Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
SO glad I got the Rufus-Glenn check in after seeing the fates torn asunder and Cloud return to his waking delusions as they try to save the world. This moronic cellphone game plot really is the capper this story deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
what I thought was missing was more talk about the Huge Materia

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Also the One Winged Angel (pure style) rendition that plays during the Aeris & Cloud vs Sephy fight needed to linger on the opening bars more, yes the part everyone's heard a million times. I'm not dumb enough to think I'm qualified to tell the people who did the music how to do their job, but give me more of that part please. The game's about to be over and I needed it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
loving Sephiroth

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I was just thinking back through this game, and was about to make a post whining about how they didn't go visit the baby bird's nest in Mt Corel, and then I remembered the amazing loving baby bird pal you get and have at least one sidequest with. This game, man.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
And chime in with funny ghost responses to Tifa and Cloud where appropriate please

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't know if it's an intended development or not, but I liked when I met Regina back in Gongaga after beating the QB gods, she's not even an upgraded top rank opponent like everyone else, she's just a level 7 and her responses around the game are all super chill and eager.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

ImpAtom posted:

My guess with Vincent is that he's going to function kind of like Red XIII. You build up a meter with his regular attacks and then can spend it to go into one of his forms, each of which fills a specific combat niche. His Limit Breaks will depend on the form he is in, except maybe Chaos which I could see being a Limit Break transformation (ala how Red XIII can get super vengence mode from Howling Moon.)

Cid I expect to have a mechanic where he has a Jump-style mechanic by default on his Triangle but it powers up as he does other stuff. (Boost -> Hyper -> Dragon Dive.) The rest of his kit I think they'll flesh out with mechanist/gadget stuff.

*chuckles* You thought Regina was the only Queen of Queen's Blood? For her region, maybe. And you have overlooked the Emperor of Queen's Blood.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm envisioning a real cooldown, back to basics type chapter after Cloud goes into crazyland and that's when you get Cid and Vincent activated into full time combat party mode, and there's a little introductory adventure while Cloud is still on ice. Maybe just stick Cid and Vincent together in a pair to go run some errands and we'll get some buddy comedy poo poo.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I liked this interpretation (or this attempt at an interpretation): https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/15561-explaining-analysing-what-happens-in-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-ending

Note I do not think about this stuff that closely, but I was convinced that this could work and might make me happy. I think something significant needs to reflect the theme of defying/being stuck to one's fate, other than Sephiroth getting a second crack at his evil scheme.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
what if it's all Jenova doing this stuff

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I loved it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
After you beat him in sit-ups, yeah

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

ImpAtom posted:

Golden Chocobos
KotR

These drat well better show up. In FF7 remake fashion though, they should have rocket jets strapped to them or something. Both golden chocobos and the KOTR.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Oh, and we're fighting bio-engineered Roche after Hojo glared at him from the helicopter, right? That's the implication?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

TK-42-1 posted:

I was kind of sad they didn't put the legless guy swinging on an axe in the mansion.

He was one of my favorites too. We did get an epic Demon Gate though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Fedule posted:

Big post

That's a good post, and I largely agree, even though I ended up feeling quite good about the ending (after starting off emotionally drained and fulfilled, then moving into scrutiny and being a little underwhelmed, and now I'm back in and convinced they'll make it work). But for how long you spend in each zone, and the stupid Chadley paradigm all the side content is placed into contributes to this, you don't really dwell anywhere or set out to accomplish a whole lot on anyone's account. Yes there's the Gi haunting you solve (did it need solving or was this just an excuse for the Nanaki story arc?), the voyage to Costa del sol had reasons behind it, other stuff you drop by to do for a brief time in other places, but they're all very mercenary actions that get you paid and then you've moved on. Just like in the OG, the mission you're on is pretty misguided, due to Cloud's wonky brain (even if Fate means all your choices end up with you beating sephiroth), but they probably could have made the journey and all its decision points seem a little more gripping and vitally important. It'd have to be a bit of a makeover of the original story, but they could have done it.

And I loving love this game's road trip hangout nature; the FF7 world map deserved all the gloss and humor and kitchiness this game gave it; the characters, like you said, were always on point whether they were saying they meant, or withholding something, or deluded or confused, all that worked so well. But the connective tissue of the journey does feel a little wispy and hollow. The parts that felt like a looming calamity worked like hell for me though, and every time Cloud went haywire and the ghosts started swirling and Tifa started having traumatic flashbacks, I was eating it up. Give me more of that and I don't need to think about why everyone's happy to run around Corel for 4 weeks collecting cactuar poo poo.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sorry Aerith, it's just not that serious between us. I'm sure you'll find someone nice.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There's the walk through you dowith someone the first time through, with their character theme remixed in lounge music style. At least you can with Tifa, and I assume with the other non canon partners as well.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There's a reason he was barely a character in the OG game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
In the same way as the "sephiroth" we encountered in the original wasn't human and was jenova/possessed black cloaks/mind spectres, or in a different way?