Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i like to idolize people who haven't killed anyone

Coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i like to idolize people who haven't killed anyone

do you think fewer people would have died if JFK remained president

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It was aliens, op.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

you broke my grill posted:

I feel like ballistics and physical evidence 100% points to the only shots coming from the 6th floor window from the book depository fired from the rifle owned by Oswald and I will not listen to any theories beyond that.

I also feel like all the evidence I've heard points to it being Oswald being the lone shooter acting alone not part of a conspiracy but I am slightly more open to listening to conspiracies about that because I can never say 100% that that's right but I have never heard a theory that has convinced me more than the Warren Commission story

after watching the US's collective intelligence agencies let 9/11 happen, it seems exceedingly likely that Oswald was working alone. I think if he had more people involved they would have snitched. Also I think Jack Ruby knew he was sick and didn't mind effectively trading his life to kill Oswald

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Always amusing how people can partition two groups evidence in their mind as "this is legitimate" and "this is fake/doctored/mistaken" despite not seeing the event with their own eyes.

"I feel like ballistics and physical evidence was 100% not tampered with and I will not listen to any theories beyond that"

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
JFK shot first

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I feel like ballistics and physical evidence 100% points to the only shots coming from the 6th floor window from the book depository fired from the rifle owned by Oswald and I will not listen to any theories beyond that.

I also feel like all the evidence I've heard points to it being Oswald being the lone shooter acting alone not part of a conspiracy but I am slightly more open to listening to conspiracies about that because I can never say 100% that that's right but I have never heard a theory that has convinced me more than the Warren Commission story

I won't say I've gone through it into exacting detail about the assassination but every time I read up about the various theories they initially sound compelling until you go into it a bit more and realize there actually isn't that much there and the most likely explanation is that Oswald did it alone.

I do understand the frustration people have, I think the hardest hurdle to get over is the fact that Oswald was captured and, through an insane series of events, managed to get assassinated himself one day later in the very narrow window of time that somebody could have possibly gotten to him. The whole Jack Ruby thing is catnip for conspiracies even though, ultimately, I think it really is just a particular crazy coincidence when you look at the details.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

If you spend 5 minutes analyzing is it worth giving up your life to kill Oswald in revenge for JFK I don't think most people or even Jack Ruby would have done it. This is just my speculation but I really do think it was just a spur of the minute heightened emotions thing that made Ruby do it.

The police told the news reporters to be ready at 10am if they wanted to see Oswald transferred. At 10am Ruby was at home. He got a call from one of his strippers (he owned a strip club) asking for money. He went to western union and the Western Union receipt says 11:17. He shot Oswald at 11:21 and walked in with like less than a minute before Oswald was moved into the basement. Oswald's transfer was delayed by the interrogation taking longer and then longer by Oswald himself asking for a sweater before they moved him. So Oswald himself was involved in the conspiracy to kill himself.

I think once again it was just a crazy situation of the right moment presenting himself and Jack Ruby acted in a moment of impulse and grief and just shot Oswald. He always carried a gun on him because he worked in a cash business and made frequent deposits.

Another thing that is notable about looking at this is the amount of personal grief people had over JFK's death. Cynically I don't think people would care this much if any President since was killed.

Also if the conspiracy plan was to kill Oswald so he didn't talk, why did they let him get arrested and spend 2 days in custody before killing him? Just shoot him outside the book depository, they obviously don't care about security if they did it in the police basement. Hell, Jack Ruby can be seen in video of the police station Friday night, why wait until Sunday? Why not have people waiting at Oswald's boarding house where he went to after the shooting?

for the conspiracy to work it would have to be the most perfectly planned and executed conspiracy ever

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

sure okay posted:

Always amusing how people can partition two groups evidence in their mind as "this is legitimate" and "this is fake/doctored/mistaken" despite not seeing the event with their own eyes.

"I feel like ballistics and physical evidence was 100% not tampered with and I will not listen to any theories beyond that"

do you think the baillistics evidence was tampered with?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I kinda doubt JFK would have been able to break the Conservative Caucus the way Johnson did (given that he was literally the protege of Sen. Russell and knew all his tricks). You could argue that given that the Republicans were already making inroads into the American South before 1964, Civil Rights and the Great Society had to happen when it did. Johnson was pretty uniquely positioned to threaten, cajole, bribe and bully Medicaid and Medicare through the Senate.

No idea if Kennedy would have pulled the plug on Vietnam, but with Kissinger mucking about there was always going to be some pestilential predilection for destroying Southeast Asia. So while I appreciate Oswald's contribution to domestic policy, his failure to kill Kissinger poisons his contribution to history.

In all seriousness though, I will always appreciate the Oswald Photoshop Thread from back in the day.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

rly makes u think

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i think he wouldve invented world peace and thats why harvard had him killed

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Also if the conspiracy plan was to kill Oswald so he didn't talk, why did they let him get arrested and spend 2 days in custody before killing him? Just shoot him outside the book depository, they obviously don't care about security if they did it in the police basement. Hell, Jack Ruby can be seen in video of the police station Friday night, why wait until Sunday? Why not have people waiting at Oswald's boarding house where he went to after the shooting?

Yeah that's one of the big holes in any conspiracy for me, nobody would have trouble believing that a guy who had already killed the President and a policeman would get gunned down in a big confrontation rather than taken alive. The fact that he was actually captured is a bizarre turn of events that doesn't make any sense for a conspiracy.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Worf posted:

do you think fewer people would have died if JFK remained president

i can think of at least one

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I would be curious to see a poll of the general public comparing the popularity ratings of JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

khwarezm posted:

Yeah that's one of the big holes in any conspiracy for me, nobody would have trouble believing that a guy who had already killed the President and a policeman would get gunned down in a big confrontation rather than taken alive. The fact that he was actually captured is a bizarre turn of events that doesn't make any sense for a conspiracy.

Lee tried to shoot it out with the police. He pulled out his revolver in the theater when they came to arrest him and the police tackled him and captured him before he could shoot anyone else. I guess a shock that the police tried to capture someone instead of kill him but I think they really wanted this guy alive

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Now what's the opinion of the guy who assassinated Franz Ferdinand? Pro: he targeted a royal. Con: kind of started a bit of a war.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

do the Hapsburgs or the Kenndys have more stans

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'll stan for Franz, again its ironic because he understood that the empire was being torn asunder by its ethnic divisions and that they couldn't keep going without major reform, he essentially planned to elevate the Slavic population as a third pole in the empire along with the Hungarians and Germans to try and placate nationalist sentiment and make it more of a modern, federated, truly multicultural state.

It probably wouldn't have worked in the long run but it was the best bet for the Hapsburg empire. Its also worth pointing out that the Black Hand were ultimately an ultra-nationalist organization that was quite openly Serb-dominationist, which had already caused widespread ethnic cleansing during the Balkan wars and would sow the seeds for huge problems in Yugoslavia in the future.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grammarchist posted:

In all seriousness though, I will always appreciate the Oswald Photoshop Thread from back in the day.

god yes that pic is a classic

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

god yes that pic is a classic

I think it's one of the best photoshops in SomethingAwful history.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

like nobody ever thinks john hinckley was part of a vast conspiracy, but reagan could easily have been killed and if he had there'd probably be a huge amount of conspiracy theory bullshit about it too

This is a classic human mental fallacy: we like the causes of events to be proportionate to what happened. JFK, the king of 'Camelot' is murdered? Vast conspiracy. Ronald Reagan survives? Lone nut. Same with the failed assassination attempt of John Paul II. The guy who tried it has hooks that could form a dozen giant conspiracy webs, but it never formed. Because the Pope didn't die, so it got chalked up to the lone radical theory. People HATE it when the answer is 'Well a bunch of tiny things eventually line up and stuff just Happens' (See: Covid-19. I remember in the years before people saying we were overdue to have another worldwide pandemic in the vein of the Spanish Flu and lo and behold, it finally happened). They'd rather some giant intricate plan than 'chaos is life, life is chaos'.

Though personally, I am fond of the 'Mortal Error' theory, which basically goes; New to the force Secret Service agent George Warren Hickey Jr wasn't 'cool enough' to go out and party with the more established Secret Service agents the night before. So he's not hungover the next day, so he gets put in a position of guarding he'd never been in before and had very little training in. He's riding in the car behind Kennedy. Oswald makes his first shot, misses. Hickey reacts by reaching for the AR-15 which he has little training in under his seat, pulls it out. Oswald makes his second (and final) shot, hitting Kennedy in the neck (and please note that Kennedy wasn't just sitting normally in a normal car, he was sitting in a special car with an upraised seat and Kennedy wore a back brace to deal with pain, which rendered him unable to lean over). Hickey stands up (front seat, it's a convertible with the top down), just as his driver hits the gas. Hickey falls back into his seat, and in an absolutely terrible freak accident, his gun misfires and manages to fire the third shot that hits Kennedy in the head.

Now, Oswald's own successful shot likely could and would have killed Kennedy anyway, but Hickey's shot in this theory sealed it. And that was the conspiracy. Not that the CIA/FBI/Cuba/The Mafia/Russia/Mossad/Aliens arranged a huge setup with grassy knolls and magic bullets and time travel and etc etc. But that Kennedy was killed by one of his own agents...by accident. Imagine the propaganda coup that would be for the Soviet Union. The decadent capitalist dogs are so (bad thing) they kill their own leaders due to their incompetence! Hence efforts to muddy the waters. Why have they not admitted it now, decades after the Cold War ended? That, I don't know. It's probably at this point a sort of 'It never came out, just keep it hidden' inertia.

The reason this theory doesn't get more traction is...it is like I said. It's not some giant web of setup. It's one lone lunatic and an absolutely horrible freak set of odds. It's chaos. And so many people are far more terrified of 'life is chaos' than 'Everything is controlled by malevolent masterminds for some insidious masterplan'. Look no further than Jack Ruby, who basically blew up the chance that figuring out the truth would never happen by also(?) being a random bit of chaos killing the only non-chaos bit of the equation.

---

syntaxfunction posted:

Now what's the opinion of the guy who assassinated Franz Ferdinand? Pro: he targeted a royal. Con: kind of started a bit of a war.

If it hadn't been Franz, it would have been something else. Europe was spoiling for a war with all the new toys they'd acquired, which they didn't understand turned their games of butchery into games of mechanical semi genocide, which they sunk cost fallacy'd into worse and worse situations. Seriously, that Blackadder bit is completely correct: The Great War happened because it was too much trouble NOT to have a war.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 20, 2024

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i'm not gonna lie, the quantum leap episode where he keeps leaping into oswald was really good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

did you ppl like that 11.22.63 show

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

it was actually the umbrella man who shot JFK with a poison dart from his umbrella he can be seen opening at frame 220 of the Zapruder film and he's the only person with an umbrella as the rain had stopped and it was sunny by the time the motorcade drove by

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Worf posted:

did you ppl like that 11.22.63 show

I liked it and I liked the book. I am a fan of Stephen King.

I'm also very lonely and fantasize about time travelling to a different era where I have a girlfriend

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Op, its pretty simple.

JFK->KFK->KKK

I think that should answer your questions.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bobby got his brother popped for deporting Carlos Marcello. That’s also how Momo got whacked in his basement and Johnny Roselli ended up in a barrel in the ocean.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Spazzle posted:

Op, its pretty simple.

JFK->KFK->KKK

I think that should answer your questions.

Where does KFC fit in?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Szyznyk posted:

Where does KFC fit in?

Oswald had tried to assassinate Colonel Sanders in April 1963, that shows his propensity for political violence, and that's also the reason he bought his revolver and rifle

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

Where does KFC fit in?

Somewhere after ARBY'S

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The wildest theory I occasionally subscribe to is the accidental discharge of secret service from behind. I don't buy into it fully, but I definitely think it's possible. However, I also think it's likely it was just Oswald with a remarkable shot. Sometimes the unexpected happens, it's okay.

I dont really give a poo poo either way JFK died a long rear end time before i was born.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

You don't have to be a remarkable shot to make the JFK headshot it was not that hard at 88 yards with a scoped rifle for a trained shooter from the high ground

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shinjobi posted:

The wildest theory I occasionally subscribe to is the accidental discharge of secret service from behind. I don't buy into it fully, but I definitely think it's possible. However, I also think it's likely it was just Oswald with a remarkable shot. Sometimes the unexpected happens, it's okay.

I dont really give a poo poo either way JFK died a long rear end time before i was born.

I mean its backed up by his military record that Oswald was a good shot, and considering that JFK was moving slowly in a predictable trajectory, its more than possible that he could have done it. I never really buy into the idea that actually performing the shot to kill him that you can see on the Zapruder film is a major hole that needs to be explained, despite people's preoccupation with the magic bullet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also OP the answer to "why isn't Oswald praised by lefties" is that the popular image of JFK was unequivocal good guy and so it doesn't really matter what your finer points are you're just gonna look like a nutjobby rear end in a top hat for being like "YEAH I'M GLAD SOMEONE SHOT HIM" cause optics are a thing.

It's like having problems with some stuff Gandhi did, it doesn't really matter because you're just gonna look like an rear end in a top hat to basically everyone. So like, bear that cross or just forget it.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The magic bulltet is not even the head shot. The head shot that people are preoccupied with from the Zapruder film is that JFK's head moves 'back and to the left' implying a shot from the front

but how many people have you seen actually shot in the head irl? how do you know how they react? if you look at frames 313 and 314 you can see blood splatter moving forward and then the resulting blood spray moves his head back from the recoil of the bullet and gore moving out of the forward of his head

and the autopsy shows an entry wound in the back of his head

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

people will bring up that Oswald's shooting record in the military shows him (the latter time) as meeting the minimum basic requirements to pass

but even the minimum just barely qualifying person to qualify in the USMC is a better shot than the average person doncha think

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Kennedy was laced up in back brace at the time, so its possible his body would've bounced weird when he was shot

Also 200 yards with an iron sight is the bare minimum for US military shooting qualifications. 88 yards from an elevated position with a scope is a layup.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

it's possible if JFK was not wearing the back brace he could have slumped over after the (maybe) non-lethal shot through the back and throat and not leave his head exposed for the fatal shot

a million unanswered variables