Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Problem description: Its an 8 year old seagate 4tb external drive, HFS+ journaling, I backed up an old machine that was dying in 2016 and now it will only mount on certain machines. Mounts fine on my 2020 MacBook Air running Ventura, is invisible to my 2012 Mac mini running High Sierra.
Attempted fixes: Tried different cables and USB ports, launched disk utility. Cable/ports had no effect, drive cannot be seen by High Sierra disk utility.
Recent changes: Not that I can think of

--

Operating system: MacOS X, ventura and High Sierra

System specs: MacBook Air 2020 M1, Mac mini 2012, core duo

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does the external HD have its own power cord? Sometimes the USB ports on some machines don't have enough power to run the external drives.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Zogo posted:

Does the external HD have its own power cord? Sometimes the USB ports on some machines don't have enough power to run the external drives.

Yes, it's a 3.5" drive with it's own cord.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK then, assuming you can HEAR or FEEL it spin up and it still works, make sure you have a copy of everything on this drive. This drive is probably OK but acting odd. Any time a drive is acting odd, you should make sure it has a complete separate backup of itself, just in case this drive decides to die.

If you are ONLY storing the old computer's backup, AND you don't need anything on this particular 4tb drive, feel free to just reformat it. There are odd partition errors that happen with HFS+ filesystems that I've seldom fixed, and they usually happen with time machine drives.

If you NEED STUFF ON THIS DRIVE, make sure you have a copy, and then feel free to run first aid on on both the volume and the partition in disk utility. It may fix it! Macs are great sometimes!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

down1nit posted:

OK then, assuming you can HEAR or FEEL it spin up and it still works, make sure you have a copy of everything on this drive. This drive is probably OK but acting odd. Any time a drive is acting odd, you should make sure it has a complete separate backup of itself, just in case this drive decides to die.

If you are ONLY storing the old computer's backup, AND you don't need anything on this particular 4tb drive, feel free to just reformat it. There are odd partition errors that happen with HFS+ filesystems that I've seldom fixed, and they usually happen with time machine drives.

If you NEED STUFF ON THIS DRIVE, make sure you have a copy, and then feel free to run first aid on on both the volume and the partition in disk utility. It may fix it! Macs are great sometimes!

Yeah, I think that's going to be the plan, thankfully I can mount it somewhere. Thanks.