Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished it, thought it ruled, moderately confused by the ending, but the thing that's kinda stuck in my craw is that it's a little weird to start with the Kalm flashback and not really pay that off in the ending. I was kind of assuming they'd combine some of the stuff from Northern Crater in the original with the Forgotten Capital just to give the middle chapter more of an arc, but they didn't. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It wouldn't have been boring if they'd followed the original, and I can only speak for myself, but personally I just vastly prefer this direction

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Cloud is very explicitly seeing timeline fuckery in some capacity in the ending

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On another note, I've never really been all that partial to Price of Freedom (it's got a strong motif but the instrumentation has never done anything for me, I find it kind of cloying), but this game utilizes the melody pretty much perfectly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is the time without Cloud and Tifa in the party really that long? Off the top of my head it was fairly brief in the og.

Enough time without them for it to be sorta interesting and fun that Cid's the party leader now but not long enough that it was like actually especially surprising.

It's like, two objectives long, it's pretty short.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thinking it over, I get why they changed it but OG Nibelheim filled with paid actors is far superior to the mako poisoning treatment facility. I wish they had stuck with that idea at least a little, it's so fun and spooky. It's one of the only major gripes I have with this game's story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Actual thing came up when watching cutscenes. Zack and Biggs talk during the boat trip doesn't make a ton of sense to me as it can't just be 'oh it's a different timeline'

Biggs is from prime world where he and cloud met and cloud was a merc, while Zack just got done bringing him back to Midgar in his poisoned coma. The two conflict with each other in the same timeline as both couldn't have happened, so I'm a bit lost on if I'm overthinking or if that's just a unanswered hook.

Goes with Marlene knowing stuff I suppose

The thing that confused me was that Shinra was looking for a suspect with a Buster Sword before Zack even arrived in Midgar.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They clearly mean Cloud?

Quick question: if Zack is entering Midgar with a comatose Cloud, and Zack still has the Buster Sword, what the gently caress???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The order of events was definitely weird but it was too early to make a call for me. Biggs' scene made it clear this was some weird confluence of detritus from different timelines or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm sympathetic to the idea that a story can be vague in a way that feels opaque or alienating to the audience, but I disagree with characterizing Rebirth that way, the things I most wanted clarity about felt ripe for discussion and interpretation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heidegger is a bastard, but he seems like a true believer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm listening to the OST right now and "Prison Break" (plays during the shooting segment with Barret in the buggy) is low-key one of the best tracks in the game