Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pmchem posted:

:boom:

Shanahan is forever broken

Modern day Marv Levy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kalensc posted:

Missed all but OT.

Was there any gently caress-up, or just two strong teams trading scores?

It was a defensive battle. SF didn’t get their second first down in the second half until mid fourth quarter iirc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This didn’t end up mattering but I am curious: if the clock had run out in OT would the Chiefs have lost or would they get to finish their possession in a second OT period?

Would have went to second OT and they would have flipped end zones just like going from first to second quarter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

davecrazy posted:

Who’s the MVP???

Mahomes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

solarjetman posted:

Maybe I missed this because I wasn't in the GDT but: the Chiefs let the game clock run down all the way to 7 seconds before throwing the TD pass on first and goal. Would the game have ended if the game clock had run out before they scored?

Nah it would just go to the next quarter like the transition from first to second.

E: beaten half a dozen times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alan Smithee posted:

Tbf idk either. Why didn’t they play out the 3 seconds

Since the 49ers had one possession, the chiefs could walk off with a TD. If they had only kicked a field goal, the next score by either team would have won.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Diggity! posted:

On one hand I'm sad that the season is over but on the other I'm glad I don't have to listen to Tony Romo for a few months

leverage

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Don't know why, but it *just* hit me that the super bowl overtime rules were different, where even if SF scored a touchdown on that overtime possession, it wouldn't end the game.

Basically swung my logic, don't really have a problem with Shanahan kicking the field goal. Defense just didn't make a stop and rip

The rules in the playoffs were always a little different than the regular season, in that they cannot end in a tie. The only real change this year is that a TD on the first drive didn't end the game anymore. They didn't want this to happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVnLsODqqg

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bip Roberts posted:

Chiefs would have won with the old ot rules too, just not the older ot rules.

Chiefs win with any post 2011 OT rules. That's the first year they made it so both teams are guaranteed a possession unless the first team scores a TD. That base rule is still in play for the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Prior to 2011, 49ers win on the first possession field goal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shyduck posted:

Kyle Shanahan not having his team up on the Super Bowl overtime rules is an all-timer

This reminds me of Donovan McNabb not realizing that you could tie in the regular season in OT until a game ended like that while he was on offense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the bigger coaching issue is that they couldn’t score a touchdown and then couldn’t stop the Chiefs from scoring a touchdown, not that the fullback didn’t know the OT rules.

When that's the guy calling the coin toss, he needs to know the rules.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pmchem posted:

they sent out fred warner to do the call, not KJ

Thanks for the correction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Is it better to be Marv Levy or to never make it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zwabu posted:

I remember turning on the Chiefs vs. Texans in the playoffs and watching the Texans go up by 3 TDs and thinking "well I guess I can find something else to do with my afternoon", but then watching a little longer and the Chiefs erased that deficit in what seemed like about two minutes of game time, and then proceeded to bury the Texans. Granted the Chiefs offense was a lot more potent then, but still.

Mahomes really is football Goku. There hasn't ever been someone that has performed as well as him in clutch situations. He is the most clutch QB of all time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Diggity! posted:

Tony Romo sucks

leverage

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The onion is forever prescient.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kalli posted:

The obvious solution is to allow only states with sensible gun control laws to win Superbowls.

Thank you Cowboys for your head start on keeping Americans safe.

Hawaii hosts every superbowl from now on.

If you didn't see, their supreme court recently gave the SCOTUS a double thumbs up and said "nah bro, we're still enforcing our dangerous weapon laws like Hawaii has since long before a white person had ever been there.

e: I misread your post and now that I re-read it, :lol: Still leaving my post about Hawaii.