Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

I'm going to go ahead and put my big picture prediction here so that everyone can quote it and laugh at me when it's proven wrong (either in Rebirth or part 3):

Regarding this - from what I've seen/read about Rebirth, it doesn't work.

REBIRTH ENDING SPOILERS - Aerith dies but it happens off screen. They're in the Temple of the Ancients and Aerith is there and then from Cloud's point of view everything glitches out as he has a mental break moment and then when he comes to, Aerith is dead on the ground. We never see Sephiroth kill her. (Maybe they'll twist it in FF7R3 that Cloud killed her? idk. seems dumb).

The final boss is Bizzaro Sephiroth.

The final battle involves Zach and Aerith from an alternate Zach timeline (timeline 2). Sephiroth (or maybe Jenova?) wants to merge these two timelines. In timeline 2, majority of party from timeline 1 is dead.

Then, in Cloud's grief and anger, he picks up the holy materia but corrupts it before placing it in his sword. Then credits roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Regarding this - from what I've seen/read about Rebirth, it doesn't work.

REBIRTH ENDING SPOILERS - Aerith dies but it happens off screen. They're in the Temple of the Ancients and Aerith is there and then from Cloud's point of view everything glitches out as he has a mental break moment and then when he comes to, Aerith is dead on the ground. We never see Sephiroth kill her. (Maybe they'll twist it in FF7R3 that Cloud killed her? idk. seems dumb).

The final boss is Bizzaro Sephiroth.

The final battle involves Zach and Aerith from an alternate Zach timeline (timeline 2). Sephiroth (or maybe Jenova?) wants to merge these two timelines. In timeline 2, majority of party from timeline 1 is dead.

Then, in Cloud's grief and anger, he picks up the holy materia but corrupts it before placing it in his sword. Then credits roll.

A vast majority of what you posted is inaccurate.

Like I'm not going to spoil the ending of the game but if that is the leak that is going around then it's pretty bluntly like at best a telephone game of a telephone game of someone who ripped a cutscene.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 23, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"I know the ending but I won't post it, in the spoiler thread that exists basically for this spoiler" :downs:

This is worse than the reddit thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

"I know the ending but I won't post it, in the spoiler thread that exists basically for this spoiler" :downs:

This is worse than the reddit thread.

The ending is the one thing S-E specifically, straightforwardly and bluntly asked not to spoil and I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'll refrain from saying anything more if it is that much of a bother. I'm not trying to be a dick about this.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 23, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I assume ImpAtom has a good reason not to spoil the ending so :shrug:

ImpAtom posted:

Like I'm not going to spoil the ending of the game but if that is the leak that is going around then it's pretty bluntly like at best a telephone game of a telephone game of someone who ripped a cutscene.

It has been interesting watching the game of telephone happen through sites like GameFAQs and Lifestream.net as a bunch of conflicting information (some of which is fake, some is probably misinterpreted or poorly described, some real) collides and gets all mixed up and then everyone has their own version of what they think the leaked ending is.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm only going off what I've gathered online. So maybe it is wildly inaccurate.

According to Tamoor from Gamespot, the ending is a loving mess.

Gamespot Review posted:

There is one specific moment that has been the subject of will-they-won't-they speculation for years, and how it resolves manages to be confusing to the point of being incomprehensible. For the original Final Fantasy 7, it became an iconic moment crystalized in the minds of millions by its emotionally devastating impact--and for many, it changed the way they thought about video game characters. In Rebirth, it is bewildering and undermines multiple characters, diminishing and obfuscating qualities that define who they are, the decisions they make, and their motivations for doing so, while also being unclear about what is actually happening. Aerith, in particular, is robbed of a moment that is so crucial to her character by the messy delivery; the message is lost among narrative noise that wasn't there before and it's so uncharacteristic of a game that otherwise is sharp in how it presents its characters. In my case, there was also an instance where the way the story unfolded and a character behaved contradicted how the actions I had taken up until that point dictated it should have played out. Of course, all of this is open to interpretation and perhaps some will find meaning where I couldn't, but having to untangle a story in a desperate bid to make sense of it isn't what I wanted to be doing when the journey was complete.

For the record, this was one of the main ending "spoilers" I saw:

quote:

Aerith 1 from reality 1 aka the reality we currently play in does die.

Aerith 2 the one you save when you play as Zack aka Zack 2 are from reality 2. You also see Aerith 2 in bed next to Zack in one of the older trailers about a month or two ago.

Red, Tifa, Barret, and a few others died in reality 2 as you probably all already saw in one of the older trailers.

There would be a great merging event later called the Great Merge or something like that will fuse reality 1 with reality 2 and they'll fight Bizzaro Sephiroth.

Biggs has some dark secrets, reality 2 Biggs that is.

One of the Jenova from one of the realities is trying to use the lifestream to attack other realities and absorbing more of her own parts from other realities. Thankfully she isn't in reality 1 yet but the merged reality between 1 and 2 at the end is in danger. So part 3 is most likely going to be us working with reality 2's survivors to prepare for this.

One of the Sephiroths in one of the realities is still good but will he stay good later, nobody knows yet.

There might actually still be living Ancient Cetras hidding out there. Rebirth side quests hints to this. My guess is they will come aid us against Jenova kinda like Fusoya from FFIV.

There are more WEAPON out there but in names only so I'm guessing you fight them in Part 3 or some of them are neutral. Some of the new ones are named Amethyst WEAPON, Agate WEAPON, Aquamarine WEAPON, Opal WEAPON. Garnet WEAPON.

Roche does not die in Rebirth and he'll get a new bike.

Genesis does not appear in Rebirth but there are hints of him so I think he'll be in for part 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I'm only going off what I've gathered online. So maybe it is wildly inaccurate.

According to Tamoor from Gamespot, the ending is a loving mess.

For the record, this was one of the main ending "spoilers" I saw:

So I can say at least the second there is 100% made up bullshit. Like not even "misunderstood", that's just someone making stuff up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So I can say at least the second there is 100% made up bullshit. Like not even "misunderstood", that's just someone making stuff up.

Well that's neat.

Unfortunate that the ending is apparently a loving mess, but at least it'll be a conversation for a while.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Well that's neat.

Unfortunate that the ending is apparently a loving mess, but at least it'll be a conversation for a while.

From what I've seen, it feels like the reason it's so messy is (this doesn't spoil the actual events, just how they're told) they try to position everything in Cloud's (extremely brain-damaged) point of view. So everything is very glitchy, there are hallucinations, things seem to happen and then they didn't really happen, things like that.

ImpAtom can obviously say if I've also misinterpreted what I've read, and I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that seems to be a major element of it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

From what I've seen, it feels like the reason it's so messy is (this doesn't spoil the actual events, just how they're told) they try to position everything in Cloud's (extremely brain-damaged) point of view. So everything is very glitchy, there are hallucinations, things seem to happen and then they didn't really happen, things like that.

ImpAtom can obviously say if I've also misinterpreted what I've read, and I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that seems to be a major element of it.

Yeah, if any of that is true, it definitely feels like the ending is nebulous at best and feels like a "What really happened here? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah honestly if everyone is waiting to see if Aeris lives or dies and your answer is Well she still dies but we aren't going to show it happen you better have some clever poo poo up your sleeve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I don't think the ending is nebulous. It's pretty clear about what happens despite some messy meta stuff. There's not really any ambiguity. It's messy but not in a way where anyone is going to be going "Gosh, I just don't know what happened" going into R3.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I, personally, am just so loving sick of multiple-timelines/multiverse poo poo.

If it is true in any way that there is Zack's Timeline 2 with a living Aerith, it just feels like the writers are trying to satisfy all sides of the Aerith lives/dies wanters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't really describe why I wanted to spoil this ending for myself in a way that sounds rational to other people, but I'm still kind of irritated by all the Whispers stuff at the end of Remake so I think it was helpful for me to be able to calibrate my expectations.

That said what I've read so far--the descriptions that haven't been debunked, at least--actually sounds pretty cool. I'm sure there are issues with the execution but I can see what they're going for and I think it might be pretty neat once the whole trilogy is said and done. I will take ImpAtom's advice not to spoil any of the character interactions and humor for myself, though.

Mordiceius posted:

If it is true in any way that there is Zack's Timeline 2 with a living Aerith, it just feels like the writers are trying to satisfy all sides of the Aerith lives/dies wanters.

From the non-debunked leaks I've seen, what's going on with Zack is still very ambiguous. Could be another timeline, could be something else. Rebirth doesn't really clarify one way or the other yet. Leakers seem to suggest that the "it's a secret sequel" stuff people speculated after Rebirth might not actually be the case and it's more along the lines of a reimagining than a metafictional sequel. Again, there's a shitload I won't know until the game's out so that could be wrong.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 23, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

For what it is worth that isn't true in any meaningful sense. Like you see in the trailers there's a comatose Aerith/Cloud thing going on but it doesn't go inthatdirection. I don't mind debunking stuff like that because I feel like there's nothing spoilery about saying Actually Roche Is Secretly Cid is wrong.

(Roche is secretly Vincent instead.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You easily can fit in Zack stuff is the life stream and Marlene is an ancient and it works with everything FF7 universe as we know it. But, again, what the gently caress did defeating the whispers (in Remake) actually do then?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, if the Zack stuff is Zack is in the lifestream and sometimes the lifestream and reality sometimes intersect/merge/mingle, then I am far far far less bothered by it. If it goes in the direction of there is an alternate timeline where Cloud died but Zack lived and he and Aerith lived happily ever after and also maybe the timelines will merge and everyone lives hurray! then I would like to get off the ride, please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i would wait to judge an ending until ive actually seen it in motion in any way whatsoever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The trick is that the ending isn't important, the real important plot is the deep and dramatic storyline of Queen's Blood.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

personally i would wait to judge an ending until ive actually seen it in motion in any way whatsoever.

You're not wrong! But what else are we supposed to do in the meantime? As for me, I'm going to :justpost:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One consistent thread between both Remake's multiverse bullshit and what has been rumored of Rebirth is that it's all very dumb and nonsensical and generally fits in with the sort of plot twists and meta-commentary that a teenager on fanfiction.net (or whatever the modern equivalent is) would think is super deep and profound.

I don't trust them to do anything particularly interesting or impactful with this plot (hence why I'm posting itt), but I'm sure the gameplay will be fun whenever the console exclusivity period ends and the honeymoon/breathlessness period is over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really willing to write the writers off with "gosh they are just dumb and have no idea what they are doing" when like... the vast majority of both games is so insanely on point in ways you can't just claim come from FF7 classic that I am pretty sure the writers know exactly what they are doing/want to do with the meta stuff. I may not like what they end up doing but it isn't them flailing wildly without a plan because the rest of the games have been incredibly meticulously crafted with a ton of care.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah before the ending details started to leak and they were being judged solely on the Nibelheim flashback they looked like god drat infallible geniuses. Which, still, the music is the mvp regardless of what happens with the story.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It was a bit of an incendiary way of putting it, fair, but I wouldn't go so far as to describe Remake as "insanely on point" beyond just playing up the fact that Cloud is a dork who is merely larping as a high speed low drag special forces operator versus the original game where it was a bit more implicit (and also not helped by a really bad translation). There are plenty of other ways in which I think they missed the mark in Remake. Cloud's characterization is better, Aerith's is in my opinion worse although closer to what she was pre-Compilation, Sephiroth idk what they're doing but they're using him very differently to how they used him in the original and they haven't really given me any reason to believe that they're going to do something interesting with him.

Anyway the original was not exactly some literary masterwork but it did at least have some pretty solid themes and a mostly coherent plot that didn't fall back on rear end-pull cliches like parallel universes (or resurrection, which the message of the story made a point of repudiating).

I'm not saying that they have no plan, I'm saying that their plan probably isn't very good based on all the obsession over having a Shocking Twist!!. Plot twists are to story telling what jump scares are to horror.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVIIR benefits from a lot of ancillary dialogue. It's something I've noticed in my ben billion runs of FFVII, how relatively spartan the interactions are in rounding off the characters and the party dynamic. Like, Cloud goes from "who cares the planet is dying" too cool for school soldier-man to pretty nice guy in about five minutes. He really drops the rear end in a top hat merc gimmick after Tifa's bar, honestly. It's pretty abrupt. FFVIIR had the money and format to expand on everyone massively.

I also don't particularly like VIIR but it did essentially give me what I always wanted in those FFVIIR replays, more interactions between the characters, so I'm not complaining.

Everyone here talking about parallel universes, and here I am just wondering what Barret's arc will be since AVALANCHE explicitly did not kill a bunch of civilians in this version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVIIR benefits from a lot of ancillary dialogue. It's something I've noticed in my ben billion runs of FFVII, how relatively spartan the interactions are in rounding off the characters and the party dynamic. Like, Cloud goes from "who cares the planet is dying" too cool for school soldier-man to pretty nice guy in about five minutes. He really drops the rear end in a top hat merc gimmick after Tifa's bar, honestly. It's pretty abrupt. FFVIIR had the money and format to expand on everyone massively.

I also don't particularly like VIIR but it did essentially give me what I always wanted in those FFVIIR replays, more interactions between the characters, so I'm not complaining.

Everyone here talking about parallel universes, and here I am just wondering what Barret's arc will be since AVALANCHE explicitly did not kill a bunch of civilians in this version.

AVALANCHE did kill a bunch of civilians in this version as far as they are concerned. At no point does Avalanche ever find out their bomb wasn't what caused the explosion to be as big as it was. None of them, Cloud included, know what happened and they all blame themselves explicitly for the damage. It's also a plot point that despite the damage they intend to keep bombing reactors.

There's nothing that happens in Remake that changes Barret's arc except maybe the audience realizing that Jessie didn't screw up the bomb. Barret's plot is still "We did a big explosion, it hurt/killed a lot of innocent people, and we're going to continue to do those big explosions."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 23, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

ike, Cloud goes from "who cares the planet is dying" too cool for school soldier-man to pretty nice guy in about five minutes. He really drops the rear end in a top hat merc gimmick after Tifa's bar, honestly. It's pretty abrupt.

i don't know that this is true. he's more invested in saving aeristh from the shinra building and afterwards his personal vendetta against sephiroth than he was AVALANCHE so when that becomes the focus he has a lot less reason to go "i don't care" all the time. I don't think that's an abrupt change in characterization. He's still notably a dick for large portion of the game, including my personal standout line "Listen, Yuffie, I don't care about the history of Wutai or your feelings".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

i don't know that this is true. he's more invested in saving aeristh from the shinra building and afterwards his personal vendetta against sephiroth than he was AVALANCHE so when that becomes the focus he has a lot less reason to go "i don't care" all the time. I don't think that's an abrupt change in characterization. He's still notably a dick for large portion of the game, including my personal standout line "Listen, Yuffie, I don't care about the history of Wutai or your feelings".

I mean, none of the party was feeling particularly sympathetic to Yuffie at that point. Same for most players, I imagine. She just robbed all of them - all of us - and this theoretically could have also gotten them killed. I never perceived this as being on par with how he treats Barret early on. He had pretty justifiable reasons to dismiss her after all she's done. (and will do since this was all still part of her ploy)

But you are right he does have a personal motive for the stuff after meeting Aerith, as well as he's the leader now so he can't very well "mouth off" to someone about his orders cuz he's the one giving the orders. Still, things like Fort Condor are an option for you to do. That's literally giving up money just to help protect some hippies and their birds Then you are saving a little girl from a monster and with CPR. I dunno, I just can't really remember any unjustifiably rude lines or actions from Cloud after the first couple hours.

Unless you count kicking that ball at Red XIII as hard as he could over and over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNK5zgyQLo4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cloud was a giant softy even in the original, though the Remake does make him more of one.

There's actually an in-game explanation for why he charges 2000 gil specifically despite that not exactly being a justifiable amount of money for becoming an eco-terrorist who bombs reactors.
It was the amount of money his mom scrounged up and saved to give to him when he left home.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't want to click these spoilers i just want to know if Wedge and Jessie survived so I know if I won $20 or not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I don't want to click these spoilers i just want to know if Wedge and Jessie survived so I know if I won $20 or not

Which one did you bet on?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, none of the party was feeling particularly sympathetic to Yuffie at that point. Same for most players, I imagine.

you can do the same quest with tifa in the lead and her version of the line is far less mean

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

you can do the same quest with tifa in the lead and her version of the line is far less mean

That's a great point. I assume you can do it as Cid as well? I haven't waited to do it that late in a long, long time.

EDIT:

quote:

Cloud
Listen, Yuffie. I don't care about the history of Wutai or your feelings.
You've got our materia and I want it back... now.
If you give it back now, we'll drop the whole thing.

Tifa
I'm sorry, Yuffie. I know how you feel, but we need materia too.
...We just can't let you have it. Please understand.

Cid
......Dammit, Yuffie. We ain't got time to be listening to your life story.
If you want materia, get it yourself. That's how you should do it.

This site is invaluable.

I've certainly never seen a lot of these reactions to getting Vincent:

quote:

Cloud, Tifa, or Cid
You were having a nightmare.

Barret
I woke ya up. Ya outta be thankin' me.

Aeris
You'll dream about bad things if you sleep in a place like THIS.

Tifa
How bad was your dream?

Nanaki
...You don't look good.

Yuffie
Man, you really WERE having a bad dream! Even I feel bad!

Cait Sith
Aren't you glad you woke up?

Cid
The air's pretty heavy here. How can you sleep in a place like this?

Vincent
Hmph... a nightmare...? My long sleep has given me time to atone.

Cloud
What are you saying?

Tifa
What's he talking about...?

Cid
What the hell are you saying?

[...]

Vincent
There was no way to cancel the experiment. I couldn't stop her. That was my sin. I let the one I loved, the one I respected most, face the worst.

Barret
That why you started sleepin' in a box? Gimme a break!

Aeris
So your punishment was to sleep? That's... kinda weird.

Tifa
So the punishment was sleep? That's weird.

Nanaki
So you slept as punishment? Isn't that strange? That thinking...

Yuffie
OK. Boring story no. 1.

Cait Sith
You think that's punishing yourself? You're just sleeping.

Cid
You shouldn't sleep just because of that. Sleep?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 24, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK, boring story #1

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gologle posted:

OK, boring story #1

thread title material

NotPerfect
Sep 29, 2021

Mordiceius posted:

Schrödinger's Aerith

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

For what it is worth that isn't true in any meaningful sense. Like you see in the trailers there's a comatose Aerith/Cloud thing going on but it doesn't go inthatdirection. I don't mind debunking stuff like that because I feel like there's nothing spoilery about saying Actually Roche Is Secretly Cid is wrong.

(Roche is secretly Vincent instead.

Is it safe to say that they don't do any dumb twists like killing off Tifa instead, or having Aerith survive at the last second?

edit: Here's some of the ending, according to a guy on reddit:

ENDING SPOILERS

As Cloud walks toward Aerith with the whispers of both sides attempting to prevent him, he's overtaken by the will of the Sephiroth and Jenova. He raises his blade above her head, and you do your best to control him, to stop him from slaying her, himself. All the while Sephiroth appears overhead, blade shining. As Cloud struggles against himself, Sephiroth dives down, and at the last second, Cloud releases and clashes his Buster Sword against Masamune, pushing Sephiroth away.

But alas, the blade of Masamune was too long, and Cloud's too slow. Sephiroth's bloodied sword is shown, and he flicks her blood off towards Cloud.

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 24, 2024

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ImpAtom posted:

Which one did you bet on?

I was betting they lived

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I was betting they lived

You're out $20.