Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I randomly stumbled onto Kenny Stills twitter earlier as he's currently pushing a call for ceasefire from a few dozen athletes right now, and was reminded of how he was one of the few guys to really side with Kaepernick and kneeling and all that.

Never a star, but put up a pretty respectable 9 year career, almost 5k yards receiving, a healthy 38 touchdowns and even played in a couple of playoff games (he had the first touchdown in that 24-0, whoops now we're losing at halftime Chiefs-Texans playoff game.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhkaGq7Z-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Everyone knows Barry, but back in the mid 90's, there were a few years where the Lions had one of the best offenses going despite their QB being basically the Jimmy G of his era, Scott Mitchell.

He had a 3 year run as a starter and looked like a star thanks to Barry, but also two WR's named Herman Moore and Brett Perriman. Now on paper these two are too good for this conversation, hell Moore put up a near 1700 yard 14 TD season in '95 in the middle of 3 straight 1st team all pro's. But when was the last time you heard anyone mention either of those two guys? Probably not since Calvin Johnson broke their various single season / franchise records.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In 1994, my first year getting into Foobtall, the Patriots rushing attack sucked as loudly as you can suck. They had Marion Butts who ended up averaging 2.9 yards per attempt on 243 carries , and when the team was 4-6 Parcells said gently caress it and let a 2nd year Drew Bledsoe throw the ball an infinite number of times. This started with the second half of a game against Warren Moon that ended up setting a bunch of passing records (112 combined passing attempts for example)

This led to a bunch of volume stat records and an absurd 5 players with more then 50 receptions on some truly ugly statlines for guys not named Ben Coates.

Ben Coates: 148 targets, 96 receptions, 1174 yards, 7 TD's
Michael Timpson: 125 targets, 74 receptions, 941 yards, 3 TD's
Vincent Brisby: 122 targets, 58 receptions, 904 yards, 5 TD's
Leroy Thompson, 86 targets, 65 receptions, 465 yards, 5 TD's
Kevin Turner, 74 targets, 52 receptions, 471 yards, 2 TD's

Kid me certainly thought holy poo poo the team was going to be amazing in 1995 with an actual running back, not yet understanding the concept of volume. Who knew that adding Curtis Martin and Troy Brown to that list would make the offense... a ton more efficient and way, way worse.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

David Boston had that typical WR thing where he was barely productive year 1, decent year 2, breakout star year 3 and then geared up so hard he couldn't run or catch anymore, but holy poo poo he had Clydesdale legs for arms.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

White guy WRs are good for this thread:

One of the great sports videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9IRJ6FHF0

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

The names in that picture are bringing back memories of some unwatchable Dolphins teams. Just missing AJ Feeley or Rob Konrad.

Needs more Randy McMichael

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris Slade

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Michael Jasper was an absurdly large defensive tackle who was drafted by the Bills in 2011, didn't do much and is now the head coach of Bethel.

Here he is acting as a pulling blocker in college:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kidcoelacanth posted:

i can't wait to not remember any of these names when i boot up immaculate grid tomorrow

The second it asks me a guy who played for two teams I tap out. I'm like, yeah sorry, my brain doesn't work like that, remembering a dude who played on the Seahawks and Raiders, sorry.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good guard name: Max Lane

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bethel Johnson was this super fast returner the Patriots had for a few years in the first chunk of the dynasty and I mostly remember him for this bit on one of the 3 games to glory commentaries where one of the OL, probably Joe Andruzzi, described him as so fast he went rabbit hunting with a hammer.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 14, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quiet Feet posted:

He was really good at falling forward to get 3 yards. Classic "you need "X" yards he get you 3 yards" guy.

Zeke is this now, and man it really is an art form to watch.

Him in open space however, was not an art form to watch.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking about big rear end neck rolls

See also: Bryan Cox

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jabar Gaffney.

Not that I think he was ever anyone's #2, but he was the 4th option on the 2007 Patriots, so he basically was covered by air most of the time he was on the field and put up a pretty sweet highlight package along with Donte' Stallworth that year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh man this makes me think of Reche Caldwell

It's funny how one picture makes a dude so reviled when he was basically what David Givens had been for the Pats the few years prior... just without a #1 to draw attention away.

Sorta like how Agholor was in '21 and '22 for New England and then he's a perfectly fine #3 for the Ravens.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jimmy Smith went to 5 straight pro bowls and put up 12k yards receiving and I probably haven't heard his name in fifteen years because he spent almost his entire career on the Jaguars.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Remember when Onterrio Smith got caught with a Whizzinator?

Which I only remember because "Bongterrio Smith" shot through my brain. The internet makes you stupid

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alaois posted:

Nate Newton's 800 lbs of weed

Sam Hurd was released from prison last year after doing 15 years for moving a ton of weed and coke

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you want to watch 10 minutes of a guy following blockers in 22. He had more broken tackles then I remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDyRUVZf7LE

C-Euro posted:

Playing a fun game with myself where I try to remember the picks from the Millen era Lions who weren't first-round busts. Besides Megatron all I can think of are Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola (and Ernie Sims who I already mentioned).

Cory Redding was pretty solid right? Like no star, but clearly a dude you'd be happy with as long as you didn't draft him in the top 10.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Did Marcedes Lewis retire yet? Because talk about a dude who should be on this list because he retired like a decade ago.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Danny Shelton, who was a hulking DT first round pick of the browns, won the last Superbowl with the Pats and bounced around the league a bit. He's mostly memorable for this insane story from high school with his older brother getting jumped, he and his younger brother going to confront the guy who came out firing, killing the younger brother then getting pounded into people pudding by Danny.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alge Crumpler, the long time Falcons TE the Pats brought in in 2010 in case their draft picks Gronk and Aaron Hernandez didn't work out

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Whenever I think of him this starts playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0N4twV28Mw

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Anderson Koopa posted:

Anyone remember Ron Brace?

Yeah, 2nd round pick DE that never panned out, was taken so high because he lined up next to that packers guy.... BJ Raji in college

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The number of guys who Belichick coached up and who left for big contracts they never lived up to is pretty wild.

Anyway, Ty Warren, who was the other 1st round pick DL on those early Patriots teams that wasn't the HoF caliber guy Richard Seymour or Vince Wilfork were, but was still a very solid player for like 7 years before fading away.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

David Patten, the other guy on the "scored an offensive TD 3 ways in a game" list with Walter Payton and LaDainian Tomlinson.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

O-T-I-S Smith

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Laveranues Coles had a better career then you probably remember.

Also I had to google how to spell it, closed the tab, then had to google again because that vowel placement man.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Danny Woodhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcwcjt6qcYs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rectal Placenta posted:

What's the average NFL career length, like 3 seasons?

Closer to 4 for R1-2 players, closer to 2 and going under that for day 3 picks.