Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

I'm going to go ahead and put my big picture prediction here so that everyone can quote it and laugh at me when it's proven wrong (either in Rebirth or part 3):

Regarding this - from what I've seen/read about Rebirth, it doesn't work.

REBIRTH ENDING SPOILERS - Aerith dies but it happens off screen. They're in the Temple of the Ancients and Aerith is there and then from Cloud's point of view everything glitches out as he has a mental break moment and then when he comes to, Aerith is dead on the ground. We never see Sephiroth kill her. (Maybe they'll twist it in FF7R3 that Cloud killed her? idk. seems dumb).

The final boss is Bizzaro Sephiroth.

The final battle involves Zach and Aerith from an alternate Zach timeline (timeline 2). Sephiroth (or maybe Jenova?) wants to merge these two timelines. In timeline 2, majority of party from timeline 1 is dead.

Then, in Cloud's grief and anger, he picks up the holy materia but corrupts it before placing it in his sword. Then credits roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

A vast majority of what you posted is inaccurate.

Like I'm not going to spoil the ending of the game but if that is the leak that is going around then it's pretty bluntly like at best a telephone game of a telephone game of someone who ripped a cutscene.

Yeah, I'm only going off what I've gathered online. So maybe it is wildly inaccurate.

According to Tamoor from Gamespot, the ending is a loving mess.

Gamespot Review posted:

There is one specific moment that has been the subject of will-they-won't-they speculation for years, and how it resolves manages to be confusing to the point of being incomprehensible. For the original Final Fantasy 7, it became an iconic moment crystalized in the minds of millions by its emotionally devastating impact--and for many, it changed the way they thought about video game characters. In Rebirth, it is bewildering and undermines multiple characters, diminishing and obfuscating qualities that define who they are, the decisions they make, and their motivations for doing so, while also being unclear about what is actually happening. Aerith, in particular, is robbed of a moment that is so crucial to her character by the messy delivery; the message is lost among narrative noise that wasn't there before and it's so uncharacteristic of a game that otherwise is sharp in how it presents its characters. In my case, there was also an instance where the way the story unfolded and a character behaved contradicted how the actions I had taken up until that point dictated it should have played out. Of course, all of this is open to interpretation and perhaps some will find meaning where I couldn't, but having to untangle a story in a desperate bid to make sense of it isn't what I wanted to be doing when the journey was complete.

For the record, this was one of the main ending "spoilers" I saw:

quote:

Aerith 1 from reality 1 aka the reality we currently play in does die.

Aerith 2 the one you save when you play as Zack aka Zack 2 are from reality 2. You also see Aerith 2 in bed next to Zack in one of the older trailers about a month or two ago.

Red, Tifa, Barret, and a few others died in reality 2 as you probably all already saw in one of the older trailers.

There would be a great merging event later called the Great Merge or something like that will fuse reality 1 with reality 2 and they'll fight Bizzaro Sephiroth.

Biggs has some dark secrets, reality 2 Biggs that is.

One of the Jenova from one of the realities is trying to use the lifestream to attack other realities and absorbing more of her own parts from other realities. Thankfully she isn't in reality 1 yet but the merged reality between 1 and 2 at the end is in danger. So part 3 is most likely going to be us working with reality 2's survivors to prepare for this.

One of the Sephiroths in one of the realities is still good but will he stay good later, nobody knows yet.

There might actually still be living Ancient Cetras hidding out there. Rebirth side quests hints to this. My guess is they will come aid us against Jenova kinda like Fusoya from FFIV.

There are more WEAPON out there but in names only so I'm guessing you fight them in Part 3 or some of them are neutral. Some of the new ones are named Amethyst WEAPON, Agate WEAPON, Aquamarine WEAPON, Opal WEAPON. Garnet WEAPON.

Roche does not die in Rebirth and he'll get a new bike.

Genesis does not appear in Rebirth but there are hints of him so I think he'll be in for part 3.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

So I can say at least the second there is 100% made up bullshit. Like not even "misunderstood", that's just someone making stuff up.

Well that's neat.

Unfortunate that the ending is apparently a loving mess, but at least it'll be a conversation for a while.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

From what I've seen, it feels like the reason it's so messy is (this doesn't spoil the actual events, just how they're told) they try to position everything in Cloud's (extremely brain-damaged) point of view. So everything is very glitchy, there are hallucinations, things seem to happen and then they didn't really happen, things like that.

ImpAtom can obviously say if I've also misinterpreted what I've read, and I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that seems to be a major element of it.

Yeah, if any of that is true, it definitely feels like the ending is nebulous at best and feels like a "What really happened here? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I, personally, am just so loving sick of multiple-timelines/multiverse poo poo.

If it is true in any way that there is Zack's Timeline 2 with a living Aerith, it just feels like the writers are trying to satisfy all sides of the Aerith lives/dies wanters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, if the Zack stuff is Zack is in the lifestream and sometimes the lifestream and reality sometimes intersect/merge/mingle, then I am far far far less bothered by it. If it goes in the direction of there is an alternate timeline where Cloud died but Zack lived and he and Aerith lived happily ever after and also maybe the timelines will merge and everyone lives hurray! then I would like to get off the ride, please.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

personally i would wait to judge an ending until ive actually seen it in motion in any way whatsoever.

You're not wrong! But what else are we supposed to do in the meantime? As for me, I'm going to :justpost:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

As near as I can tell, and it's pretty muddled:

I'm sure I've got some stuff wrong here, but I feel like the end result is "We're back on track, the two sides fighting over fate have basically stalemated."

What I don't get, is - if, by the end of this game, we're "back on track" with the main story..... why even add all of these convoluted elements in the first place? Was it so they could have people speculating "OH poo poo WILL THE STORY CHANGE?" because a response of "lol no. also we're just going to make things confusing" seems like the worst possible path to take?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Without talking to any specific plot point, I think where my disconnect comes in is that I don't understand the logic behind adding mystery to the core plot if the results are the same. Maybe I am just lacking in a creative mind or something.

I totally get putting in work to expand and give more depth to characters, locations, scenes, and story beats. That, to me, is the exciting part of these games. The PS1, while technologically leaps and bounds beyond the SNES, is incredibly limited by today's standards. So a remake to give parts of the game more time to breath and give more color and flavor feels loving cool.

IDK. Maybe I'm just old man yelling at Clouds. (hah!) In the end, I guess these are a lot of the same complaints I had with Remake. I like the depth added to the story, but every time they add the "mystery," my eyes just glaze over.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The easiest way I can describe it is:

Yeah, that's all absolutely fair. I don't disagree with you. I guess, for me, I feel like if you're going to add that mystery and tension, then you need to stick the landing. I don't like the ending to Remake. From the stuff I watched, I don't really like the ending to Rebirth either.

The first 95% - mostly cool, good, neat. Like it. The last 5% - lame. I don't like it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Someone pretending to be something they're not?! Heh. Would never happen in FF7.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly I'm pretty sure that boils down entirely to "ratings boards freak out about smoking and there is a good chance including that would have bumped the game to M."

It's funny. I was curious and looked at ESRB ratings and descriptions of the RGG games in comparison and they all talk about the violence and sexual content. Never a peep about smoking. (I wasn't trying to disprove you. I just think it's amusing that the series with chainsmokers doesn't get a mention in the ratings)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh absolutely. Even knowing it was coming I'm still really sad that she's gone.

Well, "gone." I think it's obvious she will have screen time in part 3 but probably a lot less screen time so her presence will still be missed (and her presence within the party dynamic will definitely be missed)

I really hope that she has a minimal presence in FF7R3. There are definitely ways to use her effectively by having her appear sometimes but not a ton.

Personally, I think it will loving suck if she has a ton of loving screen time and/or the game ends with her alive or some poo poo like that. Make consequences that stick and make us actually miss her!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm very curious to go through these games with my wife sometime this year. She's not very online and she doesn't know that Aerith dies (I have no idea how someone can play video games and not know that). A couple years ago, she played a few hours of og FF7 (she just got to the end of Midgar) before getting bored with it. She really liked Aerith too. lol

Being that she has no knowledge of FF7 and the expanded FF7 video game universe, I'll be curious to see if she finds the game hard to follow or confusing at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think my fiancee doesn't mind the padding for the same reason I don't: it's fun to spend more time with the characters. But then again we've also played through multiple Persona games together so we've dealt with much worse pacing before lol

Also see: any RGG game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yuuuup

We also did Yakuzas 0 and 7 together so yeah, wild pacing is just what we're used to in our story games.

I haven't played Infinite Wealth yet but I'm stoked to get to it once I'm done with everything I wanna do in Rebirth

IW is, for better or worse, one of the most fun games with one of the most messy stories.

Not quite rubber bullet level, but it ain’t great!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

lol wrong thread

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 16, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still of the feeling that I think these games would be better if they just expanded the original story instead of adding Whispers and potential multiple timeline bullshit.

Aerith's death still would have been impactful! There are plenty of people who never played the original game and for those who have, you've spent more time with her and so that pain is still there!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Caidin posted:

Potions are just an energy drink now so I like to imagine Cloud slicing of the tops off a six pack of Monster and just slinging it around at the party

Always have been.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Rhonne posted:

You think Cloud's sword will get any cool powers from sticking the Black Materia into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like you can leave mysteries open for a part 3 while still having part 2 end in a way that allows you to understand what is going on. I know many in this thread have no problem with the ending, but it feels like a very large number of people come in with "I just finished Rebirth. I'm confused."

imo - Mysteries are good. Confusion is not.

I feel like this is a problem with breaking one story into three parts.