Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I can't believe that Cloud was actually Diamond Weapon all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

Figure this is probably easier to discuss here than in the main thread.

Anyone else notice this part of the Gi backstory?

I'm curious what it means that their "star" (maybe in the FFXIV sense, meaning "world") was "subsumed" by the planet. Is it like a natural process, as a world dies it gets absorbed into other worlds?

It's sort of difficult to imagine what exactly they meant with "subsume". The Gi aren't allowed into the Lifestream because their aliens, so presumably the Planet didn't eat some other worlds Lifestream? Maybe this is like that Omega Weapon plan in action and some other rock got colonized by the lifestream we know. I mean it's apparently something the Gi survived, which is really impressive with that bit about TIME stopping, for awhile before they all died on the planet as we know it... it was a really hard to pierce line.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 11, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe Sephiroth just cast Meteor instead of Meteoraga? Hell maybe the Black Materia also let's you cast Delete Ghost and it just didn't come up before. Maybe the Gi are entirely legit and the Cetra really are anti immigrant jerks.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks Sephiroth is gonna jack the weapons and turn them from lifestream whales into their original biological mecha rear end selves at North Crater?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

That’d be pretty lame. I like how the planet itself came up with the freaky kaiju. Making it Sephiroth the whole time sucks.

Yeah well, tough. It ain't my ff7 if a meat Gundam doesn't Leeroy Jenkins clean out of the ocean and get it's head blown off by the shinra military industrial complexes biggest dick.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
They killed Cid with a last name I forget XVI midgame, and they was a very cool friend who was absolutely a party member

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 13, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I could see the Proud Clad being reconfigured to be build off a weapon corpse or something.

It has that biomechanical look to it.

Though the Pride and Joy in Remake is a lot more raw mechanical.

(The Japanese name for Pride and Joy is Proud Clad Type 0 so.)

One of my dumb final fantasy stories is thinking Proud Clod was a pretty dumb name until over a decade later when I was playing 13 and that cop guy comes at you in a mech called the Proud Clad toward the end and I was like WAIT A MINUTE

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

On a note other than ending talk. What’s left to cover in part 3? I know at minimum we got:

- Snowboarding
- Weapons
- Lifestream
- Wutai
- Airship
- Space
- Sister Ray
- Huge/Magnus Materia
- Return to Midgar
- Beat up Hojo

Plus the final boss n all.

I forget what else.

Mideel presumably. Quest for the golden Chocobo and submarine shenanigans. I dunno how much ocean they'll let you crawl but I would imagine at least the part where you fight the Turks in a sunken cargo plane for that key.

We need a place to fight Ghost Ship to at least make up for the loss of Heavy Tank...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This is sort of a general question as opposed to one centered on Rebirth, but what exactly is the Reunion supposed to do?

It sounds like the black robes will all just meet up to reform Jenova, but that isn't quite what they manage in the OG. They sort of vaguely lay a trail for the party, mass up in north crater in the first go around, get wiped out by Jenova but this doesn't seem to facilitate anything, I think. Do they help make the Safer Sephiroth body? It's treated with a kind of significance in the plot that doesn't really mesh with what it seems to accomplish.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

To be fair, the Weapons in the original all beeline for places that are sucking up mako like crazy, like Junon and Midgar. Can't really blame them for seeing that as the priority.

It's an assumption based on the two weapons we see in rebirth are already active and barely seem to care about Shinra. They might be scoping out the reactor sites I guess but mostly they just fight Sephiroth. Since they've commited to hitting most of the same beats as the OG then you need giant monsterbots. You need them at north crater for the oh poo poo factor of the last act, you need Sapphire at Junon and Diamond (was it diamond?) to attack Mideel just before Cloud recovers and to laser the top floor of the Shinra building to Rufus's apparent demise, you need Emerald to scare the out of you while you blissfully submarine about... Ruby...

Ruby can, I dunno, be the new last round of 3d brawler or something

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

triple sulk posted:

I didn't exactly post this but I ran with the purgatory idea in the previous thread

I was half right in that we got a playable Zack, if only for 20 minutes. The Biggs stuff felt pointless for how little time he was there unless if you look at it from either an acceptance angle or solely as a mechanism to justify timelines, but then it could have also been Jessie.

It is plain wild they made a fleshed out playstyle both for Sephiroth and Zack but Cid and Vincent don't even do something like Red's assists from the end of Remake

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Azubah posted:

That was a cool fight though. Good "oh poo poo" and "we can put you down, old man" moments.

I hope square knows I now demand fully destructable environments for Vincent to rampage through and weaponize. :colbert:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I wanna be excited for whatever it is thier gonna do for Zack but the incredibly slow burn pace of his story in Rebirth has me skittish.

Did they clarify what caused that explosion over by the church when he was going to find Biggs for the first time or just completely skip over it? I guess he was trying to figure out how to make bombs himself? I dunno.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Spermando posted:

Well, that certainly didn't carry over to Dirge.

Dirge was based on a lovely multiplayer mode about being a deepground grunt instead of actually designing it as a spectacle gunplay and monster mash thing they really should of at least tried for from the ground up.

As for the Aerith, I dunno I don't think I really care for the way it was done. I left Remake excited and speculating about it all go now and things have rerailed in a sufficiently muddy fashion that I don't really feel like my hypes there anymore. Maybe they'll do a weird Zack thing but probably nothing going as far as I like.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 13, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really enjoy her play style but she has my ATB boost materia and gets her focus synergy with Cloud up as fast possible so the battle field can explode in a wave of damage cap when I'm fielding her

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF7 Revengeance: I think it's time for Cloud to let 'er rip The rip is his mind. He's going insane.

I will not lie, the bit in Gongaga where he just channels Sephiroth so hard he takes his combat style had me wanting a devil trigger where you could use the nibelheim flashback moveset

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's a cool and iconic looming dread you can spend a last act racing to try and stop.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nucular Carmul posted:

Cloud was so loving sassy I was cheering lmao

That bullet dodge and little shake of his head

I got a similar buzz when he started using Zack's stance and vice versa

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Zack being a one man army never the less imperiled by the attentions of maybe 1 to 3 dozen shinra security grunts, especially given how Cloud just runs absolutely roughshod over them in Remake, was funny. I guess even Sephiroth isn't actually immune to getting domed in the back of the head while he's goofing off though. At least, the black cloaks aren't.

Although those guys did to seem to actually survive the boat captain popping them with a rifle before they jenova'd. But bullets did kill Dyne... but he was fine enough after fighting Barret and crap loads of bullets are Barrets basic attack and go to DPS spender...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ardryn posted:

One must remember the power difference between Cutscene and Gameplay type bullets.

Barret got cutscene shot! A lot even. Scarlett had to get his hand like 4 times before he lost his grip on Dyne. Dunno if Boat Captain was loaded with cutscene bullets or mid fight cutscene bullets, might be a difference.

Besides I was never actually convinced Barret is shooting real bullets, sometimes in Remake he can unload even when he clearly has his claw weapon attached. He's just directing vibes at people really hard.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

Something I'm thinking about today regarding the ending and the common "Cloud is seeing an alternate reality nobody he created that nobody else can see" interpretation:

Why are people trusting Cloud's POV here? Cloud Strife. You know, the guy whose brain has been steadily melting for the whole game. The guy who's constantly seeing mako-, Jenova-, and Sephiroth-induced hallucinations. One of the most famous unreliable narrators in gaming. Y'know, that Cloud Strife.

There is a lot of weird going on here, just because Cloud is a injured psyche loosely glued together by his SOLDIERsona and doesn't know what his left hand is doing anymore does not mean he didn't get turned into a moogle and have multiple run ins with Greg.

Sometimes it simply be like that, and I think Kingdom Hearts is one of them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Cloud turning into a moogle was the happiest moment of his entire life.

His highs have been very okay and his lows have been extremely distressing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I absolutely wanted more Zack, the 5 minute cuts over to him and then moving away were teeth grtting.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

His brain don't work good.

Clouds brain works great. it's powerful levels in Mime allow him to learn how to do sick motorcycle stunts from getting stunted at, dance like pro after getting pro danced at, learn how to giant sword after getting stabbed with a giant sword and even dodge mental trauma by telling him he's actually another guy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Between defeating the Turks and the entire rest of the strike team getting wiped the gently caress out between one thing or another, in this case Tseng's scene is mostly just the capstone to repelling Shinra from the temple and moving on to Sephiroth.

Tseng verifying that this ain't the promised land bowing out gracefully is all he could do.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the implication is what the White Materia is what gave that knowledge. Materia are just big old collections of knowledge and the like, which is how they give the ability to use skills/cast magic, and in Aerith's case the White Materia went a step further. The Whispers drained it (which is why she pulls out the Clear Materia when discussing it, because draining the White Materia is what took that away) and then in the other timeline Aerith had it all back because she had the White Materia there.

The fact that the White Materia does not appear to have been used to summon Holy is probably going to tie into all of it.

I've always wondered how that worked with the Soldier Project because in theory a mako infusion that drenches you in planetary knowledge would either make you into a big old wizard or give you random levels in various jobs as opposed to basic physical enhancement.

Maybe that's where Cloud learned to dance.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

We see when than happens, it is Mako poisoning. Mako Poisoning is basically your mind overwhelmed with stuff. Presumably any SOLDIER washout is considered someone who couldn't survive that.

Right. I was asking what you get out of huffing Mako otherwise.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This isn't exactly rebirth spoilers but I like that after Nibelheim, getting Hojo'd, 4 years of cryogenic stasis and one year of being drug around by Zack in a catatonic state, then freaking out again after Zack dies and wallowing in the gutters of the Midgar Slums like any Black Cloak, upon meeting Tifa again Cloud's brain immediately throws all his myriad trauma in a closet and boots up CoolGuy OS.

I can only hope that presenting Roche with a new motorcycle will allow him to do the same...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Hmm, so I found my childhood friend in a stained SOLDIER uniform babbling in a gutter. Yeah, that seems normal."

When your man is that pretty, you wipe the dirt off and take him home and figure out the details later.

Details include being great at killing people and guess what her side gig needs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Potions are just an energy drink now so I like to imagine Cloud slicing of the tops off a six pack of Monster and just slinging it around at the party

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Re3 is gonna have a hefty old save bonus and then Hojo's fight gets more phases scaling with how much combat data you've unwittingly fed him from all the intel fights over the last 2 games

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
How do you account for Kyrie and the rest of sector 5 slums NPC's that have no particular reason to be dead at the moment, or the temporarily life of prologue Red?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Mako is interesting because the pipes around Midgar in the very start of the game when the news report is going are downright oozing Mako, and in the ending Zack(assuming he landed back in the "same" church") is observing blooming flowers.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hojo keeps the President, either of them, on the hook as supposedly the leading Cetra expert that can get them the promised land. That and the Soldier project was a big win for him. I think.

Every 1st class we know typically violently deserted and declared varying levels of war of on the company so...

Actually Hojo did make a lady completely immortal once more or less as an accident, maybe he convinced Prez Shinra he could do it for him after working out some bugs, who knows. Rufus has [i]some[/] standards and has only been company head for a couple weeks, he might not have time yet to do a big shuffle of his departments.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 22, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

bobjr posted:

If the first part of the game is going north to the crater I figure it's going to be Cloud getting worse and worst until the breakdown at the crater, just in a different way than the original game.

I did want Roche to be there for the snowboard minigame, but it looks like that won't be happening.

He could just be there, Farnsworthing his way down an advanced course. It won't really be the same without the yelling but...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious what their design for Ultima Weapon (the sword) will be. Its original design would I think look a bit cartoony in HD, probably. Then again I also think the Umbral Blade in this one looks wildly out of place so maybe they'll just go for it.

It's gonna be the nail bat but the nails are gold and shiny.

bobjr posted:

I hope the pilot guy who keeps leveling up shows up next game

I hope the Highwind is staffed by the Midgar 7th

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe they'll actually put the whole Jenova shapeshifting thing to use outside of Glenn. Have it pretend to be Aerith to gently caress with the party in the next one

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

kliras posted:

the game has a long line of incidents with shinra going from covering them up > acknowledging them and basically giving five bucks to a charity as a tax write-off

it's a corporation that adopts the typical model of moving from opposition to co-opting the cause of reconciliation. sometimes all you have to show for it is a basic memorial like the one in gogaga

It's extra fun in Coral's case because in EU materials the thing that caused the reactor to blow up was an attack from the original incarnation of Avalanche. They didn't even need to to do a massacre and make a scape goat, Scarlet was just bored or something.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
IX was a rat game.

New rat game, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
He monke.

If I remember right he even hangs from his tail a few times.