Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
So Rufus was able to "win" the old war against Wutai by faking the entire interim government to be yet another arm of the Shinra Electric Company. He did this by playing Wutai off against Avalanche, which he also founded as yet another arm of the Shinra Electric Company. And the timeline-crossing Jenova-Sephiroth, who may or may not be the real Sephiroth from the Nibelhiem flashback successfully un-Jenovaing himself, decides to take a break from loving with Cloud to go and trick Rufus Shrina into declaring war against Rufus Shinra? For shits and giggles?

For all this to have happened and nobody have noticed before, Wutai would have to be comedically incompetent. ... which considering OG Wutai being little more than a tourist trap, is not entirely out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I think it is a little weird that Chadley was made by Hojo, more commonly known as the man whose one idea on how to do "science" involves injecting everything with an infinite supply of Jenova cells. The fact that Chadley is so otherwise normal-approximating that he triggers an uncanny valley response, instead of being a murder-crazed mutant like everything else Hojo touches, is a borderline miracle -- if not a plothole outright.

I'm half expecting Cloud to start having a Sephiroth-induced mental break, only to then have Chadley show up and start talking to Sephiroth, giving helpful and inane advice on how to puppeteer Cloud more efficiently.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
My interpretation of the ending lends towards something more intertextual. The FF7 remake was essentially a game they were bullied into making. It was a very strange kind of sensation, since they likely never quite understood where the impulse came from and probably thought the original was always fine as-is. They never had to deal with the rough mouthfeel of the original English translation, which always promoted this sense of "a good first draft; now go and do it again." The market pressure to "remake" this thing seemed strange, so a lot of the themes of the first remake game relates to getting all ponderous about it.

Meanwhile, the key line in Rebirth is when Cloud talks about his illness. "I feel like there's three different people inside of me, and I can't tell where I begin and they end." That applies to FF7 as a whole. By branching out even in the small ways that they have done so far, they've blown to bits what FF7 even is, or is not. Where does the "real" FF7 begin or end? By the end of the game, not even the characters themselves can agree on what did or did not happen.

What I don't know is how they intend to write themselves out of this jam. A lack of consensus reality is a difficult problem to solve. I know they have something in mind, because they're still using the same child actors for Marlene, Young Aerith, and such. Since those actors can only really be child actors for so long, and modern gamedev goes on for much longer than that, anything recorded with them had to have been done all-at-once. So the broad strokes of what is going to happen was written out a long time ago in the very least; just a question of if they'll stick the landing.