Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Reunion is specifically the event of drawing all Jenova cells back together. In the original, Cloud thought he was chasing after Sephiroth to stop him, but he was subconsciously being drawn by Reunion as well. Speculatively, Sephiroth, who has a grudge against Cloud because of the events at Nibelheim, used this opportunity to retrieve the Black Materia via Cloud as well. IIRC, Reunion talk basically stops after the party leaves the Northern Crater, so whatever happened there was the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Cutscene disease gets everyone eventually, from the greatest SOLDIERs to the most fragile florists.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tseng has been alive since 2005, where they unceremoniously killed him again he was mildly injured only to appear near the very end of Advent Children.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Well he's gonna have to headline the party at some point, might as well give him a shot.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wonder if Part 3 will still have QB or replace it with something completely different like they did Fort Condor. QB's storyline has essentially already concluded so while QB is very fun and they should make an app for it, they should also make a new game that everyone in the world is suddenly into (that also ties into the Genesis plot line, naturally)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My guess for Vincent will be that he gets Gallian Beast as a default transformation on Triangle (with some kind of meter), and each level of Limit turns him basically into the equivalent of a summon that you control directly which sticks around for a while then does a big attack when he changes back. ATB would be fancy Dirge of Cerberus sharpshooter moves when untransformed.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My problem with the lifestream theories is that they ignore the different versions of Stamp. Every time there's a major deviation in events, a different Stamp breed appears (including the one in which Aerith and Cloud speak). Ignoring the fact that different Stamp breeds don't make sense in divergences that occur after Stamp was designed, there's no explanation for why the developers use them to indicate different continuities if all the continuities are just lifestream dreams.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the whole Stamp theory runs into the issue that one of the 'alternate' stamps appears in the main world, which kind of removes the idea that there is only one Stamp design per timeline. The different dogs could entirely be excused with "Stamp is a Paw Patrol style show with multiple dogs."

True, but that one alternate Stamp could just be a level designer error. All the other times they show up they linger on screen just long enough for you to register "huh that's weird". (Where is the alternate Stamp anyway? I never went to look for it.)

Like. I don't know why they would deliberately frame different Stamp breeds (including at the very end of Remake) if it was just "actually there's a whole group of them" when they never show a group of them together.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like Stamp is very obviously a marker for the audience to go "heh, I can see we've swapped worlds. You can't fool me video game" but I don't see how that is evidence against lifestream dreams.

True, but two of the times they framed a "world swap" are specifically when Zack makes different decisions. He chooses to go help Cloud in the tunnel, then we get a swap to the version where he tries to save Biggs. And then we get another swap to the version where he couldn't decide between Aerith, Cloud, or Biggs. Those could still be lifestream dreams, but the framing is that they're different timelines caused by different choices Zack made.

Of course as we all know, the devs love framing things one way and then turning everything upside-down anyway! But I still more heavily lean toward timeline shenanigans so that FFVII can finally join the big list of Final Fantasy games with weird time stuff alongside FF1 and FF8.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Aerith (and the Cetra in general) are supposedly able to commune with the Planet without actually being in the lifestream. Theoretically, this means that even if she hadn't died, she could still direct the lifestream to save the planet. This would line up with the intent of the creators of the original game who wanted to make her death completely meaningless in terms of the plot. It does nothing except to leave a hole in the party (almost literally; with all characters at the end of the game, you can only form two complete parties for the Bizarro Sephiroth fight, leaving one with only two slots filled).

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Zackification of FFVII continues unabated.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

On the one hand, Aerith is definitely dead.

On the other hand, Cloud explicitly has a physical empty materia that he got from Aerith in another universe and you can't "lifestream dream" that away.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Obviously this is all just one big easter egg reference to the ghost Aerith glitch(?) from visiting the Church in the original game on later discs.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

On the weird mutant third hand, materia are just made out of lifestream stuff. "<Thing> is within the lifestream" doesn't mean it's wholly immaterial. Hell, the lifestream itself is a tangible, material thing.

Makes me wonder if they'll bring up Tifa's question about whether mako reactors actually consume/destroy lifestream again in part 3. Perhaps when they talk to Bugenhagen again later on we'll get an updated model of planetology.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that "Cloud saved her" looks an awful lot like "Cloud hallucinated saving her." There's no indication of it being multiple timelines.

Well. No indication except the liberal use of the rainbow glow effect that indicates timelines being created/split/destroyed. It's not concrete, but it's there throughout the scene, including the part where he's deflecting Sephiroth's sword.

On that note, we also don't know where the hell Zack ended up after the end fights. We do know he's in a place where the flowers at the church are still blooming at least, but I don't recall if that was the case in his offshoot universe, too. I just remember the flowers being dead around Aerith's house.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's gonna be a QTE a la Leon vs Krauser, but instead of knives it's slaps.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Honestly, a lot of the stuff involving Aerith from the end of Chapter 13 onward is really hard to make sense of. Aerith and Cloud both woke up in essentially prologue Zack's continuity in the unconscious bodies of those version of themselves. The Aerith there knows more things than she usually does, and even acts pretty different. Does she act different because she knows things? Does she know things because she's got the white materia? I think the game is purposefully vague about what conclusions you can draw. Then Cloud gives the white materia to the Aerith of the main timeline (who may or may not be the same Aerith that he got it from to begin with), but this happens in another abstract dream-like version of the Sleeping Forest where he's being beset by whispers while he's also unconscious as far as the rest of the party is concerned. But Aerith apparently wasn't unconscious like he was, so... ????

Anyway hope they clear this up in interviews and just completely ignore this in the text of Part 3 so that the discussion never ends.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I do suspect forest dream Aerith is Rebirth Aerith because original Aerith basically did the same thing sans white materia weirdness. Just feels less clear cut because of the previous Dream Aerith interaction.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Either way, I think the important thing is that Aerith got her foreknowledge back. Wherever she is now, whatever her current state of existence is, she's got her prophetic knowledge back and can continue to act on it. (From within the lifestream, or hopping between worlds, or whatever happens.)

Actually, here's a question: do we know if Aerith got her foreknowlege back? Basically everything she does after getting the white materia from Cloud is stuff she also does in the original game. Unless we presume that original Aerith also had foreknowledge, there's not really any indication that Aerith has any more or less knowledge than she did before she got it back, is there? Maybe I forgot something.

(This is ignoring final battle Aerith who is an anomaly in her own way and will not be considered for this foreknowledge question.)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Part of this is also, are people still on the “three sephiroths” train? I remember that being a very popular theory in the wake of 7R.

The "four sephiroths" theory was something brought up in FFVII Remake's Ultimania, which was probably why it got brought up a lot. Since it's not explicitly part of Remake's or Rebirth's text proper (although also not directly contradicted by it?) there's a chance it still applies if the developers haven't changed their mind.

EDIT: I don't have an actual copy of this myself, so I can only trust this person's translation, but... (it's a thread, naturally)
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256217127457099776

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 26, 2024

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think the Cloud that Zack brought into town replaced that version of the timeline's Cloud, and in the same way our Biggs replaced that timeline's version of Biggs. That means, for whatever reason, Zack was pulled a couple of months into the future and Biggs was pulled a few days forward.

EDIT: Actually, I guess the (non-alternate) timeline for Cloud's arrival into Midgar must have changed because Cloud only received his apartment in Remake after the first mission, so unless he was hanging around homeless for a couple months after Zack died, Zack's death must have been more recent.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 31, 2024

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think it's kind of a Loki tv show situation. The original timeline is a kind of Sacred Timeline, and the whispers in Remake basically kept everything going in that direction. When the party defeats the Whisper Harbinger at the end of Remake, perhaps not realizing this was what Sephiroth wanted them to do, the timeline started to fray into these little branch timelines whenever folks made different choices. However, these worlds are doomed to die (probably not enough lifestream to support them all), and Sephiroth is harvesting them for despair and other strong negative emotions. What he didn't plan for was for Aerith to retrieve a fully-charged white materia from one of these dying branches.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

So far, one thing we know for sure Sephiroth is doing differently is that he's actively trying to convince Cloud not to trust Tifa. The reason Holy couldn't do anything in the original was because Sephiroth was preventing it from releasing, and it was only released when Cloud defeated him (the shirtless fight), so maybe the plan is to prevent Cloud from recovering from his dip into the lifestream, which required Tifa's help.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Unless that is just a mistake or change, Holy ain't summoned

I'm a bit hesitant to call that a change yet, because the actual green glow Bugenhagen talks about in the original is way more explicit and was not shown during the Aerith death scene.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

EDIT: Also, I think the implications of the doomed timeline is that Zack (and Aerith and Cloud when you have your date) is experiencing every one of his deaths. There's not multiple Zacks, there's one Zack who keeps getting cycled through different possibilities that keep ending in his death. But like Aerith for example is wearing all three colors of jewelry bangles from Cloud's "date" with her, indicating she's done this multiple times, I think?

She's wearing the same bracelets throughout Remake and Rebirth. But also your choices weren't just bangles, they were also a stamp doll, among other things.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You can't pick any of them. You always get the flower pin regardless of what you choose. I think it's meant to let you differentiate between the Aerith of that world who wears the pin for the rest of the scene, and the Aerith who receives the white materia, who naturally does not have that pin. (And also blah blah blah fate blah blah blah)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It is glowing green the entire time or else it would be white

Right, but what I'm saying is that Bugenhagen seemed to focus on the glowy halo/aura it has when it's settled at the bottom of the pool, which the materia doesn't have when it's still falling in the OG, so it's still possible that that glow will be green in the Remake continuity and we'll see it later. Basically I'm just saying I'm not ready to write it off as not glowing yet because we haven't seen it where it rests yet.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone know if this is legit? Or am I the April Fool
https://twitter.com/TheStrifeisRife/status/1774249699509211453

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Honestly, the new plot wrinkles of the FFVIIRe series has been refreshing so far for me. Maybe I'm not playing the right ones, but it feels pretty rare for a game to be planned around having a sequel to wrap everything up and answer questions, so it's allowed to just leave the story with so many questions left to answer. I get the apprehension that it might not stick the landing, but for now I want to see what they're cooking.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Those are, ah, scenes of Nanaki talking to Aerith.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Notably, Red appears to react to Aerith in the same way that Aerith reacted to Zack at the end of Remake. A vague idea that they were in the same space in different timelines (or whatever the hell is going on if it's not timelines), so yeah seems likely they're in a similar position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I've figured it out. The real plot is that Aerith is attempting to slingshot herself through the lifestream until she reaches far enough into the past that she'll be able to destroy Jenova before she ends up being used for Hojo's experiments. This will be revealed in a post-credits sequence before Cloud wakes up in bed with Tifa, Zack, and Aerith who tells him it was just a bad dream—but she's referring to the events of the entire Compilation of FFVII (including the original).