Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

do you play as cid and vincent? I haven't seen any footage of how they play

No, not until part 3. This was mentioned in an interview a bit ago so it’s not really a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
im going to trash my cousin's ps5 in disgust

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm kind of surprised they're waiting until part 3 to let you have Cid. He feels like a natural addition to part two, all things considered.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You don't even go to Rocket Town in part 2.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Dave posted:

You don't even go to Rocket Town in part 2.

it covers the part of the original game where you went there

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They changed things up, you don’t go to Rocket Town nor do you fight Palmer there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

it covers the part of the original game where you went there

They changed it around.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Finally got some end boss screens:

Jenova Lifeclinger:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...22ae207abba126&

Sephiroth Reborn:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHMWQGAWUAAGlyU?format=jpg&name=large

Bahamut Arisen:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...249a0c6c65fc5e&

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Weird that they are all illiterate

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
OK ImpAtom, I can't stand it anymore, I held it in for as long as I could, I need to know: Is Yuffie still as overpowered as she was in her DLC, or did they nerf her?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

OK ImpAtom, I can't stand it anymore, I held it in for as long as I could, I need to know: Is Yuffie still as overpowered as she was in her DLC, or did they nerf her?

They buffed everyone else

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
God this game is going to loving own

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Windstorm is once again one of the best ways to just destroy groups of enemies (in de overworld and in combat challenges).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My go-to for that was Stardust Ray which just absolutely shits out a hilarious amount of damage and you get it literally at the start of the game.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

You're out $20.
Bummer.

How much bigger/longer is rebirth compared to remake?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 26, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Bummer.

How much bigger/longer is rebirth compared to remake?

I would say easily over double, assuming you're doing the side content.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
So where the spoilers at.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Aerith Dies

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

welcome posted:

So where the spoilers at.

The spoiler thread

edit: oh wait this is the spoiler thread lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyway if you want spoilers just go to Youtube and type in "FF7 rebirth ending." It's easy to find. There's also a compilation of all of Zack's scenes that I haven't watched because I know enough now that I'm just gonna play the game to find out the rest.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is like the last 2 hours of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHy6ypeOlTo

I'm just completely blown away by everything. The direction of the cutscenes is insane.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is the Forgotten Capital an actual dungeon or did they rush that part of the story? (I'm not clicking that link)

Spermando fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 28, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

Is the Forgotten Capital an actual dungeon or did they rush that part of the story? (I'm not clicking that link)

Edit: Misunderstood.

The Temple of the Ancients is the final dungeon. They cut out Bone Village so you go right from Temple to the Forgotten Capital.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funny thing about the hyper-focus on the ending is that the stuff I'm most curious to see people's response isn't anywhere as spoiled. Like Red XIII's voice.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

tbf I think the only thing most people want to know is Aeris' death

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Last question, since it's only 6 hours till midnight here. Is this bop in the game?
https://youtu.be/X7-0p76jirI?si=fw5ZXr7QDdY7CJv-

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It looks like we get an explanation of what's going on with the multiple realities/timeline stuff. As I understand the clip I saw:

There are multiple worlds that are all part of the Planet, essentially existing within the Planet itself (likely in the Lifestream?). They seem to represent possibility, but none of these alternate worlds last--they inevitably return to the Planet. It seems like Zack is in one of those alternate "possibilities."

The way it makes sense to me is like: you know how the Planet and the Lifestream contain memories? Well they have an imagination, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

It looks like we get an explanation of what's going on with the multiple realities/timeline stuff. As I understand the clip I saw:

There are multiple worlds that are all part of the Planet, essentially existing within the Planet itself (likely in the Lifestream?). They seem to represent possibility, but none of these alternate worlds last--they inevitably return to the Planet. It seems like Zack is in one of those alternate "possibilities."

The way it makes sense to me is like: you know how the Planet and the Lifestream contain memories? Well they have an imagination, too.

My understanding is that basically what happened is that when the party defeated the Whispers, they broke fate and created a bunch of faux-timelines that are all on the verge of collapse and gradually moving back towards being a single timeline. The events of the game are basically leading towards the one singular timeline overwhelming the others and Sephiroth was intending to take advantage of that in some nonsense way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 28, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that basically what happened is that when the party defeated the Whispers, they broke fate and created a bunch of faux-timelines that are all on the verge of collapse and gradually moving back towards being a single timeline. The events of the game are basically leading towards the one singular timeline overwhelming the others and Sephiroth was intending to take advantage of that in some nonsense way.

Ah, that could be, too. I interpreted Sephiroth's explanation as these possibilities appearing and winking out was a normal thing, but maybe you're right that this is a consequence of defeating the Whispers and Sephiroth taking control over them.

He does say something in the trailers about harvesting "spite and sorrow" so I imagine this is an elaboration on his plan in the original to absorb the Lifestream from a wound in the Planet after Meteor strikes. He's planning to absorb all those realities, all the pain and suffering and life that exists within them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Ah, that could be, too. I interpreted Sephiroth's explanation as these possibilities appearing and winking out was a normal thing, but maybe you're right that this is a consequence of defeating the Whispers and Sephiroth taking control over them.

He does say something in the trailers about harvesting "spite and sorrow" so I imagine this is an elaboration on his plan in the original to absorb the Lifestream from a wound in the Planet after Meteor strikes. He's planning to absorb all those realities, all the pain and suffering and life that exists within them.

As near as I can tell, and it's pretty muddled:

The Party defeated The Whispers, which caused a whole lot of stuff to gently caress up, but the main timeline was *mostly* unimpacted. There are however alternate timelines which are all unstable and seemingly just doomed worlds

Aerith's White Materia had all if its knowledge drained from it, leaving behind the Clear Materia and removing Aerith's foreknowledge. Aerith blames the Whispers and knowing what we do it seems like that might have been at Sephiroth's bidding. This means Aerith no longer has her weird flashes of future knowledge.

Because of all of this, the Planet is in crisis mode because Sephiroth somehow yanked control over a portion of the Whispers from it. This is why WEAPON is activated already because while everything is fine on the surface, Sephiroth and the Whispers are loving things up down below.

Somehow or another Aerith and Cloud end up in Zack's timeline, and unlike the main timeline Aerith there has the White Materia. Aerith sends it back with Cloud, who gives it to Aerith, completing the circle that brings the timeline back (mostly) on track.

Aerith's death is this pivotal moment and so both Sephiroth and the Planet's Whispers are doing everything they can to guide it to a certain point, which ends up guiding it roughly to where it was before, with neither Sephiroth nor the Planet able to really gain an edge. Sephiroth tries to use this moment to absorb the alternate timelines or something but gets punched in the face so hard he can't pull it off. By the end all the fuss ends up with things 95% on track, with Zack and the Clear Materia being the only real outliers at this point.

I'm sure I've got some stuff wrong here, but I feel like the end result is "We're back on track, the two sides fighting over fate have basically stalemated."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 28, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aha, y'know, I had wondered what the Clear Materia was about. I'm excited to finally play the game and get full context lol

Mostly I'm curious about the nature of the alternate realities. It sounds like they're something that exist within the Planet, rather than being true "separate timelines" or whatever, possibly in whatever possibility space the party was transported to for the final boss fight of Remake?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not 100% clear and I suspect like a lot of stuff will make sense on an emotional level more than a physical level.

FF7R is weird that way in that some of the stuff it introduces is sensible only on emotional levels and other stuff actually makes perfect 100% logical sense for the world building. Like the origin of the Black Materia and the Gi Tribe is incredibly reasonable worldbuilding that actually does a lot to make some weird stuff more coherent, and then the Whispers stuff is "it works because it feels like it should work."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If, like me, anyone else was super excited to see all the new weapon models, they're shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6npAEnLbZHM

Cloud's Counterstance weapon looks pretty sick

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

You're out $20.

Does someone take care of his cats? :ohdear:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

As near as I can tell, and it's pretty muddled:

I'm sure I've got some stuff wrong here, but I feel like the end result is "We're back on track, the two sides fighting over fate have basically stalemated."

What I don't get, is - if, by the end of this game, we're "back on track" with the main story..... why even add all of these convoluted elements in the first place? Was it so they could have people speculating "OH poo poo WILL THE STORY CHANGE?" because a response of "lol no. also we're just going to make things confusing" seems like the worst possible path to take?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

What I don't get, is - if, by the end of this game, we're "back on track" with the main story..... why even add all of these convoluted elements in the first place? Was it so they could have people speculating "OH poo poo WILL THE STORY CHANGE?" because a response of "lol no. also we're just going to make things confusing" seems like the worst possible path to take?

If I'm taking the creators' words at face value:

Basically, they wanted to add an extra mystery element to keep people hooked for a whole trilogy even if they know the story of the original. They've said a few times that we should expect the overall story to be the same, but with new elements and a new mystery, which seems to be the case in Rebirth.

I also think, going by ImpAtom's description, that all the "fate" stuff is still going to be relevant in that it's the reason these alternate realities in the Lifestream popped up at all. The actual overall events of the plot might not be changing much but there are a bunch of new elements that remain unresolved. Hard to say in what way since they're clearly saving the full resolution for part 3, of course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Because, if you don't go in reading all the spoilers, it adds a genuine sense of tension and dread to the ending of the game. They spend a lot of time making you wonder if things are going to change, concerned things are going to change, and there's a brief triumphant moment where it genuinely looks like things changed before the rug is pulled out from under you. Part of the problem with rushing in to read the spoiler about the ending is that you don't get that tension and buildup.

That's the really annoying thing about the ending focus, in that 'will she survive?' is something built up throughout the game and they do a really excellent job of making you wonder until the last second, so you lose out on the context from the rest of the game that makes it a worthwhile thing. "Will Aerith die" is pretty much the only way to approach the best known death in video game history in a way that isn't everyone just waiting for her to die, and the game does a good job of making you want her to survive and using the hints at her survival to add weight to what happens.

I'm sure people will still enjoy it but knowing what happens absolutely takes the bite out of the "Cloud protects her! ... oh, poo poo" moment which genuinely hit like a ton of bricks going into it blind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 28, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

(I feel like this is safe to unspoiler)

ImpAtom posted:

Part of the problem with rushing in to read the spoiler about the ending is that you don't get that tension and buildup.

Yeah and to be fair, the reason I read the spoilers in the first place is I didn't really want this particular tension and build-up. I had a pretty negative association with all the Whisper and fate stuff and just wanted the band-aid pulled off.

I've got one of those brains with super high levels of both curiosity and impatience. Add to that all the expectations I have based on my own love of the source material and I think not knowing (in broad strokes at least) where things were going would've actually lessened my enjoyment (purely on a personal level, this is absolutely just a me thing). Hard to say I guess.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I'm having a hard time agreeing with my own thoughts but right now I'm going with:

they wanted an out to not do a 1:1 remake, and wanted to lean on their expanded universe more -- which is turning into having a reason to include more Zack and Aerith.

It's not like Sephiroth won the OG and they need to figure out how to stop that from happening. They're still going to win. It seems like Advent Children and Dirge are still going to be the conclusions to the story. It's not a sequel, which is what I was bought into, but it's really a celebration of everything FF7 that has been done and they're using a remake of the original game as a way to anchor that.

You can turn and say well doing all the whisper stuff in Remake just to allow for fanservice moments is not my cup of god drat tea and you that would be a completely valid take if that's how this all turns out.

Now I could see how people feel they were robbed of the Aeris scene if she is going to end up dead anyway, but I personally find all the Cloud psychosis stuff to be a fresh take on how everything is being presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Although one thing I haven't done is watch a lot of videos. I'm trying not to watch videos on much other than gameplay right now because it's very different to read a description of something and see it actually play out. I'll actually see most of this for the first time when I actually play.