Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am teaching a photojournalism class and I want to end the school year introducing the students (high school juniors and seniors) to drone photography/videography.

I am looking at purchasing a drone that I can work with myself and then have the students work with as well. I was looking at a DJI Mini 3 that has a screen on the controller.

Is this a good system or is something better? Is there anything I need to be aware of before getting this?

https://a.co/d/4M1pf6Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

There is a whole shitload you need to be aware of! Specifically, FAA part 107 assuming you are in the US. It details how to fly legally for commercial operation (which has pretty broad definition)

If you are a public entity, some states have banned the purchase of Chinese drones and there's a federal law coming soon apparently.

The hardware is good, DJI equipment is generally good quality. Decent camera on a flying tripod with intuitive controls and nice features. I think it complies with the recent (or upcoming?) Remote ID laws.

Just, stress the importance of being safe, responsible and legal. It isn't a toy, it's a fairly dangerous tool

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Heh, sorry, don't mean to come off harsh. The FAA is cracking down more as people do dumb stuff like fly into a Bengals game.

I have two DJI drones, one of them is the predecessor to what you linked, a Mini 2. It's a good drone and would be a nice learning tool. The bigger ones are more stable in wind and might have better cameras, but are also double the price.

The screen on the controller is for-sure the way to go. So much more convenient than the phone app and holder.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Is there a drone thread on the forums? I just bought my first fpv drone (also the first drone I have to register with the FAA) and I'd love to chat with other goons about it

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779&pagenumber=333&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

:buddy: