Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Problem description: I have been interested in trying out Linux full-time as I have no real personal projects or work that requires a Windows environment and it sounds cool. However, I can't get WiFi to work. I am using the TP Link Archer TX20U (AX1800) USB wifi card/dongle. This is paired with a TP Link Router. The problem is that Linux is able to see the WiFi networks but when trying to connect to my SSID it just keeps looping me to enter my password (I have double and triple checked I am using the right password) without ever connecting.

Used this guide to install the driver: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8852au

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

I've done quite a bit of BINGing, which led me to:

-Check that fast boot was disabled in Windows.
-Confirm that power management is off.
-Disable IPv6.
-Double check that the password is WPA2 and that the connection in Linux is using WPA2.
-Enter the password manually in Connection Settings rather than in the pop-up.
-Went into router settings and delineated 2.4GHz from 5GHz SSID so that they are separate SSID now instead of "smart."
-Reboot multiple times/each time I made a change.
-Try USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
Fresh install of Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 64-Bit installed on it's own separate SSD from Windows.
--

Operating system:
Fresh install of Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 64-Bit installed on it's own separate SSD from Windows.

System specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 4070 ti, latest driver
1TB SSD main drive w/ Windows, 500GB SSD drive with the Linux install
16GB RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh I fought with this one too. I think my solution was to get a different dongle, I have a few I can swap out.

You can keep trying with yours of course. Are you able to connect to a different wifi? Like instead of your router, connect to a Hotspot your phone puts out. I know about USB tethering, hopefully you do too, since that will get you potential repo updates, potential driver updates too. Is your time and date correct? Is the signal good? Uhhhhhhh

I'm not so good at the Linux so hopefully another goon has ideas.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

down1nit posted:

Oh I fought with this one too. I think my solution was to get a different dongle, I have a few I can swap out.

This was the solution! :newlol:

I installed a PCI Express wifi card with an Intel chipset and it connected to the network perfectly first try. Thank you for your reply down1nit!

This case is SOLVED