Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF7's combat could be fairly trivially won by hitting enemies with Attack (and things that modify attack), casting (element enemy is weak to) and healing when needed. You could make fun materia setups but you can still do that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OG FFVII is too easy, like most FF games. It doesn't mean you can't use strategy, you just don't have to. You gotta look to mods and hacks to bring out the more interesting aspects of the battle system, again just like pretty much every FF game.

Jetrauben posted:

It's nice. It helps reinforce the idea that the world's actually worth fighting for instead of that vaguely misanthropic 90s "maybe humanity is the virus" undertone.

I enjoyed finding Parasite Eve and how much it, FFVII, and Chrono Cross al had in common with this theme.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just cast Beta, imo.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I was watching somewhere do a comparison with LOST earlier on youtube, where the metaphysical elements was more a story framing device to increase the emotional impact than the point of the story by playing with your expectations, and I can somewhat agree. There was at least 4 seperate bits which made me tear up in the game, the bit where Aerith pushes Cloud through the portal in the Church as you see Sephiroth stride through the doors as you pass through, the beat when you realise that Cloud is the only one who can see Aerith and she has still died in the prime world, the moment Red XIII feels her presence next to a greiving Tifa (OMG) and the bit at the end where she says goodbye. I couldn't imagine that a straight up remake where you all know exactly what's going to happen would hit half as hard as hoping and semi-expecting this time the game was going to change and then pulling the rug out from you at the last second.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ImpAtom posted:

I assume they made the change because the mansion higher area is inherently going to be very small and confined which isn't really a good fit for the combat system. By changing it to focus on the lab below they were able to actually make more spread-out areas

The solution is to make the upstairs bigger and creepier.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They should have just thrown a mako infused Lisa Trevor in the mansion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

They should have just thrown a mako infused Lisa Trevor in the mansion.

Isn't that basically one of the side quests?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh poo poo it is.

Well uh throw another in there.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm not sure if this was always there and I only realised what it might mean after beating the game but the tear in the sky, or something shaped like it seems to be present in when I look up. I noticed it even I was going to the Temple of the Ancients, but it's in there too.

It feels... ominous. Like it's not fully realised but it's present.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I don't know if it's mentioned before, but the scene of Cloud and Aerith in the church before she pushes him through the portal is very subtely different depending on Aerith's affinity level. When asked "Oh, "Another" date?" Cloud either replies, 'I mean, why not?" in an avoidant passive way or "Yeah, next time!" in an happy assertive way depending on the affinity level (or who you went on a date on with, I'm not 100% sure). Aerith reacts in a way that suggest she understands the implication of the answer here, and it's the closest she's going to get to a confession from Cloud about his feelings, which finishes with the stinger of "At least how I know how you really feel..." Aerith (in that timeline at least) gets closure for her feelings for Cloud regardless of what the player has decided their canon relationship is just before she sacrifices herself, and I think that tiny little detail is quite cool.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Sorry Aerith, it's just not that serious between us. I'm sure you'll find someone nice.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
One thing that is clear to me after seeing most of the dates is that, while Cloud may be starting to develop feelings for Aerith, that boy has been down bad for Tifa since he was 8.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ZiegeDame posted:

One thing that is clear to me after seeing most of the dates is that, while Cloud may be starting to develop feelings for Aerith, that boy has been down bad for Tifa since he was 8.

Hell, same.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Cavelcade posted:

Hell, same.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cavelcade posted:

Hell, same.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cavelcade posted:

Hell, same.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm really confused about something: the game says there are different Gold Saucer dates in chapter 8, but there....aren't? When Cloud wakes up there's nobody at the door, and you go around alone and talk to different characters in each part of the saucer. I even used chapter select to go back and verify this is what happens. What am I missing?

I did every side quest and reloaded dialog choices if it sounded like I gave a bad answer. There's no way my relationships weren't high enough.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sindai posted:

I'm really confused about something: the game says there are different Gold Saucer dates in chapter 8, but there....aren't? When Cloud wakes up there's nobody at the door, and you go around alone and talk to different characters in each part of the saucer. I even used chapter select to go back and verify this is what happens. What am I missing?

I did every side quest and reloaded dialog choices if it sounded like I gave a bad answer. There's no way my relationships weren't high enough.

You come back to the gold Saucer a second time towards the end of the game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah the first time the ferris wheel breaks down so Cloud and his partner are turned away. Later on in the story the gang comes back to the saucer a second time, and that's when the date happens in earnest.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
There's the walk through you dowith someone the first time through, with their character theme remixed in lounge music style. At least you can with Tifa, and I assume with the other non canon partners as well.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Beginning to think the ending was more Aerith trying to keep Cloud's mind at ease, hoping he holds it together for a while longer. The scene in the church she says no matter what happens don't blame yourself. The "hallucination" of him blocking Sephs attack (though to be clear this is really a non-issue as Seph's sword is very long, and even with the block it could've easily penetrated her), and her "waking up" when he asks might all be her doing in an attempt to keep him from totally disintegrating mentally.

But there's also weirdness with the later dialogue. Cloud: "You going to be okay getting back?" Aerith: "Don't worry. It's like a second home."

Like, if this is Aerith force ghosting, it means Cloud may rightfully be viewing the physical reality of her death as fairly inconsequential. Red 13 recognizing her presence kind of indicates this is the case. But then why wouldn't he be telling others he's seeing a force ghost with the understanding she did physically die and the others are sad about it? Maybe he thinks she's Obi-Wan'ed into a force ghost? And in this case it seems obvious that "getting back" would be her returning to her dreamspace/lifestream thing.

BUT if she's Clouds hallucination and he thinks she's physically alive, where would she be "getting back" to? Should we just assume there was a pretend conversation in which she explains she needs to keep hanging out at the Forgotten Capital or something, and keep praying? And nobody says bye to her except him? Her dialogue/actions during that end scene feel too personal and realistic for it to be product of Clouds broken brain.

Shall remain confused, and hesitant that this will get resolved in a non-handwavey kind of way. The key is how the gently caress Cloud is perceiving this.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 19, 2024

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm fairly confident that the Aerith in the final scene is at least as alive as Zack. Not that that's saying much.

Honestly I think it works better if Cloud really seeing something real, but even if he could explain with perfect lucidity what it is he's seeing he'd still sound completely bugfuck to the rest of the party. It's a nice mirror to the Nibelheim flashback: Tifa thinks Cloud is nuts because the story he tells did happen but Cloud was no there and shouldn't know about it, but Tifa is also wrong because Cloud was there and knows the story from his personal memory, he just has a few crucial details way off. Cloud knows/sees more than the others think he should, and that knowledge just makes him seem even crazier than he already is.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It doesn't make much sense at all to be a Cloud hallucination if Red can also tell she's there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cloud's definitely seeing something "real" at the end--Red sensing Aerith as well pretty much confirms that.

My read is that, whether Aerith is dead or "alive in another timeline," she's aware of what's going on in the ending and definitely trying to sorta manage Cloud's reaction to everything. Whenever Cloud can't see her face, you can see how sad she looks, but she puts on a brave face before she turns to face him.

I would also agree that Aerith is the same category of "alive" as Zack is, and probably Biggs, though I have no idea what that actually means for any of them. I'm just pretty sure they're in the same state of being now, whatever that state of being is. Dead and floating around lifestream dream worlds? Alive but whisked out of the prime timeline? Who knows!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Notably, Red appears to react to Aerith in the same way that Aerith reacted to Zack at the end of Remake. A vague idea that they were in the same space in different timelines (or whatever the hell is going on if it's not timelines), so yeah seems likely they're in a similar position.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I was mostly settled on the conclusion that this worlds Aeirth is dead and impossible to bring back, until I reflected one line that was bugging me. After the team up with Zack, when Sepiroth splits the worlds up mid battle, Zack's last instruction to Cloud before they're seperated is "Cloud! Save her", which obviously all takes place after Prime Aerith is stabbed by Sephiroth. Why would he tell the cloud (and the player) to save her after the event of the death, if she was already unsaveable?

It'd be weird to put it in at situation where Aerith's fate is already decided.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
At this point I'm rooting for a batshit timeloop where Cloud goes back in time and deflects Sephiroth's sword the second time around. I doubt it's happening but it'd be hilarious if somehow that's what the 7 seconds thing from the first game ultimately refers to. Would help explain part of what's up with Cloud and why he's so chill about it all if he saw both events at once and knows he'll get the second chance. And the weird quantum dead-not-dead state of Aerith at the end.

Not expecting it, but I'd be pretty okay with it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think Cloud is just beginning to believe

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weasling Weasel posted:

Zack's last instruction to Cloud before they're seperated is "Cloud! Save her", which obviously all takes place after Prime Aerith is stabbed by Sephiroth. Why would he tell the cloud (and the player) to save her after the event of the death, if she was already unsaveable?

The last time Zack saw Aerith she was comatose in bed, I have no reason to believe he’s aware of anything else that could have happened to her. Before the void Zack was stressing over who to save of the three.

My take on that scene was another sign of Zack’s selflessness and being a good person, while putting more shine on what’s really important.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So they've mentioned that two things studied for the plot are the Buddhist Yogachara and Jung's Collective Unconciousness. But if we're on Buddhism, perhaps an answer for what's going on is the Samsara, the cycle of death and rebirth... oh hey. So: This as of Dirge of Cerberus, is how we know the Lifestream works.

Life is born from the planet, dies returning to the planet, is reborn again and again until the world's end, where Chaos takes in the Lifestream and leaves to seed another planet, beginning the cycle once more.

Complication: Jenova, and by extension, Sephiroth, cannot enter the cycle of Death and Rebirth, they are not "Of" the planet, same as the Gi. So, OG FF7 plays out, life, death, Chaos, the Cycle of Rebirth plays out. Cycle 2 begins, except, Sephiroth is still around because he can't enter the Lifestream, which also means that as a part of Jenova, Sephiroth shares his memories with all other parts of Jenova. So what if Sephiroth isn't from the future... he's from the past... he just came the long way around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean just from this game doesn't Bugenhagen give a whole spiel about the eternal recurrence of the lifestream?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think Aeris's are like dogs in that they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gologle posted:

I think Aeris's are like dogs in that they just sort of do things arbitrarily

They can't look up, that's why Sephiroth keeps getting them from above.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

So they've mentioned that two things studied for the plot are the Buddhist Yogachara and Jung's Collective Unconciousness. But if we're on Buddhism, perhaps an answer for what's going on is the Samsara, the cycle of death and rebirth... oh hey. So: This as of Dirge of Cerberus, is how we know the Lifestream works.

Life is born from the planet, dies returning to the planet, is reborn again and again until the world's end, where Chaos takes in the Lifestream and leaves to seed another planet, beginning the cycle once more.

Complication: Jenova, and by extension, Sephiroth, cannot enter the cycle of Death and Rebirth, they are not "Of" the planet, same as the Gi. So, OG FF7 plays out, life, death, Chaos, the Cycle of Rebirth plays out. Cycle 2 begins, except, Sephiroth is still around because he can't enter the Lifestream, which also means that as a part of Jenova, Sephiroth shares his memories with all other parts of Jenova. So what if Sephiroth isn't from the future... he's from the past... he just came the long way around.

This would be kind of rad actually

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Weasling Weasel posted:

I was mostly settled on the conclusion that this worlds Aeirth is dead and impossible to bring back, until I reflected one line that was bugging me. After the team up with Zack, when Sepiroth splits the worlds up mid battle, Zack's last instruction to Cloud before they're seperated is "Cloud! Save her", which obviously all takes place after Prime Aerith is stabbed by Sephiroth. Why would he tell the cloud (and the player) to save her after the event of the death, if she was already unsaveable?

It'd be weird to put it in at situation where Aerith's fate is already decided.

Zack at this point knows something crazy is going on, that for some reason other people know Cloud as a capable fighter even though he only just blew into town with him, and that he knows Aerith and seems to have some kind of a relationship with her. I think he does say that to Cloud meaning to save Aerith, and the main point of it is to add to the player's tension regarding whether they'll go through with having Aerith appear dead at the end

now as for Part 3, I think it's possible they introduce to the narrative a way through which she can be brought back. I think it's also possible that they keep Cloud and Tifa separated from Zack and Aerith so they have neat little pairs, but then, I feel like they'd have had her talk more about him or have her interact with him in the ending sequence

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Zack at this point knows something crazy is going on, that for some reason other people know Cloud as a capable fighter even though he only just blew into town with him, and that he knows Aerith and seems to have some kind of a relationship with her. I think he does say that to Cloud meaning to save Aerith, and the main point of it is to add to the player's tension regarding whether they'll go through with having Aerith appear dead at the end

now as for Part 3, I think it's possible they introduce to the narrative a way through which she can be brought back. I think it's also possible that they keep Cloud and Tifa separated from Zack and Aerith so they have neat little pairs, but then, I feel like they'd have had her talk more about him or have her interact with him in the ending sequence

Given that Tifa had some of her memories restored during her dip in the lifestream, memories that she was supposed to recall during the course of putting Cloud's mind back together and were basically the key to her realizing what the gently caress was going on with him and 5 years ago at Nibelheim. They'll instead have some new key point for putting Cloud back together and Aerith, and maybe Zack too, will be there to help Tifa out. Hell, the way square has been handling things, I half expect the three of them to team up and literally beat the poo poo out of Cloud's bad memories that may or may not take the form of those stupid dishrags.

Also, I just like Zack's line after he gets separated from Cloud, "What the hell is going on?!" just speaking for the audience right there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Zack has a relationship with Aerith because he dated her until he was kidnapped by Hojo. That was true of FF7

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Zack has a relationship with Aerith because he dated her until he was kidnapped by Hojo. That was true of FF7

yeah, buddy. I'm talking about in Rebirth, the one the next game will be in direct conversation with.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Like I guess I sort of know what the big rip in the sky is but also i am looking forward to finding out more about the big rip in the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't really know anything about Zack except he's the real cloud and I'm fine with that