Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I actually really don't like playing as Aerith, so her coming back for that final showdown with Sephiroth was not the fist pumping moment it was meant to be for me :lol:. I was like "oh on, can you send Yuffie instead?"

EDIT: You know, now that I think about it, it's a good thing that Cloud remembered that Zack is a guy that existed(even if he broke brain remembered it wrong) or else he would have been really confused during that last fight.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ReCrisis

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So what's the deal with Glenn? Is he just another Sephiroth puppet? He's definitely a black robe with mysterious powers, but he seemed to have his own personality, or was that just Sephiroth faking it the whole time to gently caress with Rufus?

It's going to be interesting to see how all this new Wutai stuff plays out in the next game.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Glenn stuff is hilariously convoluted, because it's both a false flag and a double cross

Between Rufus fake identity and the Glenn/Sephiroth puppet running things in Wutai, I predict that Yuffie is in for a bad time next game.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I also suspect Nero held onto Sonon's body for a reason, too.

Gonna be hosed up if we get to Wutai and Sonon is just there "alive and well" and accuses Yuffie of abandoning the mission.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Remake had that one on one chat with a party member at Aerith's house near the end, and Rebirth had the date, I wonder what the big bonding moment in the third game will be? A final chat just before the return to the Northern Crater for the final fight?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Spermando posted:

It's also weird that they revealed the fact that Zack was there, but it didn't matter much in the plot. Maybe they have different plans for the reveal in the northern crater.

Cloud had to remember that Zack was a person who existed and was friends with because otherwise, he would be very confused when this black haired SOLDIER showed up to help him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

the sequence beforehand in the doomed world has Cloud repeatedly being offered multiple choices and then having that choice immediately nullified, the same thing happens regardless. We then see Zack in multiple worlds making different decisions on whether to try to save Cloud or Biggs, only for either option to end with the exact same result.
Cloud saved Aerith but she still died, because Sephiroth is manipulating fate

Man, I felt real bad for Biggs in this game. He's the only survivor of his friends, fails at everything he tries after, and then just ends up getting shot by a random trooper. Man was better off just dying when the plate dropped.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should have given Zack a few small combat sections so I could have a chance to figure out his play style before the literal final boss fight.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

there's not much of the original canon left that the last two games' tweaks haven't severely impacted in some way. rebirth gave me all the original material callbacks i could have wanted so i hereby give the final entry permission to get weird with it

That's probably why they set up all this new stuff with Wutai in this game. The war with Wutai seems like it'll play a big role in the next game and probably give us a reason to revisit some of the older zones that we wouldn't have had a reason to revisit in the original story.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like man, she was the key to such light hearted moments that I worry that part 3 will be much more serious than the silly stuff all throughout this game.

It's going to be interesting to see how the group dynamics changes going forward. It probably is going to be a bit more serious overall just because we have the first visit to the Northern Crater and Cloud handing over the Black Materia coming up, all the fallout from those actions, as well as the all out war with Wutai, not as many chances for lighthearted moments. That being said, we still have Yuffie, Cait Sith, and teenage Red to lighten the mood(though maybe not so much Yuffie with the conflict in Wutai heating up), and we'll have the full addition of Cid and Vincent. Cid had a few goofy moments already, and Vincent is so overly serious that it wraps around to being funny. So I don't think it's going to be serious mode all the time, at least.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also, Tifa and Scarlet need to get into a slap fight on top of a giant cannon.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If nothing else, I expect that we'll get a more in-depth ending that just cutting to Red and his kids 500 years in the future.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's going to be fun to see how this all blows up in Rufus' face in the next game. I mean, we know how it's going to blow up on him in Midgar at the end, but now Wutai is going to get swept up in all his gently caress ups, too. Gonna be a real bummer for Yuffie to see her home burn to the ground(again) because of all this.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Morroque posted:

So Rufus was able to "win" the old war against Wutai by faking the entire interim government to be yet another arm of the Shinra Electric Company. He did this by playing Wutai off against Avalanche, which he also founded as yet another arm of the Shinra Electric Company. And the timeline-crossing Jenova-Sephiroth, who may or may not be the real Sephiroth from the Nibelhiem flashback successfully un-Jenovaing himself, decides to take a break from loving with Cloud to go and trick Rufus Shrina into declaring war against Rufus Shinra? For shits and giggles?

For all this to have happened and nobody have noticed before, Wutai would have to be comedically incompetent. ... which considering OG Wutai being little more than a tourist trap, is not entirely out of the question.

Rufus and Glenn's conversation in Junon makes it sound like the plan was always for Shinra and Wutai to go to war again and it was set in motion by Rufus' dad. The people of Wutai went along with it because they were pissed at what Shinra did to them and then three badass SOLDIERS showed up with the promise of helping them get their revenge. It's also possible Glenn and the others didn't know Rufus was actually behind all this when they defected considering Glenn ended up with the bullet in the back of the head for his trouble.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

His brain don't work good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking about how cool Galian Beast looked and how excited I am for Vincent to be playable in the next game. Hope they keep Death Gigas and Hellmasker, wanna see how they update those goofy designs.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

One brief note for the ending: I was dead certain we were going to have to wait for part 3 to see Cloud and Zack fight Sephiroth together. Can't wait to see how they top that one in part 3

Could, Zack, and Sephiroth team up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Cloud, Broden, and Roche

Fixed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At some point, Marlene is going to get the Clear Materia, and it will be filled with hope again near the end of the game, and she's going to summon Holy. Barret will never stop bragging about his baby girl saving the world.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It would be funny if Sephiroth's downfall came at the hands of the actual last Cetra that he didn't even know about after spending all this time going after Aerith

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still not sure why Biggs of all people got pulled into the alternate timeline in the first place. Where Jessie and Wedge not good enough for you, White Whispers?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Azubah posted:

Whispers took Jesse to the Loveless dimension where she dances and acts forever.

No, that was the Gold Saucer using AI to digitally replicate a dead actress so they can continue to profit off of her image.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it might be as simple as Zack says with "Hey man, maybe you're alive because there's something only you can accomplish". That scene between Zack and Biggs definitely didn't make it sound like it was random.

Yeah, but everything he tries fails miserably, and all he ends up doing is getting shot by a random trooper.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much of the next game will be spent without Cloud in your party. It's been years since I played the OG, but Cloud spends a decent amount of time out of commission after handing over the Black Materia, doesn't he?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah and Cid is your leader for a while

Yeah, I'm just trying to remember how long that whole sequence goes for and how that would translate into the third game.

It'll be very weird to see Cid as the temporary leader since he is not even playable yet. He's only barely joined the team at this point.

Edit: oh yeah, and Tifa will be gone for a big chunk of that, too!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Wutai is going to be post Cloud brain melting, then they should make Yuffie the leader, at least for that zone. Maybe put a different character in charge depending on the zone instead of just Cid. Barret gets Corel, Red gets Cosmo Canyon, etc.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dang, we're going to be spending like 100 hours running around with the group going on crazy adventures and dealing with their deep emotional issues and Cloud and Tifa are going to miss all of it. They're going to have so many in-jokes that the other two won't get.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Well Hojo currently has Chadley's real body hooked up to a brain drilling machine in his lab, so we're probably in for some hosed up stuff with him in the next game.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was that Chadley's body? I thought it may have been an earlier body from the Chadley series

Well Chadley starts reacting when Hojo's machine starts poking at the body's brain.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So why were the black robes after the protorelics in Nibelheim? Was it just Sephiroth wondering why the hell Cloud was spending all his time collecting these things? It was pretty surreal seeing Sephiroth and Gilgamesh standing next to each other. Wish they had interacted a bit more before Sephiroth poofed away

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At the end when they showed that scene of all the black robes leaving Nibelheim, could the people see the whispers, too? It would be kind of neat if everyone could see them now and not just the main characters.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When does Genesis show up?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Instead of just Tifa going into the lifestream to help Cloud fix his broke brain, it should he whoever you have the highest bond with. Some of these characters will be better equipped to help Cloud with his issues than others.

Vincent just spends the whole time going, "Heh, you call this tragic? My backstory is at least 10 times more traumatic than yours."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely have no idea who would be better equipped than Tifa. Like even Red XIII is a dorky kid.

Cait Sith gives actual great and helpful advice, but Cloud can't take any of it seriously because it's coming from a talking Scottish cat.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Barret should have been given Dyne's gun arm.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Part 3 is going to introduce Aeirth's long lost sister Jaerith, who oddly enough has all of Aerith's OG moves and stats and even voice.

And Aerith told her all about her friends, so they can just skip that awkward getting to know each other phase.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think Cloud almost killing Tifa in Gongaga and their talk after put an end to any doubts he had about her.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I kind of wish Cloud didn't remember Zack because it would have made him showing up for the final fight really funny and awkward.

"Hey Cloud!"
"Hey.....you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want Cloud to go even crazier and start remembering the events of Crisis Core, but with him in Zack's role.

Cloud: "And then I had to fight a guy named Genesis!"
Barret: "Alright, now I know you're makin poo poo up!"