Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Wow that’s cool, what was the loving point of adding the whisper poo poo then?????

They changed their minds probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Caidin posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Sephiroth is gonna jack the weapons and turn them from lifestream whales into their original biological mecha rear end selves at North Crater?

Seems like a decent guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yet here I am in part 2 of 3 just feeling empty and sad for Aerith despite everything and dying to know what happens next. Like man, she was the key to such light hearted moments that I worry that part 3 will be much more serious than the silly stuff all throughout this game.

Well, Part 3 can't be 100% serious. They still need Palmer to get hit by that truck!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rufus is a pathetic babyman who hates his Dad so much that he is bankrolling and militarising several organisations opposed to the company he intends to inherit all to cause trouble for his father. And it's cool.

While I think the whole endpoint of the Rufus scenes of "Oh no the dastardly Sephiroth is manipulating him (into something he was already probably gonna do anyway??)" is quite bad and unnecessary, i enjoy all the scenes of random mobile game character Rufus killed taunting him about how much he sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I don't buy that he's doing it to gently caress with his dad. That genuinely seems to be more thought about his father than he puts in on a regular basis. It feels to me more like he's trying to control all sides of the conflict to maintain some kind of order, but Glennphiroth existing is throwing a wrench into that.

Maybe.

I think my entire read on Rufus from this game is that I enjoy the scene where Glenn calls him a lonely baby who is entirely motiviated by a fairytale and childish resentment and Rufus responds with "You're right but I got all this power because of it so i'm still cool!". And i'm like yep, that's basically Rufus Shinra right there

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Morroque posted:

So Rufus was able to "win" the old war against Wutai by faking the entire interim government to be yet another arm of the Shinra Electric Company. He did this by playing Wutai off against Avalanche, which he also founded as yet another arm of the Shinra Electric Company. And the timeline-crossing Jenova-Sephiroth, who may or may not be the real Sephiroth from the Nibelhiem flashback successfully un-Jenovaing himself, decides to take a break from loving with Cloud to go and trick Rufus Shrina into declaring war against Rufus Shinra? For shits and giggles?

For all this to have happened and nobody have noticed before, Wutai would have to be comedically incompetent. ... which considering OG Wutai being little more than a tourist trap, is not entirely out of the question.

Rufus didn't win the old war, the war was already basically over but he turned (or was involved in turning) a ceasefire proposal into a political upheaval that resulted in a temp interim government of cool and mysterious strangers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can you imagine, an FF7R game with an ending that displeases people.

Anyway, this game feels like its more of the same as how things went with the first one. And I am disappointed because I wanted them to get crazy with it but also am not at all surprised because they already showed me how they would go about adapting FF7 4 years ago and they haven't really deviated much from how things went there.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Carmant posted:

Part 3 needs to explain why Regina still thinks she's hot poo poo at the end of the Queen's Blood Story even after I beat her like 5 times.

Kaiba loses to Yugi often but still thinks he’s hot poo poo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Gi tribe scenes all kick rear end. Nattak seeking counsel from Seto’s corpse and seemingly imagining (or actually getting?) a response moving right into a boat ride over the River Styx to the land of the dead where a group of people suffers in undeath under an endless dream, which cuts into Zack and Biggs talking about their muddled memories and how some force brought them back from the brink to a world that doesn’t seem to be the same. And now Biggs is like also despairing about being alive when he doesn’t think he deserves to be and doesn’t know what he’s supposed to do with his life in what reads to me as a parallel to what’s going on with the Gi.

Just a great sequence.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it might be as simple as Zack says with "Hey man, maybe you're alive because there's something only you can accomplish". That scene between Zack and Biggs definitely didn't make it sound like it was random.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

One of the reasons I think the other worlds are "not real" or somehow immaterial or spiritual in nature is the descriptions from Zack and Biggs of how they ended up there. For Zack, one second he's facing all those troops and the next they're just gone. Biggs, meanwhile, describes the feeling of the wind like it could "pull the soul from [his] body."

It's like their souls were zapped out of reality at the moments of their deaths and brought Somewhere Else.

This is why I think getting the Zack and Biggs scene in the middle of Gi tribe stuff works real well, because the Gi are residing in this sort of limbo outside the bounds of life and death and it kinda feels like something sorta similar is going on with them in this other place.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, that promise they made is kind of at the core of all Cloud’s issues.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is the time without Cloud and Tifa in the party really that long? Off the top of my head it was fairly brief in the og.

Enough time without them for it to be sorta interesting and fun that Cid's the party leader now but not long enough that it was like actually especially surprising.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Of the remaining party members Cid feels like he'd benefit from dlc presence the most because he had lot less to do that Vincent (or Zack if you want to consider him a future party member) but i'm not sure he has the charisma to pull off headlining a dlc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Queens Blood GX

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Well Hojo currently has Chadley's real body hooked up to a brain drilling machine in his lab, so we're probably in for some hosed up stuff with him in the next game.

Was that Chadley's body? I thought it may have been an earlier body from the Chadley series

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Well Chadley starts reacting when Hojo's machine starts poking at the body's brain.

Honestly my immediate thought was "Oh the Chadleys have a hivemind"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

What I don’t understand about that part is then what’s the Chadley we see in the world? Is it another hologram that looks real? Can only Cloud see him?

EDIT: Wait no he plays in the QB tournament so he must be interacting with other people. If it’s another body then why can’t Chadley just transfer himself to it or something?

Exactly! Simply more evidence for the Chadley hivemind.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

triple sulk posted:

I still think it's the lifestream

I already thought this but rewatched the ending recently and it seemed even more clearly the case to me. Like Cloud gets carried away by green whisps when Aerith pushes him out of the dream, that's lifestream poo poo. Zack and Biggs' whole spiels about how they were pushed to this world "by the wind" and heavy green wind is also how the lifestream is portrayed.

And I also feel like in general the end of the game is telegraphing so heavily "Aerith is in the lifestream helping us out and from there she can match Sephiroth and stop Meteor!!" which i'm not a fan of but explains how she's jumping around all these dream worlds and able to pop out to fight that dastardly Sephiroth if that's also the lifestream.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

My problem with the lifestream theories is that they ignore the different versions of Stamp. Every time there's a major deviation in events, a different Stamp breed appears (including the one in which Aerith and Cloud speak). Ignoring the fact that different Stamp breeds don't make sense in divergences that occur after Stamp was designed, there's no explanation for why the developers use them to indicate different continuities if all the continuities are just lifestream dreams.

New stamp shows new lifestream dream continuity. Dreams be changing their history and changing their Stamps as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like Stamp is very obviously a marker for the audience to go "heh, I can see we've swapped worlds. You can't fool me video game" but I don't see how that is evidence against lifestream dreams.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess I just don't see why dreams can't be changed from Zack making different decisions? We know he's something of a unique factor in these worlds because by his theory at least he was picked up and put here by Aerith. The whole deal Zack (and Biggs I guess?) got in being put in this world that clearly isn't there own seems to be not how these places are 'supposed' to work. So makes enough sense to me that his decisions in the final chapter are able to warp the dream.

E: But I guess in general my theory is "lifestream dreams just work exactly like multiple timeline poo poo would" anyway. It just contextualises it in a way that fits more into other stuff going on in the game, at least to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

"From another star" just sounds cooler than "from another planet"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like there's a better than even chance that space and underwater will be a full chapter each.

Also yeah, I didn't really care for the multiple worlds stuff in a big picture sense but every scene with Zack is great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Since the ghosts haven't actually changed much seems they were part of their way of doing a modernise and expand remake.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

More genuninely I expect they intended to have more major changes when they first conceived the ghosts but then changed their mind later. And while I respect the artistic process of not following up on a thing that was set up I agree it does feel like a bit of a waste.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the only obvious retcon i've noticed was zack's scene at the end of intermission. beyond that everything's felt like it's proceeding as originally planned. i could tell after the first time i finished remake that sephiroth had basically engineered that whole final slugfest with the whispers to hijack them for his own ends and that's what's happening in rebirth - it's just that they're also being countered by the white whispers presumably commandeered by aerith

we'll see how it all shakes out in the final entry but saying that the new trilogy's metacommentary on the nature of canon somehow detracts from its "emotional core" feels like sour grapes

I'm not going off anything concrete but I feel the angle they're taking on this whole "fate" thing has shifted and its less meta now and more just general ruminations on fate and destiny. Like, in Remake 'Fate' seemed to be clearly about the meta commentary on the expected path of OG FF7 but in Rebirth now the Cetra are also talking about Fate and how they couldn't defy it and its divorced from the angle Remake had. But maybe it was always more general in the first game too, I dunno.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think shed even act that concerned. Tifa seems really done with Cloud in the final scene of the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

it's less than she's angry at him and more that he's visibly insane and there's nothing she can do about it (until part 3)

Yeah, I don't think she's angry exactly but with her taking Aerith's death the worst (alongside Red) I don't think she's got it in her to keep trying to help keep this dude together.

Cloud's been visibly insane for a while now and she's being trying to support him with "Hey, you're still you. Tell me if you have any weird thoughts" but then in those final scenes she doesn't say a single word.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jimbot posted:

It probably won't happen but I think if the 3rd game starts off immediately after the ending of this game and you start off controlling Aerith that'd be baller as heck. Just transition from the Bronco flying away and Aerith watching and seeing the camera whip behind her. I'm not banking on it happening in the slightest but that'd be one bananas way to get the game's narrative hooks in you.

That is basically how they started off Rebirth with following up the Zack stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But on the other hand why are the Aerith whispers trying to keep the party away at the Forgotten Capital???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, we get its she's gotten Zack'd

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I expect the next game to continue the 7R strat of having changes and additions not really impact the general direction of the narrative, but a lot of the stuff coming up in Part 3 isn't super iconic (basically just Wutai, return to Midgar, Junon escape & Repairing Cloud's Brain) so I expect they could slot Zack and Aerith doing stuff into like any of the Weapon or Huge Materia things without causing much friction. Biggs too I guess, considering he also escaped death.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whether Zack is alive/dead

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

It's gonna be a QTE a la Leon vs Krauser, but instead of knives it's slaps.

An extended tightly choreographed QTE sequence with multiple variations like the Parade.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dream Aerith’s whole “Thanks Cloud. For everything” is like the one scene in Rebirth that feels like it’s coming from a character who has experienced ‘the original FF7’.

Forest dream Aerith is def just Rebirth Aerith though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speaking of Sephiroth’s master plan is his whole thing about “doing it for the sake of the planet” new? I admit og Sephiroth’s plan does not stick out in my mind at all so maybe I just forgot about that part of it.

I like it though, it’s the aspect of the whole duality thing they do between Aerith and Sephiroth that I think works best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ultimanias are very fake and should never be trusted, so the ‘3 Seph’ theory was always on shaky grounds.

I kinda believed that highway Seph coulda been a different guy but Rebirth has way more Seph scenes and they all seem to be the same person so it doesn’t really hold up imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know it's like, storytelling and all but thinking about Dyne and laughing really hard again

Dude shot up the Gold Saucer's security team and can't hold his daughter anymore with all the blood on his hands while Barret's standing there like 'bro don't ask me about the first game and up till now"

I like that immediately after the fight with Dyne is concluded Barret guns down a bunch of Shinra cyclists and thinks “I hope Dyne would be proud of me”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Barret should have been given Dyne's gun arm.

This!!

And a junk Hydra attack.