Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just finished the game
multiverse stuff was kinda overwrought but more importantly the ending made me very very sad and i've still got tears in my eyes and I thought I was going to done like 4 hours ago and I should be asleep by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loved everything before and after the final boss fight but the fight itself felt even more like they just suddenly dropped a bombastic JRPG finale in the middle of the story than Remake’s final boss. Like, I’m not sure what fighting Bizarro Sephiroth even accomplished?

Cloud going “Yep, let’s get going” afterwards was just a loving knife to the gut tho. The game almost made it seem like Cloud was actually getting better but nope, his mind really is just utterly broken at this point.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also I know one-winged angel is the iconic Sephiroth theme and all but it didn’t really feel like it fit tonally for the Cloud+Aerith vs Sephiroth fight

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RC Cola posted:

What is the best new song and why is it jenova

it’s actually the desert rush music

I’m glad random metal songs have become a tradition in modern final fantasy games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RuBisCO posted:

It is a really interesting decision to have the immediate grief fallout of Aerith's death on Cloud's unreliable rear end because we really don't get to see much of the party process it at all. With that said, seeing Tifa completely shattered over the loss did hit me amidst all the confusion.

I think everything came together really well in the last scene with the Bronco being repaired. They did an amazing job fleshing out how close Aerith and Tifa were and seeing Tifa completely destroyed with grief while Cloud is just off in his own world, not able to comfort her in any way, was what really got me.

Rhonne posted:

Remake had that one on one chat with a party member at Aerith's house near the end, and Rebirth had the date, I wonder what the big bonding moment in the third game will be? A final chat just before the return to the Northern Crater for the final fight?

Under the Highwind with Barrett

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they want shady posted:

Finished the game last night. Count me in as another person confused by what had happened going into the jenova fight but I more-or-less got it as it went along. Didn't read the aesthetic cues right so I thought the parrying into death had to do with the merging of worlds rather than Cloud's crazy rear end.

I think it's kinda a mixture of both? Stuff like Cloud seeing the rift in the sky when it isn't there reads like Cloud's getting mental interference from other worlds.

Harrow posted:

I regret reading this thread because I think I've been talked into believing the "Aerith's alive in another timeline" theory over "Cloud is seeing Aerith's ghost" theory and I gotta be honest, I really, really hate that. Like a lot. To the degree that I find it difficult to put into words how dumb I think that is, both as an ending for this game and a setup for the next.

I don't know if I buy that theory tbqh

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also the setup is deliberately ambiguous so it's not really worth definitively picking an explanation and getting mad about it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

i do, and it's good

the aerith cloud interacts with in the ending is the dead one for one track, but in another, cloud successfully diverted the blade and she wakes up. zack's final line about "why can't worlds unite again" (reunion, in other words) leaves open the possibility that we might be able to bring one over to the other

Wakes up from what? If she didn’t get stabbed what is she waking up from

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the sequence beforehand in the doomed world has Cloud repeatedly being offered multiple choices and then having that choice immediately nullified, the same thing happens regardless. We then see Zack in multiple worlds making different decisions on whether to try to save Cloud or Biggs, only for either option to end with the exact same result.
Cloud saved Aerith but she still died, because Sephiroth is manipulating fate

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think people forget that Sephiroth wanted the party to defy fate and kill the whispers in Remake. It wasn't just "hell yeah gently caress fate", there was a layer of uncertainty about the potential consequences. Now in Rebirth we see that he's replaced the Whispers with ones that answer directly to him and is using them to manipulate things to fall in line with his big plan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

Okay. Just finished it. Team Aerith is a force ghost, Cloud is really seeing her, but he’s so mentally cracked that he thinks he saved her and she’s physically alive.

yeah the whole speech from Aerith about how “death isn’t the end, but that doesn’t make it any less difficult” feels like setup for this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was initially a bit bummed about Birth of a God not coming in for the Bizarro Sephiroth fight but honestly it was probably the right move. It wouldn’t fit as well for this part of the story and is better off being saved for the final battle at the northern crater

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

Tifa is almost more of an emotional punching bag than Cloud in this version.

and it’s still going to get worse before it gets better :smith:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Remake/Rebirth time that’s like 40 hours

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only thing that really bugs me to all of this is Hojo

He is *comically* evil from wanting dog loving to turning people into mushroom zombies and keeping horrors unspeakable. Every scene with him is the party disgusted at him, or the Shinra heads going 'god gently caress you Hojo you're so creepy"
Why is he even employed??? Dude's literally cackling in the helicopter about the end times and Rufus is just like 'yeah I guess I'll keep bankrolling this crazy person'

he’s employed by cartoonishly evil people

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rhonne posted:

So why were the black robes after the protorelics in Nibelheim? Was it just Sephiroth wondering why the hell Cloud was spending all his time collecting these things? It was pretty surreal seeing Sephiroth and Gilgamesh standing next to each other. Wish they had interacted a bit more before Sephiroth poofed away

Sephiroth knows Cloud will do all side quests so he’s like “get it over with already so I can have my reunion”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shiroc posted:

I'm not sad Aerith is dead, because she's not
I'm not happy Aerith is alive, because she's not

Aerith's death hangs over the original game so much and we just passed through that scene and we don't actually know what happened because of multiple timelines maybe having partially merged? Or maybe it's all in Cloud's increasingly fragmented perception? How is that sour grapes?

i'm sad because she's dead and tifa lost her best friend and cloud is so checked out from reality that he's unable to provide even the smallest amount of comfort to her

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cloud is seeing Aerith's lifestream force ghost but his brain is too broken to process that it means she's dead.
Aerith gave a whole speech in the temple of ancients about how death isn't the end and people live on in the lifestream but that doesn't make it any less of a loss, and she was explicitly trying to make Cloud in particular understand this but since Sephiroth was in full control of him at the time he completely ignored her.

Shiroc posted:

Aerith didn't save the world from beyond the grave in the original game
yeah she did

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loved the ending

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the ending was good regardless of where they take it in the next game. It was really ballsy to depict loss and grief from the perspective of a main character not processing those things, and it made the moment hit hard in a different way from the original game. I wonder if people are confusing themselves into thinking Cloud’s nonchalant behavior at the end is supposed to be reassuring as opposed to alarming— you can hear Tifa’s heart break when Cloud just stands up and says “let’s get going” by the lake and he’s seemingly oblivious to this. Having Tifa be the one most viscerally suffering from grief as opposed to Cloud is great, it broadens the focus from just the protagonist losing his love interest to emphasize what Aerith meant to the group as a whole, how much everyone had come to rely on her and how lost they are now. Cid asking “what did Aerith even do?” and everyone just being at a loss for an answer, unable to be sure if her death even had any meaning. Meanwhile Cloud gives a casual goodbye to an Aerith only he can see, promises he’ll stop Sephiroth, and walks right back into Sephiroth’s hands like he never even left.

Like I expected that I’d be sad if Aerith died again but the ending made me sad about Aerith’s death in ways I didn’t expect and that imo is a big accomplishment

The only thing I’m not too hot on is the Bizzaro Sephiroth fight. There are parts of it I like, the ambience when Zack is thrown out and Cloud is left alone with this ominous monstrosity is really good, but it felt like they tossed in a big bombastic climax out of obligation more than anything

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 28, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

The problem is that I don’t think Cloud is hallucinating her! Not in the psych ward way, at least. The one thing that’s clear in the ending is that Aerith hasn’t just ceased to exist - Nanaki clearly reacts to her presence, and all the glitches and sky tears and multiverse poo poo imply that there’s some cross-dimensional bleeding going on. That undermines the Batshit Cloud interpretation.

no it doesn't. because whether the Aerith Cloud's seeing is a lifestream ghost (it's probably this) or a vision from another dimension, or just a straight-up hallucination, it doesn't actually change the fact that Cloud's behavior is very unnatural and off-putting, and it's presented as such to the player. His friends are around him heartbroken and crying, and he's just chilling. He doesn't do anything to comfort Tifa and in fact actively makes the situation even more painful for her. Whether he's literally off in his own little world or just figuratively, it still remains that Cloud is completely alienated from the rest of the party's grief.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 28, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also the first real scene between Cloud and Tifa in Rebirth is her angrily challenging one of his delusions and the last scene between them is her quietly accepting whatever he's doing because she's too emotionally defeated to even try anymore

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I imagine the Cloud/Tifa stuff is probably gonna reach a boiling point at the first north crater visit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my one real disappointment with this game is that the actual manor part of shinra manor is completely blocked off.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I always interpreted stuff like the Weapons to be a kinda auto-immune response rather than the planet acting with any sort of malice or conscious intent.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think there could’ve stood to be a scene in between to show Bugenhagen starting to rethink his assumptions, as is he just goes straight from being dismissive to sending Naniki on his way to save the planet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wonder how they’ll approach the open world areas. The Great Glacier and Wutai will definitely be new regions and we’ll probably be able to explore underwater, but what about all the parts of the map that we’ll be revisiting? Like, are they just gonna be the same maps repopulated with new towers and intel challenges or what?

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 3, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hope we finally get justice for sapphire weapon. I wanna fight the cool octopus flower snake or whatever the gently caress it’s supposed to look like

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope they give the dinosaur tank the full Hell House treatment.

edit: lol I completely forgot about the enemy from the original that’s just a woman in a swimsuit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ruby Weapon was in the Corel Region in the original game so either
A) Corel will have two Weapons
or
B) Instead of the original line-up of Weapons being freed from the north crater, the whale ones will mutate into the iconic designs when Meteor is summoned

or I guess they could just move Ruby but that’d be weird

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think a big goal of the Remake trilogy is to make FF7 feel just as big and impactful today as it did in 1997 and I think the added mysteries and complications are doing a great job at that, controversy and all. I’ll never forget the sheer dread and anticipation I felt going into Rebirth’s finale, not knowing if they would go through with killing Aerith or not.
People are now debating whether Aerith’s really gone for good or if we’ll be able to revive her in the end…just like they were in 1997! “If you just do X at Y you’ll be able to get Aerith back in your party” is one of the classic video game myths right alongside Mew hiding under the truck. It’s awesome. A faithful 1:1 remake or a straight expansion on top of what was already there could’ve never done this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

imo - Mysteries are good. Confusion is not.

this is reductive imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Rebirth ends in more or less the same place it starts in - timelines aren't working quite right, Cloud is lying, Tifa knows, Sephiroth is scheming.

At the beginning of the game, has a foggy memory and getting occasional headaches. At the end of the game, Cloud can have his will completely hijacked by Sephiroth at a moment's notice and his entire sense of self on the verge of breaking
Tifa starts the game by angrily challenging one of Cloud's delusions and getting help from Aerith to try and find out what is happening to him. She ends the game in complete silence as Cloud talks complete nonsense, too exhausted and heartbroken to push back, having lost the only person she was able to confide in.
At the beginning of the game, the party is following a trail of crumbs left by Sephiroth. At the end of the game, they have reached the end of the trail of crumbs to a box propped up by a stick with a block of cheese under it, and Cloud is telling everyone that we need to go grab the cheese RIGHT NOW.

Are they complete narrative arcs that come together in a satisfying way? No, and they don't have to be because this is the middle chapter of the story. its job is to lay all the pieces for the finale and it's done that job. If anything the climactic final battle that is there is excessive and gets in the way of the narrative.
If they had ended at the North Crater it would have caused awkward pacing issues with the third game having to reestablish a bunch of things while the Weapons are already there as an urgent threat pushing the plot to get going. Ending with a foreboding note that the party is heading towards catastrophe is a good way to set up the finale while allowing the third game room to breathe.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 8, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

If they'd actually made a choice it would at least have been a relatable moment for players - if she dies we get a similar sense of loss and grief as the original and if she lives we get to feel like we've beaten back fate. Going with some weird multiversal ghost overlapping realities thing is barely comprehensible bullshit that nobody can possibly relate to on an emotional level.

i thought the ending was really really sad and it made me cry harder than the original game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also aerith came back as a ghost in the original game too, it was kinda a pivotal thing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

making weapons for shinra is easy, just mash the “more mako” button until you make a bigger boom or the planet dies, whichever happens first

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in the original the only Sephiroth clone that made it to the Reunion was one that Hojo considered a reject and when he realized this he threw a temper tantrum

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have no clue, but I understood that Aerith to be the transcendent lifestream ghost Aerith that knows the future and presumably saved Zack and Biggs in another possible world. She dissolves into lifestream after the fight and talks about being saved in the third person, so I don’t think she’s the Aerith Cloud saved (assuming Cloud actually saved a possible Aerith). I have no idea which Aerith Cloud is talking to at the very end of the game.

the Aerith at the end of the game is the same Aerith that died and Cloud is seeing her spirit. The sad “goodbye” at the end doesn’t make much sense otherwise.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be pretty out of character for Barrett and Tifa to be totally cool with executing wounded enemies that can’t fight back after a lot of time was spent diving into the guilt they feel for the casualties from their fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jiro posted:

To be fair it's also in character for them to just let a person who's suffering massive mental trauma lead them around and let him fight and wield crazy powerful magic, while he winces in pain clutching his head, and straight up wounded the girl he likes(?) because a hallucination told him to.

Barrett has lost confidence in his own ability to be a leader and desperately wants Cloud to continue being the guy he can rely on. Tifa is terrified that if she says the wrong thing Cloud will go off the deep end, and she’s probably right about that.
there’s just not really any good way for them to handle Cloud’s issues with the knowledge available to them besides just hoping that taking down Sephiroth will make it better.