which is also grim, in a different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

90% of the time I don't care at all whose announcing, their differences are negligible and they're all trained to be inoffensive and unremarkable. Manningcast is the only exception, which is a different format.

Occasionally I catch someone I don't recognize whose observations and delivery are unique and interesting, it's always an ex-coach and they never stick with broadcasting. The two that come to mind are Dick Vermeil and Marvin Lewis, I remember enjoying hearing like 1 or 2 games they called. They'd always point out things others, even ex-players, wouldn't and have a different take on the the hows and whys of the game.
Vermeil was very insightful, articulate, and soft-spoken. Both of them were super knowledgeable of course but were also able to convey those things pretty easily, which I have to believe comes from decades of doing the same thing to actual nfl players. They also probably weren't announcing as a long-term career post coaching, which kind of changes the tone.

To be honest Gruden did this too in his own way, he was able to explain mostly offensive concepts like routes and qb windows to a national audience.

More ex-coaches should become announcers.

VVVVV He'd probably be good at it

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 16, 2024