Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
When the second demon gate appeared and started making the room smaller even faster, oh my god I panicked pretty bad

That was one of my favorite moments of my Rebirth playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Four Sephiroths on the edge of a cliff

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I always thought the real Sephiroth actually died the day he burned down Nibelheim, with Jenova taking his form on for the rest of the time. Even the remake/rebirth games made it clear that Jenova took on the forms of the dead. When 'Glenn' showed up before Rufus it was Jenova masquerading as Sephiroth. It's like an onion

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

chandler55 posted:

i dont think ive seen anyone love the ending. maybe like..but most dislike. tough, tough tough tough . they really blew it. but the rest of the game was solid

You can speak only for yourself. I have yet to see any universal dislike of the ending, only anticipation for what happens next part 3.
Are these 'most dislike' in the room with us?

My only criticism of the ending is the lack of this scene for the corresponding world/timeline

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Augus posted:

I imagine the Cloud/Tifa stuff is probably gonna reach a boiling point at the first north crater visit.

It's pretty much almost guaranteed to be a reprisal of Mideel from the OG.

There's a lot the modern remake trilogy has yet to address, like Mideel, Wutai, Rocket Town, the snowy northern region, the hunt for the giant materia, weapons actively getting involved on the surface, a whole lot basically. Lots of new locations. Part 3 is gonna be pretty big, way beyond 'more quests on the existing world map' imo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Also we get the highwind to fly around in.

A submarine too!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Squall died at the parade

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I felt the same way. I think they decided not to do it in the end because you can't really get away with doing paid actors unless the village was completely cut off from the world in which case you wouldn't need actors anyway. The illusion wouldn't even last a day. Imagine if friends and family of the village from elsewhere in the world decided to visit by.

It becoming a "mako poisoning treatment village" after Shinra telling the world that it burned down because of said mako poisoning gave them cover and was the least bad option, that's how I saw it. Plus it was a way for Shinra to control and keep an eye on all the black robes easily. If one fell off a cliff or got kidnapped, no problem, we can pick up another one from the clinic. It's macabre and very Shinra

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's a good question, perhaps they wanted to downplay the severity of what happened

Also I might be misremembering this but did anyone else notice the halls in temple of the ancients were called 'remake' 'rebirth' and then 'resurrection'

So maybe the third part won't be 'reunion' after all like a lot of people were assuming, but 'resurrection'?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is a very Tifa thing to do regardless of anything tbf.

Poor Tifa has been gaslit from the very start. Cloud is confidently telling the entire party what went down in Nibelheim and the entire premise of the party's journey is based on falsehoods, which she still can't deny because much of it is grounded in truth, and because Cloud is mentally unstable and prone to bouts of extreme violence. I'm not surprised her mental state is super fragile.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’d be wild if they just didn’t do anything with Zangan since they went and got mr. Kamen Rider himself, Hiroshi Fujioka, to voice him in Japanese.

Perhaps that's exactly why zangan has few appearances, they did a kojima and paid for an expensive actor

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Clarste posted:

Speaking of which, in the journals it sounded like Gast named it Jenova, but then in the Temple of the Ancients the Cetra already call it Jenova. Maybe I missed something, but that struck me as a little odd.

I think that's either a legit continuity error by the devs, or perhaps Jenova convinced them via exposure what its name is.
The scene with Sephiroth in the Shinra manor basement also has him reading diary entries about how Shinra explicitly gave it the name Jenova.
I'm sort of leaning towards exposure of Jenova resulting in everybody just knowing what its name is. The Cetra and Shinra thought they chose that name for it, but really never had a choice.

"we called it Jenova" thousands of years apart by two entirely separate groups unknown to each other certainly has an ominous feel to it

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 1, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Always have one ATB banked just so you can react

You can also use item economizer materia which gives you a free item usage and is very useful for oh-poo poo moments

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Advent Children

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Bro it's literally a cat person for the main character in ix

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The dog is nanakis new wife post credits

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Don't forget the forest where you find the Apocalypse weapon for Cloud, and all the miscallaneous islands and caves on the world map etc.
Part 3 could be absolutely huge. If Square puts in the effort they did for Rebirth, it will be an absolutely colossal game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There's something odd between Nanaki and Aerith ever since the beginning of their escape from the Shinra hq in Remake.
Nanaki admits this if you manage to get a date with him on the gold saucer. Nanaki tells Cloud he felt he and Aerith 'could see the future' but could not anymore, and that Aerith is in danger. There's multiple scenes of Nanaki hearing conversations Aerith is having even though she is by herself. The whole thing is very strange

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Just Andi Now posted:

Those are, ah, scenes of Nanaki talking to Aerith.

You sure? Isn't there a bit in Johnny's hotel where Nanaki is waking up to Aerith talking to somebody in the shower

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 7, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You should be doing that anyway since backline party gets 100% exp and ap as well. That's an awful lot of materia not being leveled if you're not gearing everyone up

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Don't sleep on the boatload of grenades you pick up around the world, it's great crowd control and knocks enemies flat on their backs
If you use item master/economizer with grenades you're in for a jolly good time

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

She can also fire off an entire assault rifle magazine from the hip and control the recoil fully, yet also almost completely miss her target.
A woman of many talents

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think Aerith is bigger than 'alive or dead' now, a bit like in the original where she is the last thing you see before the credits roll.
It's like the white materia itself, there is only one but it transcends realms and multiverses and is having a clear effect.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

She's 16 in the OG so I'm pretty sure that's the same in rebirth isn't it

It's still extremely young and creepy for sure

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Cloud was the same age as Yuffie when he killed Sephiroth.

Yeah, he's 21 in current day OG/Remake/Rebirth, Nibelheim was 5 years prior where he dunked Sephiroth into the lifestream.

Fun fact for you: in the OG, during the Nibelheim incident Cloud had just 1 materia equipped: pre-emptive strike. It rarely kicked in except for when it mattered most.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cloud struck first

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

He pretty much states outright that he is 'security' for the basement, in Rebirth. In the OG it's been a while but I think he stays there out of shame, since Lucrecia went with Hojo over him. I have a hunch that is the case in Rebirth's universe too and he's too ashamed to admit the truth, for now. A lot of people with a lot of pent-up histories in FF7

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Arkage posted:

Reading a thread about sales figures being significantly below Remake. Thread filled with people saying Square somehow screwed up badly with Remake and that's why people aren't buying Rebirth.

Not sure in what universe a 87/89 metacritic game is Square making a mistake.

The game itself is fine and it'll have very very long legs. It's just that two things naturally & organically hobble sales: it's a direct sequel so you need to own or play the previous game to completion, and it's only on 1 platform, which has a much less installed base than Remake did with PS4 at the time of its release. It's not a surprise at all that it's below Remake.

Once it releases on PC it'll get a huge boost once more, plus the inevitable PS6 version and of course the pack-in version with part 3 or the trilogy as a whole.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The huge development costs and time spent on it is also why I'm finding the platform exclusivity baffling. Sony must have paid Square a huge amount for them to consider it viable.

edit: and it's funny because they probably didn't even need to. Almost literally nobody is buying xboxes anywhere.
The only other viable platform is PC and that's not exactly something Sony is competing with

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 15, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The white whispers aren't on your side, they are on original-continuity side, so that means Aerith has to die. It's why Barret dies in Remake but is immediately revived, and why Wedge is pushed off Shinra HQ after surviving the fall of sector 7.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think they were still neutral arbiters of fate, but in rebirth they are white to help distinguish from Sephiroth's whispers

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You got a problem with 'HA~HA~HA~' ?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sefal posted:

As much as i would want an FFIX remake. I think a game like FF8 would need it more. If they treat it as well as they are doing the ff7 remake trilogy. It has a lot of potential for stuff to be expanded on and come across better in a remake.

I think the same way too. I feel that IX leans into the PS1 aesthetic deliberately, compared to the way that VIII tried to overcome the limitations of the hardware.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah the first time the ferris wheel breaks down so Cloud and his partner are turned away. Later on in the story the gang comes back to the saucer a second time, and that's when the date happens in earnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It refers to Safer Sephiroth's one winged arm. I agree it's weirdly over-focused and a bit over-done in all the spin-off media but it is what it is now.

BisbyWorl posted:

What is the play for dealing with Heartless Angel my winning run only worked out because he never used the loving thing.

Generally you want to bank one ATB all the time. Consider it a 'reactive' ATB point. It's no good having to spam basic attacks in a panic because you can't heal yourself. That's how game overs happen.