Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arnaught
Feb 13, 2012
Problem description: I’m really hoping someone here can help, I’m at my wit’s end. I’m not even sure if this is a hardware issue (and if so, the motherboard or GPU) or a software/driver issue. I’m trying to finish building the below system. The GPU came last, so I put everything else together, installed Windows, etc. No issues there, everything seemed to be working perfectly.

However, the GPU finally arrived and I’ve been unable to get it actually working. The driver installation seems to work at first, but after the required system restart the GPU is no longer recognized. At that point, it only shows up under hidden devices in Windows Device Manager (in the properties menu, it will say the hardware is no longer connected despite not physically touching it).

At first glance, the GPU appears to be ok. The 12VHPWR cable is fully inserted, the RGB lights up, and the fans spin.

Some things I’ve noticed that may or may not be relevant:
  • I've recently discovered that any system restart will cause the GPU to not be recognized. I have to physically re-insert the card to get it to show up again.
  • I believe the GPU is fully inserted in the PCIe slot (using the top, x16 PCIe 5 slot), but it’s very hard to see in there. Unfortunately, the slot locking tab was made out of some horribly weak plastic and broke, so I can’t use that as an indicator. The end of the GPU appears to be resting on a motherboard heatsink; unfortunately, it’s not a removable one.
  • The loss of GPU recognition doesn’t appear to be intermittent. After removing all drivers and re-inserting the card, it will remain available in Device Manager and HWiNFO until a system restart.
  • I’ve never been able to get a working HDMI signal from the GPU (I don't yet have a Displayport cable to test that). At first, I chalked this up to a driver conflict with the AMD iGPU drivers Windows automatically installed, but I still get no signal even after removing those with DDU.
  • After removing all drivers and re-inserting the GPU, both the iGPU and the 4070 Ti Super show up in Device Manager as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”, but the GPU has an error message in the Device Status (“This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter”). However, HWiNFO is able to properly recognize both the iGPU and the 4070 Ti Super (until a system restart, after which the GPU is hidden in Device Manager and doesn’t show up in HWiNFO).

Attempted fixes: I’ve tried everything I could think of/Google for with no success.
  • I’ve uninstalled both the Nvidia GPU drivers and the AMD iGPU drivers with DDU. Doing this and then physically re-inserting the GPU will allow me to restart the whole process but with no further success (i.e., I can start the Nvidia driver installation, but the GPU won’t be recognized after the required system restart). I’ve done this multiple times, including after booting Windows into safe mode.
  • Following some Googled tips, I tried removing the Nvidia drivers through the Device Manager. This removed the GPU entry, but it didn’t go back to the generic MS display drivers and the GPU wouldn’t show up in Device Manager until physically re-inserted.
  • I've dug around a bit in the UEFI, but there doesn't appear to be a way to set the primary graphics adapter.

Recent changes: This is a new system I’m trying to finish building, so everything is new.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro x64

System specs:
CPU: AMD 7800X3D
CPU cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend
RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96
GPU: PNY 4070 Ti Super XLR8
SSD: Western Digital SN850X 4TB
PSU: Super Flower Leadex VII XP Pro 850W
Case: Fractal Design North

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X670E%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#BIOS

Arnaught
Feb 13, 2012

I'm using the latest stable BIOS (2.02). Do you think one of the beta versions would help?

Arnaught
Feb 13, 2012
An update:

I had time to pull my (known working) GTX 970 out of my old system and put it into the new one. It seems to be working perfectly; drivers installed with no issues and system restarts cause no problems. It sure seems like it must be the new GPU that's at fault, though I'd love to hear thoughts from others with more experience (the last time I built a computer was ~2015, so it's been quite a while).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Arnaught posted:

I'm using the latest stable BIOS (2.02). Do you think one of the beta versions would help?

Possibly. It's up to you if you want to try it. Some prefer not to install the beta ones.

Arnaught posted:

An update:

I had time to pull my (known working) GTX 970 out of my old system and put it into the new one. It seems to be working perfectly; drivers installed with no issues and system restarts cause no problems. It sure seems like it must be the new GPU that's at fault, though I'd love to hear thoughts from others with more experience (the last time I built a computer was ~2015, so it's been quite a while).

It's a decent bet that the GPU has an issue.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Here's the way I would do this:

Disassemble all of it.

Test everything outside of the case assembly. Drivers, games, etc. Hopefully this does it. Then if it does, inspect case and reassemble correctly using the right screws and the right standoff depth (if it's a thing)

If not, Inspect the card, look for missing bits, especially any components near the edge. Use light and magnification if you need it.

Clean everything very well and gently with alcohol and some qtips under a strong as hell light source with magnification

Update everything (bios, vbios)

Arnaught
Feb 13, 2012

down1nit posted:

Here's the way I would do this:

Disassemble all of it.

Test everything outside of the case assembly. Drivers, games, etc. Hopefully this does it. Then if it does, inspect case and reassemble correctly using the right screws and the right standoff depth (if it's a thing)

If not, Inspect the card, look for missing bits, especially any components near the edge. Use light and magnification if you need it.

Clean everything very well and gently with alcohol and some qtips under a strong as hell light source with magnification

Update everything (bios, vbios)

Thanks to both you and Zogo for your help! I think I managed to track the problem down to the motherboard (the main PCIe slot, specifically).

Rather conveniently, Amazon decided to send me two 4070 Ti Super cards a few days apart, the new one arriving today. The new card exhibited the same symptoms as the previous one, so I took everything apart and reassembled it outside the case. This didn't change anything: the Nvidia drivers would not successfully install, there was no HDMI signal out, and a restart would hide the device in the Device Manager.

However, both GPUs seem to work fine in the bottom PCIe 3 slot (there wasn't enough room to try this in the case). Drivers were successfully installed, no errors reported in Device Manager, restarts were fine, and there was a good HDMI signal out. To me, this strongly suggests that there's some problem with the primary PCIe slot on the motherboard (though if that's the case, I have no idea why my old 970 did work in the slot...).

I'm thinking I need to return this motherboard and get a new one. Does this seem like a reasonable conclusion?

Edit:
Forgot to mention there was a new symptom too. With either GPU in the primary PCIe slot, restarts started to either pause for several minutes while booting, or failed to boot altogether (with the final 'boot' LED lit on the motherboard). Toggling the power at the PSU and then starting it up would usually work, but a restart would have those issues once again. There are no issues booting with either no GPU installed, or one installed in the bottommost PCIe slot.

Arnaught fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 19, 2024

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Arnaught posted:

I'm thinking I need to return this motherboard and get a new one. Does this seem like a reasonable conclusion?

Yes, you could try that.

Arnaught
Feb 13, 2012
Just want to post a conclusion to this, in case it's useful to someone with similar problems.

I returned the motherboard and got a new one (same make, model, etc.). This one works perfectly, no issues at all with the GPU anymore. So it seems the motherboard did indeed have a bum primary PCIe slot.

Thanks again to Zogo and down1nit for your help and advice!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Arnaught posted:

Just want to post a conclusion to this, in case it's useful to someone with similar problems.

I returned the motherboard and got a new one (same make, model, etc.). This one works perfectly, no issues at all with the GPU anymore. So it seems the motherboard did indeed have a bum primary PCIe slot.

Thanks again to Zogo and down1nit for your help and advice!

Sick. great troubleshooting job!

Also, I do hope the number of 4070ti Super cards you own hasn't gone down. Errors are errors you know.

Arnaught
Feb 13, 2012
They have not... decisions, decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
:parrot: