Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

In this thread, we remember Football Guys from yesteryear. I'm not talking about your Barry Sanderses, your Joe Montanas, your . I'm not thinking of the famous or the talented.

I mean guys like... Laurance Maroney.

I don't even know why I think of him sometimes. I guess it has something to do with getting back into football in 2007 when the Pats were King Shits and I was living in Massachusetts, so I guess it was just being surrounded by all things Pats. But even then, even when I can't say I really knew a whole lot about the game, I recognized thaHe shook around the field like a piece on one of those electronic football boards.

I sometimes think of John Fourcade just because he was in Tecmo Super Bowl. Who is John Fourcade? He played for the Saints in the late 80s and early 90s I guess. I have a blank Saints Jersey from back when Reebok were ditching all of their poo poo cheap since they lost the NFL license. I occasionally think of trying to get some iron on letters for it and if I ever do, they'll spell out FOURCADE because it's a weird name. I paid $5 for that jersey. it would probably cost more to get whatever the hell materials I would need to actually apply a name and number to it.

So who do you think of in the dead of night? What random NFL has-been or never-was or flash in the pan haunts your dreams? Did you just think of Lito Sheppard right now? or Danario Alexander? Tavon Austin or Jeff Feagles? Post a long screed about them. Post just their name. Post their stats. Post Random Football Guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Punter A.J. Trapasso.

https://youtu.be/_CwheVbNFFo?si=GvIy5aQdB5tDIu01

For some reason the Jeff Fisher Titans decided to run a trick punt in a preseason game. Trapasso faked the handoff and ran it into the end zone himself.

He washed out of the league and ended up in camp with a UFL team but didn't make the final roster so the above clip is basically his career highlight reel.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Malcolm Mitchell was a rookie WR for the Pats who actually looked good in 2016 and caught a bunch of passes during the 28-3 comeback, but somehow nobody noticed when they drafted him that his knee cartilage looked like aquarium gravel so he was done in a year.

He writes wholesome children's books and promotes literary and just seems like a good dude?

He read a book at my daughter's school last year and she got a free copy. :3:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Durandal1707 posted:

Igor Olshansky

I don't know anything about him but for some reason any player with -sky in their name always sticks in my head.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Insertnamehere31 posted:

John Runyan
Correll Buckhalter
LJ Smith
Sheldon Brown
Koy Detmer

I played way too much madden when I was a kid, so I became very very familiar with the eagles roster from like 2002-2006

I remember Brown coming out of the tunnel wearing an old school, Friday the 13th hockey mask one game.

The Eagles lost.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Leonard Weaver.

Looks like the Eagles just randomly have a good fullback. Plays one year and it's not like an FB is gonna be a foundational piece but he looks good when he's out there. Early next season he gets tackled and his knee bends the wrong way and he's out of the NFL. :(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Don Beebe

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Chris Maragos.

Incredible gunner and special teams beast.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

He was really good at falling forward to get 3 yards. Classic "you need "X" yards he get you 3 yards" guy.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

That man put all his skill points into catching and was just kinda a dude in all other ways. Surest hands in the league.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Beanie Wells

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Jermaine Wiggins

Wiggy is one of the morning guys on WEEI up in Boston now. He is decidedly not a smart man.

I dont know much about his football career other than he played for the Florida Tuskers in the UFL.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Anderson Koopa posted:

Anyone remember Ron Brace?

That sounds like a ref name.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

LaVar Arrington

I wanna remember, was he a linebacker? For the Cardinals?

Dan Gronkowski
Hyper deep cut: Maurice "Mo Chedda" Fountain

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I always confuse him and Jason Babin.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Jivesauce posted:

Dominic Rhodes?

Possibly the best RB the UFL had in 2010, he played for the Florida Tuskers.

Rhodes managed 9 TDs and got 551 yards on 127 carries, good for 4.3 ypc. Doesn't sound all that impressive but the UFL only had 8 games/ season, and the league's offensive lines were absolutely awful, to the point that there was a rule that teams could only rush 5 defenders at most.

I'd make the argument for Lorenzo Booker though. Booker was in a platoon RB situation on the Hartford Colonials. Both he and his running mate, Andre Dixon, got 76 carries on the season. Dixon was listed as the starter primarily because he'd attended UConn and the front office wanted some hometown talent to get local fans interested, but he was just a guy who plodded up the middle for short gains. Not a power back, he just clearly wasn't an NFL-level talent and wasn't even drafted by an NFL team. Booker, on the other hand, put up 5.4 ypc on the same number of carries. He got 80% of Rhodes' yards on 60% of the touches.

He was a 3rd-rd draft pick by the Dolphins but traded to the Eagles. Got cut by them and sat out 2009 for no reason I can locate. He spent part of 2010 on the Colonials and then some of 2010-2011 on the Vikings, mostly as a KR, and then a short stint with the Bears before hitting IR and just never playing again. Nobody wanted to keep him for long but he genuinely looked the part of an NFL RB. I have to wonder if he was just seen as a pain in the rear end to work with. He did boycott games to protest the UFL's ridiculous transfer fee ("Hey NFL, if you want to poach our players you pay us $250,000, isn't that smart!?"), which, fair, but also suggests he was outspoken about any bullshit he encountered.

Oh, I guess the Las Vegas Loco's RB that year, DeDe Dorsey, also put up 4.7 ypc. That was on about 90-ish carries. Dorsey spent some time as a bottom-of-the-depth-chart guy on the Bengals in 2007-08. Despite being one of the few competent RBs in the UFL, I don't think he ever made it back to the NFL.

The award for top RB that year went to Sacremento Mountain Lions running back Cory Ross. Ross was able to assemble a 435-yard season on the back of 121 carries. So, 3.6 ypc. He did have the league's longest rush with 75 yards, which if taken away gives him a season with 360 yards on 120 rushes, or exactly 3 ypc. Love that easy math. Ross had been drafted by the Ravens but only spent a year on the squad. Last I heard (ages ago now) he was looking to get into coaching.

The end.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

David Beuhler

Technically a kicker, but at 6'2, 225, was more like a linebacker that could kick the ball far but sucked at directional kicking so he couldn't make field goals reliably. Did 25 reps on the bench at the 2009 combine and ran something like a 4.5-4.6 40. The Cowboys decided to keep him for kickoffs but also roster Dan Bailey because having two kickers is apparently a good idea. He loved him some kickoff coverage though and would gleefully rush at returners.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

You know Marcus and Desmond, but do you recall, the least famous Trufant of all?

Isaiah Trufant was the shortest of the three Trufant brothers. At only 5'7, it's kinda understandable how he didn't get drafted out of college. He worked his way up through various football leagues, including the Arena League 2 in 2006, then the Indoor Football League, and finally the United Football League from 2009-2010 and earning two UFL Championship rings with the Las Vegas Locos. Trufant was easily one of the best CBs in that league despite his size and won DPOY in 2010. This did net him a few years in the NFL with the Jets and Browns. He had a knee injury in late 2013 and despite making the Browns 2014 roster, didn't finish out the season and never stuck with a team after that. Sad but I guess a 5'7, 32-year old corner coming off a knee injury isn't at the top of anyone's list.

One of those guys where you could totally see the talent but could also get why he wasn't anyone's first choice at the NFL level.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Josh Heupel

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Why, after all these years, did I still instantly recognize Rusty Smith?

That man is 50% forehead.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Stewart Bradley. A rare, actually good Eagles LB. Not like amazing, just not some average-below average dude that fills out a roster slot. Got concussed repeatedly. Ended up with the Cards where he got concussed more and was out of the league pretty quick.

He was the guy whose most notable thing was he called a security guard at a concert a slur. Chip Kelly loved him though.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

My man Jerricho Cotchery

My favorite fact about him is that he was born with 6 fingers on one hand. Kind of a shame he'd had the extra ine removed before he got to the NFL.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

Levon Kirkland

It was a bold choice drafting a player out of Costco, but dammit, it worked!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Tom Tupa had such a punter-rear end name that eventually he became one.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Gonz posted:

Larry Centers

Reggie Corner

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I was gonna say Gary Player but I guess that was a golfer, not a punter like I thought.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, that's who I was thinking of!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Limas Sweed

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Tom Brandstater

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Brock Osweiler

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Knew what this was before I even clicked it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Andrew Sendejo. Sendejo was easily the best safety in the UFL.

If you'd have asked me before checking Wikipedia, I'd have told you he spent like two years in the UFL and then like... three with the Vikings? Maybe retired around 2014-15?

Nope. Sendejo was with the Vikes for seven years. Then he ended up on the Eagles in 2019, recording a pick against Kirk Cousins, getting released, then ending up back with the Vikings, which is a real Vikings-rear end story. I'm kinda stunned to find out he was actually on a roster (Colts) in 2021.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

John Madden.

Not the coach, the player.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

gently caress the cowboys

:hmmyes:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Anthoney Toney: the man with two names that are both Tony.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

fartknocker posted:

He sucked in Tecmo.

He was an Eagles RB yeah.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Brandon Lafell. That's a real dude who hung around a while because he wasn't bad but also wasn't good.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Also while looking up stuff about Brandon Lafell, I remembered Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins but got them mixed up.

Thought they were like, a 6th and a 7th-round pick respectively, but Dobson was a 2nd rounder. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Bob Crable.