Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As someone who beat the game yesterday, my main disappointment with chapter 14 is how quick you just sort of run through the sleeping forest and the forgotten capital after how big and expanded the Temple is. That part of the game is this slow, somber build up in the og that is just sort of replaced with a walk and talk and a straight corridor thats given a single panorama before the ghosts show up and it's go mode.

Also doesn't help that the final Sephiroth fight kept bugging out on me when he'd do his final attack. I know you still take damage during Synergy Abilities, but I thought I had enough time to use one in-between the lasers... instead what happened is he triggered the insta kill and the game failed to recognize I was dead because it happened in the animation or something. Happened to me twice before I realized it was supposed to be an instant kill on round 3 before finally doing it on round 4. Hard to focus on the narrative decisions when you're pissed off about the final boss and rewatching the cutscenes before that phase because they take place in the battle dimension and can't be skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

like, i KNOW that would be hosed for pacing to make that part longer after the temple, but it's still a little disappointing

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Considering how much Cloud starts parroting Sephiroth I'd imagine she's more worried that he knows the events because Sephiroth knows.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just remembered and want to acknowledge the biggest popoff I had in Rebirth, when they seemingly made an entire set of arena fights at the bottom of the well in Dustbowl just to acknowledge Test 0, the debug wolf monster accidentally left in the same spot in the Japanese release of the original game. I lost my fuckin' poo poo when I realized where that was.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I am pretty mystified by the intention of the original game's ending, but I'm always confused about people thinking "maybe Holy killed all the people". It's like Meteor very clearly got stopped...So is the theory that Holy then wiped every human out and Red....piloted an airship down by himself or...?

I think my takeaway from the ending is a simplistic "nature overcame the polluted city in the end", but the specificity of Red and 500 years is pretty weird.

It's because Bugenhagen explicitly calls out the possibility of Holy wiping out humanity when you take him to the city of the ancients, saying it's up to the planet to decide what's bad for it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Make a Weapon for every zone, and each one unlocks a Knight of the Round.

All the OG Weapons are now mandatory fights involving the Huge Magnus Materia, but now there's also a bunch more. Including one of the baby whale ones. And one in space.

Also I don't have a screenshot handy but kudos to the posters near Tifa's piano, I noticed they were referencing Ruby and Emerald Weapon, but after a moment I noticed that the environment in those posters was shaped like the Weapon as well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also when you start fighting Hojo I want at least one reference to Parasite Eve, c'mon. He's got a bunch of forms and summons monsters, give me at least one fleshrat shooting fireballs.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 3, 2024

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm thinking the whale ones are just baby Weapons, still forming because the incident that called them into being is recent while the ones from the OG seemingly all come from the northern crater.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They also turned the motorcycle mutants around Midgar to just, bandits on motorcycles.

Total cope, but there's alrays room for mutant versions of them in the future as palette swaps, especially with Hojo being involved.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao

my cousin has been playing rebirth after enjoying remake, and he's coming at it as someone who never played the original game and can't really get himself to play older turn-based rpgs with just text and basically only knows the bit where Aerith dies.

Anyway, I've been floating the idea of trying to get him interested in the first game, even offering to play it while he watches, and tell him about the cheats in the modern versions. He apparently already owns it on Steam and was looking at the page while we were talking about it, and the first thing he sees when he scrolled down (spoilers for original FFVII) is Zack in the truck with Sephiroth and with Cloud sitting next to him in the Shinra soldier fatigues. He just got to Cosmo Canyon in the remake so he obviously knows about the scene from the flashback, but I think he's under the impression that the OG game just has the scene like that and I wasn't about to open my mouth to say anything. Luckily it was some modded screenshot with flashier models so I just told him "yeah that looks modded".

Edit just realized other people might be in the same position as him since this is only the spoiler thread for Rebirth.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 7, 2024

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pretty sure my last hit on Jenova was a molotov cocktail or whatever item that's called because I couldn't get near and just needed to do a little bit of magic damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Trailer shows Zack going to the Old Yeller world with a hunter doing the exact same camera cut as the soldier at the end of Crisis Core.

"The price of freedom is steep."