Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know it can't be a bird. They don't have birds in star wars. Convergently evolved equivalents on whichever world might support them, sure, but they wouldn't be what you or I would call a bird, let alone a falcon.

So what's a falcon? What beast inspired Lando to name his ship that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Finger Prince posted:

I know it can't be a bird. They don't have birds in star wars. Convergently evolved equivalents on whichever world might support them, sure, but they wouldn't be what you or I would call a bird, let alone a falcon.

So what's a falcon? What beast inspired Lando to name his ship that?

Obviously a big fan of the Maltese Falcon op. Some sort of trenchcoated vigilante that saps the color from the room to confuse their foes? Bad case of imposter syndrome? I haven't seen it personally, not a big fan of gas giant produced movies.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

falc-on deez nuts

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What exactly is a rat and what makes these ones whomp?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The name is a nod to the Eagle from Space 1999. Early on, Han's ship looked quite similar to the Eagle, so George Lucas decided to redesign it to be more unique - and seemingly called it the "Millennium Falcon" to denote its superiority to the "1999 Eagle".

It was also perfectly fine to name something after a Falcon at that time - because back then the Star Wars galaxy was our galaxy in the far future. The initial story synopsis Lucas wrote explicitly set the movie during the 33rd century - a detail that was omitted from later drafts to give the film a more timeless quality.

A replacement for the 33rd century setting didn't actually appear until the film was in post-production, when the "long time ago in a galaxy far far away" title card was tacked on to the beginning of the movie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Robot Style posted:

The name is a nod to the Eagle from Space 1999. Early on, Han's ship looked quite similar to the Eagle, so George Lucas decided to redesign it to be more unique - and seemingly called it the "Millennium Falcon" to denote its superiority to the "1999 Eagle".

It was also perfectly fine to name something after a Falcon at that time - because back then the Star Wars galaxy was our galaxy in the far future. The initial story synopsis Lucas wrote explicitly set the movie during the 33rd century - a detail that was omitted from later drafts to give the film a more timeless quality.

A replacement for the 33rd century setting didn't actually appear until the film was in post-production, when the "long time ago in a galaxy far far away" title card was tacked on to the beginning of the movie.

That's some good-rear end trivia. In a way, being set in the 33rd century, Millennium would make some sense. It would be like naming your boat Ragnarok or something because it sounds cool and apparently it was a significant event to a culture from 1300 (or 300) years ago. The falcon part is harder to stretch that way, but I suppose naming it for a mythical predator from the Old World would be like naming your boat "the kraken".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

NOT MUCH WHAT'S FALC ON WITH YOU?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

josh04 posted:

NOT MUCH WHAT'S FALC ON WITH YOU?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

falc-on deez nuts

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

steve jobs died of falcon

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Caidin posted:

What exactly is a rat and what makes these ones whomp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0o5zLoFp2Y

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

They do have birds in Star Wars, or at least in the old EU.

I vaguely remember Obi Wan making a comment about ducks to Luke in (I think) the A New Hope novelisation and Luke just going "What's a duck?" because of course why would some hick kid from a desert planet know what a waterfowl is?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Icedude posted:

I vaguely remember Obi Wan making a comment about ducks to Luke in (I think) the A New Hope novelisation and Luke just going "What's a duck?" because of course why would some hick kid from a desert planet know what a waterfowl is?

Guess there's no ducks on Stormtrooper Planet either.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Icedude posted:

quack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was watching a Star Wars movie the other day that had a bird in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfMWlAF5RW0