Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Thus far nobody seems to have credible information about the ending. A couple posters in the reddit leaks thread claim to have copies and have posted details about Gold Saucer dates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

For what it is worth that isn't true in any meaningful sense. Like you see in the trailers there's a comatose Aerith/Cloud thing going on but it doesn't go inthatdirection. I don't mind debunking stuff like that because I feel like there's nothing spoilery about saying Actually Roche Is Secretly Cid is wrong.

(Roche is secretly Vincent instead.

Is it safe to say that they don't do any dumb twists like killing off Tifa instead, or having Aerith survive at the last second?

edit: Here's some of the ending, according to a guy on reddit:

ENDING SPOILERS

As Cloud walks toward Aerith with the whispers of both sides attempting to prevent him, he's overtaken by the will of the Sephiroth and Jenova. He raises his blade above her head, and you do your best to control him, to stop him from slaying her, himself. All the while Sephiroth appears overhead, blade shining. As Cloud struggles against himself, Sephiroth dives down, and at the last second, Cloud releases and clashes his Buster Sword against Masamune, pushing Sephiroth away.

But alas, the blade of Masamune was too long, and Cloud's too slow. Sephiroth's bloodied sword is shown, and he flicks her blood off towards Cloud.

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 24, 2024

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I thought the biggest gutpunch scene was when Cloud is holding Aerith after Sephiroth stabbed her, and then she opens her eyes and tells him it's ok. For a moment I wondered "did she actually survive that?" Then you see it from Tifa's perspective and Cloud is holding Aerith's lifeless body and is putting her hand on his cheek himself, and you realize he's lost his entire drat mind.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Spermando posted:

I think the entire boss rush and the ending sapped away any emotion that scene could have. The ending FMV left me feeling like the season 2 finale of Twin Peaks.

well that means that when part 3 comes out in 25 years it will be the best poo poo you've ever seen

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Aerith's statement to Cloud that "I really like you...but then, liking is different from *liking*." Huh?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

That was kind of my initial read too--like she was saying that maybe she *could* love Cloud, but there was too much in the way. And yeah, between that, the gold saucer date, and Cloud and Tifa's moment after the Gongaga reactor, Square's definitely gearing up for Cloud + Tifa in part 3

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Azubah posted:

Tifa deserves the win too.

playing part 3 just for the steamy highwind scene

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Same, I had no problem with the dumb little sidequests because you got to spend more time with the gang

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Nucular Carmul posted:

I have to admit I was team Cloud/Aerith before Rebirth but now I understand the truth. Her song during the Loveless performance was a pretty close mirror to Yuna's song in X-2. Basically singing in front of a huge crowd of people, but the one person both girls are actually singing TO are not there to hear it. I had to go take a fuckin walk after that and sort my thoughts. Rebirth has one clear agenda: breaking the clerith ship for good lol

I feel like it's ambiguous whether it's about Cloud or Zack. Certainly the line about meeting again "at our place" indicates Cloud--she refers to the church as "our place" when you wake up in the other world right before the end

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Can't wait to play the button pressing mini game during the Cloud/Tifa scene under the highwind

chadley chiming in with advice

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cloud Jr. is the best party member of all

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

UP AND ADAM posted:

And chime in with funny ghost responses to Tifa and Cloud where appropriate please

[under the highwind]

"C'mon, Cloud, put your back into it!"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Carmant posted:

Part 3 needs to explain why Regina still thinks she's hot poo poo at the end of the Queen's Blood Story even after I beat her like 5 times.

both her first and last names mean "queen." i imagine she has a bit of a complex about it

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

my hardest pop off was probably when they showed tifa's swimsuit

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pulcinella posted:

Problem
Your poo poo is *apart*, and it's rather unbecoming of a SOLDIER and a human being. It's supposed to be the opposite of that: *together*. Compressed in a small area. To achieve a solid level of poo poo-compression, squeeze your butt-cheeks together for 30 minutes. Do something similar with the two hemispheres of your brain. Talk to people, maybe that will help.

Disco Elysium and FF7 are more alike than many want to admit

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Onmi posted:

They mentioned one of the key points they wanted to hit with Rebirth was showing Tifa and Aerith's friendship, I think they knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, I'm playing the OG again and they don't interact much. When they do, it's often some love triangle bullshit. This game though...man, I felt so bad for Tifa at the end

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

[Tifa, by Cloud's bedside]: "I hope the others are ok. I wonder what's taking them so long?"

Cid & co.: [doing 10 sidequests where you track down missing livestock]

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

Tifa is almost more of an emotional punching bag than Cloud in this version.

oh definitely. cloud's brain is still broken so he doesn't understand anything enough to get upset by it. meanwhile tifa's best friend was killed and her childhood friend/love interest is literally insane

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rhonne posted:

Dang, we're going to be spending like 100 hours running around with the group going on crazy adventures and dealing with their deep emotional issues and Cloud and Tifa are going to miss all of it. They're going to have so many in-jokes that the other two won't get.

Cid and Barret start referring to each other as "Tango" and "Sundance" and everyone laughs except for Cloud and Tifa. Meanwhile the only in-joke they have is how Cloud goes "buhhh" before noon and "guhhh" after noon

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

there's going to be an intromission DLC and it's just cloud and tifa's highwind scene

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

And AC ends with her taking care of two kids with her erratic emo boyfriend

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I might be mis-remembering, but wasn't a big part of the reason for Cloud being like that in AC because he'd just been diagnosed with a bad case of Life Cancer?

yeah. it's an understandable reason, it just gives tifa more bullshit thrown her way

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

bobjr posted:

Chadley sacrifices himself to stop Hojo from uploading himself and causing Dirge of Cerberus from happening

that's what the series truly means about "defying fate"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Sockser posted:

There's something with Japanese and "Star" also translating to "Planet," but I'm not versed in the language well enough to explain it

星 ("hoshi") can mean either star or planet

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Barret is going to be the one to punch Cloud in the face and Tifa will act like she's concerned but deep down she knew he had it coming

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

it's less than she's angry at him and more that he's visibly insane and there's nothing she can do about it (until part 3)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I'm interested to see how they handle Cloud getting his poo poo together in the next part, Tifa helping him bring his mind together in the lifestream version of Kalm is one of my favourite parts of the original.

someone pointed out that during that part, you can see a pattern in the sky in cloud's mind that looks suspiciously like the "rift" in the doomed worlds in rebirth. it could be nothing, but we also know that the devs for this game paid attention to a lot of details in the OG...

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cait sith/moogle fanfic

edit: poo poo this isn't AO3

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

maybe he knows that tifa is the key to cloud piecing his mind back together. see also: gaslighting cloud into thinking that tifa is jenova and almost killing her

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

it's very simple. Jenova is God, Sephiroth is Jesus, and the black whispers are the Holy Ghost

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Seymour is a master imposter. According to one of the most reviled episodes of the show

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The devs must have spent a lot of time in and around LA

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

He also made Vincent what he is by seducing his girlfriend crush, so Hojo evidently has some skills in other areas as well.

you'd think that would kill any attraction dead right there. who would want to be eskimo brothers with hojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Replaying the ending of Remake again, I forgot that two of the Whisper visions of the future that Cloud sees are:

1) The White Materia falling down
2) Cloud laying Aerith's body down into the water

Do we think this had any influence on Cloud's psychosis in Rebirth's ending? I mean obviously blocking out uncomfortable truths is Cloud's thing in general, but the complete lack of the water scene in Rebirth seems an even more specific omission now.

the general consensus (that I agree with for now) seems to be that part 3 will feature cloud being forced to confront that aerith is actually for-real dead, and we'll see the water burial scene once he's realized what really happened