Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought the whole deal at the end with the multiverse poo poo was very straightforward, Sephiroth’s goal is to use the Reunion of Worlds to manifest his Stand,「DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP」

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

His plan in the OG was that meteor would cause such a grievous wound to the planet that the lifestream would concentrate all in one place, which he and Jenova could then suck up like a big old soul smoothie to become gods. At some point he also got very confused about whether jenova was actually an ancient or not, and more than anything else he was driven purely by being Cloud’s #1 hater and wanting to gently caress that guy over as much as he possibly could.

Part of this is also, are people still on the “three sephiroths” train? I remember that being a very popular theory in the wake of 7R.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It sure looked like the guy on the balcony was reacting to the whispers and not the black robe guys, yeah

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Nanaki’s gold saucer date has him explicitly state thst he and Aerith were able to see the future while they were in midgar and they lost that ability after the freeway battle.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

bobjr posted:

Even in the original Dyne’s a bit out of place. Like they had to put him in somewhere for Barrett’s story but there’s not a super great spot for it.

Dyne works in the OG because the gold saucer in the OG was explicitly built on the ruins of corel town, just like a funhouse version of midgar and the undercity, so its a reminder of why Barret is fighting and what Shinra does as well as making it even more explicit that the world of shinra is built on the bones of those they oppressed. Changing it in the remake so that the corel refugee village was always the original location of the town and the Gold Saucer is just built on undeveloped desert really undercuts that angle.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My wild theory is that Cloud actually did block Sephiroth’s attack in “this” universe, but when he uno reverse’d by imposing a reality from a world where Cloud couldn’t save her he accidentally hosed himself, because instead of killing remake!Aerith he shunted her into the space between worlds and gave her a similar status as Sephiroth himself has. While she doesn’t have the benefit of a bunch of augmented ex-SOLDIERS that to hijack from the negative zone to directly influence events, she can still communicate with Cloud (and presumably the lifestream via the aerith who *was* killed) via the hollow materia, or some other mechanic.

Harrow posted:

I don't at all buy the "Jenova impersonating Aerith" theory. Why would she look so sad when she turns away from Cloud if he can't even see her face? Why would she say a sad goodbye to the departing plane with nobody there to hear her if she was just Jenova impersonating Aerith to manipulate Cloud?

I also don’t buy it’s secretly Jenova, because A) Jenova has always been a pretty explicitly physical existence, she’s never done the invisible apparition thing, B) Nanaki clocks her presence as Aerith, not Jenova, which would be loving weird if it was Jenova, C) the one big time in the original Jenova disguised herself as Tifa, she immediately dropped the act to stunt on cloud the moment he was out of sight, because like the one bit of characterization we have of her is that she’s a catty bitch who loves to gently caress with people

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 28, 2024

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Jimbot posted:

That makes the lifestream more nefarious than anything Sephiroth is doing, then. "Oh, this is a pocket dimension. Time to kill everyone inside of it because we gotta clean up all this." I also don't think there's an overwhelmingly strong emotion in people wishing that Stamp was a different breed of dog. Maybe it's the case but these games are anything but "cleaner" than the original.

I mean the lifestream was fairly amoral in the original game as well, it’s easy to forget since advent children has been out for so long but a fairly explicit and intended possible interpretation of the ending has always been “poo poo, maybe Holy wiped out all of humanity too while it was dealing with meteor since it considered us a threat”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It’d be wild if they just didn’t do anything with Zangan since they went and got mr. Kamen Rider himself, Hiroshi Fujioka, to voice him in Japanese.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The implication at the time was that sephiroth failed because meteor didnt strike and also he was extremely dead, but Holy may or may not have killed humanity off in the process of protecting the planet, with the ambiguity that Red and other survivors of his kind might have been left as the only sapient life.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean remember also that Tifa and the gang aren’t privy to the full story of what the gently caress is going on with Cloud. To be frank, from their perspective, all they can really do is minimize his instability and hope they can wrap this poo poo up fast enough that he gets to have a few years of peace before the degradation puts him down for good. They don’t know about the Jenova cells or the Sephiroth brain ghosts or that he could be brought back from the brink with a genuine intervention, the story everyone is telling them is that all SOLDIERs have an expiration date and, by all appearances, Cloud’s is coming up soon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah the funniest thing about yuffie is that her being a trained and seasoned combatant at age 16 is both extremely normal in the setting and also puts her head and shoulders above pretty much all of the rebirth party except cloud and maybe Tifa, depending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah Cloud left home to go join the army at 14, and this is explicitly not unusual for a dying town like Nibelheim even if the subtext is that he was leaving because the town blamed him for Tifa getting hurt and he didn't want to be a burden on his mom. Gaia considers teens adults very, very young.

Yeah, when you actually crunch the numbers you quickly realize the extremely funny fact that-excepting Red, who’s weird - until Vincent and Cid join up, Yuffie is the member of the party with the most actual experience as a trained combatant, since Cloud only had like a year and a half active duty before getting pickled in a basement for 5 years.