Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I got home from work one afternoon a couple of weeks ago and was doing some gardening when this cat rocked up and starting smooching against my leg and everything else in the vicinity:

I'm fairly sure she's female, and possibly not fully grown or maybe just a little small for an adult. I'd never seen her around before. Since her first appearance she's spent a lot of time here, around the yard and inside the house, even before I started feeding her. She has no collar and I've taken her to the vet to be checked for a microchip, which she doesn't have. I've posted to some local community and lost & found pets pages on facebook but no-one has claimed her. At first I thought maybe she had a family who were away on holiday and had neighbours leaving food out for her, as she wouldn't initially eat much of what I gave her. However she's eating a lot more regularly now and it's been 2-3 weeks and she's still spending a lot of time here. She does roam a bit and disappeared for a couple of days once after the first week or so and I thought I'd seen the last of her, but she reappeared at my door eventually and has at least turned up for a feed each day since. I'm still not entirely convinced she doesn't belong to someone in the neighbourhood and isn't just two-timing, but I'm also wondering if maybe she abandoned or was abandoned by her previous owners. I've noticed she doesn't seem as affectionate as other cats. She likes pats and ear scratches and purrs when I give them, but never approaches me to do anything other than rub against my leg or my hand if I offer it. Never sits on my lap and doesn't stay long if I put her there. Initially she'd occasionally scratch me at random even when I was just patting her and she was purring but she seems to have stopped that now. Might be an abandonment/trust thing?

Anyway I was wondering if goons had any insight or advice. Should I officially adopt her and take her back to the vet for a proper checkup and if necessary, desexing? I'm not supposed to have pets since this is a rental but eh gently caress it. As long as I make sure she's not inside when I have a property inspection and don't leave any cat bowls/food lying around I can just claim she's some random neighbourhood cat if they even see her.

edit for bonus pics

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Congratulations on your new cat. Was she already neutered when the vet checked her out? If so, she may have been an abandoned pet, because feral cats typically are skittish around humans and aren't easily socialized. (Might also been part of a cat colony that had a human care taker but got punted out for various cat reasons.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cat Delivery System functional it seems.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

you should name her Parsley op

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

kw0134 posted:

Was she already neutered when the vet checked her out?

It was literally just a free scan to see if she was microchipped, they didn’t check anything else. That’s the next step since it looks like she’s here to stay.

Call Your Grandma posted:

you should name her Parsley op

That’s pretty good but I’ve already started calling her Enigma. Only problem is it really doesn’t shorten well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Since she's a female, 'Enigma' can be sort of shortened to Mimi?