Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Getting a bank account as a new resident. Oh boy is it not easy, and even if you are lucky enough to be bestowed with access to the Korean banking system it might be with child-size limits for a few months which sort of makes it impossible to live. You may have to shop around, even between branches of the same bank -- one person will say no, one person will say it's impossible, one person will say my boss won't let me, one person will say it's illegal, and one person will say duh obviously you can open a bank account, you have all your documents why would there be any problem?

(Come to think of it, this process goes for a lot of things)

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Is it still that way? It was years ago, but it's been a long time since I've heard of such difficulties with setting up an account (unless you try to do it without an ARC, in which case there are significant limitations).

That was almost three years ago for me, so maybe things got better since then. I had my ARC, which took about a month (I think you get some sort of document after completing the ARC application to use before you get the actual card/number, but it turns out that it's pretty useless.) I was not working at a Korean company though, I'd imagine that would have made things easier.