Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Didn't he just fail the "we're going to stick you full of mako and see if you go crazy test"? Unsurprisingly, since it turns out that being stuck full of mako causes him to go crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Harrow posted:

I wonder if they're going to try to address why Sephiroth didn't just let go of the sword

Cloud was still in the middle of his attack animation.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

(The original also implies he had a thing for her but Crisis Core wisely retcons that to 'he is watching over her for Zack' because Tseng is 31 and that's creepy as poo poo. Same way they seem to have redone Tseng and Elena's relationship as Teacher and Mentee instead of him hitting on her.)

I kind of got the impression that Tseng is desperate to rationalize himself as doing the right thing for Aerith (hence why he sets the Turks policy of just ignoring the party wherever possible) because if he doesn't his entire castle of excuses for why he's not a bad person will finally collapse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fedule posted:

I would think Jenova cells should make you an incredible actor given what we know about Jenova.

I'm afraid they just make an incredible actor you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Borrowing an empty corpse and reshaping it to match your own body is what all the best universe-hopping sorcerers do, I assure you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

There are like three people on the Board that Rufus really needs to kill because they're completely deranged, and he hasn't figured out how to pull off the clean sweep yet.

Honestly, even his father probably recognized that Heidegger and Hojo would outlive their usefulness.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In fairness, if you're still performing safety checks while the launch is counting down, someone has done something wrong, although I forget whether Shera was particularly responsible for that or not (and we do know that she was right to be concerned).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

He’s literally a stamp.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Why Tifa/Aerith and Zack/Cloud would have been the superior set of pairings.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I just finished the Shinra Manor sequence, and the box minigame was mildly annoying, but what was really annoying was having to fight four bosses in a row before I could leave the plot sequence, including one who might have actually been fun if Yin and Yang didn't throw out instant-kill moves if they don't like how you're beating them, such that I had to use Revival Earrings to get through that one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

kliras posted:

it's also crazy how rude everyone in the town is to you when you talk to them, even the merchants

I feel like that's what makes the creepiness of the "clinic" approach work. The people in town are unfriendly. They're unfriendly because they know they're doing something hosed-up, even if they don't know exactly what it is. They've probably been nervous for the entire time they've been there that someday somebody is going to show up and say "What the gently caress? Why are you living in my family's house? What's wrong with you?" and they don't really have an answer to that other than "Shinra said it was okay and they took care of everything and not to think about it."

This is on top of the fact that that it doesn't take much thinking to realize that the goal of the clinic is absolutely not to help the patients in any way.

The ringers in Nibelheim really, really want you to go away because you being there forces them to confront the fact that they're being paid to put a nice face on an atrocity. (Actually, multiple unrelated atrocties.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Heidegger just wants to kill people. He doesn't want to do paperwork. As a result, it is essential that he not get promoted any further.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Scarlet is sort of competent if you choose not to hold things like "deliberately puts herself in positions where by rights she ought to die" against her on the grounds that she can't actually die until disc 3.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the question has been raised before of whether Hojo is actually any good at science or whether he just injects anything into anything, and then declares himself delighted with whatever the result happens to be? Super soldier? Excellent. Mutated monstrosity? Excellent. Corpses? What fascinating battle data!

On reflection, Scarlet seems good at her actual job but she breaks every single rule on the Evil Overlord List, so whether she's "competent" or not depends on whether you hold that against her.

Heidegger generally succeeds at whatever he's doing, but he mostly seems to succeed because he has huge technological, logistical, and strategic advantages, and he doesn't really seem to get that. Like, the reactor bombing incident was basically him and a team of hundreds equipped with super-advanced robots, weapons, and surveillance tech, working to lure in five guys with mostly melee weapons, and he acts like he's incredibly clever for pulling it off.

Reeve is basically the one competent, sane person holding the company together and he tells himself he's keeping everything from falling apart disastrously but he's actually just enabling Shinra's evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

If there's one significant change that I'm kind of bummed about, it's with Nibelheim. Having an entire town gaslighting Cloud and Tifa about their respective backstories while they're both struggling with each others' version of events made the whole place incredibly creepy and interesting, and I feel like Rebirth abandoning that thread was a mistake.

It would certainly have been creepier, but I think it's kind of core to Rebirth's way of doing things that you can't just throw the same mysteries at people that they now know the answers to, and expect the same reaction. They've been pretty consistent in throwing a twist in every time something like that comes up.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 12, 2024