Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a good question, perhaps they wanted to downplay the severity of what happened

Also I might be misremembering this but did anyone else notice the halls in temple of the ancients were called 'remake' 'rebirth' and then 'resurrection'

So maybe the third part won't be 'reunion' after all like a lot of people were assuming, but 'resurrection'?

Finally, I'll be able to use 4 tissues to get my revive materia to level 4 and bring her back, just as the ancient texts revealed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Morroque posted:

My interpretation of the ending lends towards something more intertextual. The FF7 remake was essentially a game they were bullied into making. It was a very strange kind of sensation, since they likely never quite understood where the impulse came from and probably thought the original was always fine as-is. They never had to deal with the rough mouthfeel of the original English translation, which always promoted this sense of "a good first draft; now go and do it again." The market pressure to "remake" this thing seemed strange, so a lot of the themes of the first remake game relates to getting all ponderous about it.

Meanwhile, the key line in Rebirth is when Cloud talks about his illness. "I feel like there's three different people inside of me, and I can't tell where I begin and they end." That applies to FF7 as a whole. By branching out even in the small ways that they have done so far, they've blown to bits what FF7 even is, or is not. Where does the "real" FF7 begin or end? By the end of the game, not even the characters themselves can agree on what did or did not happen.

What I don't know is how they intend to write themselves out of this jam. A lack of consensus reality is a difficult problem to solve. I know they have something in mind, because they're still using the same child actors for Marlene, Young Aerith, and such. Since those actors can only really be child actors for so long, and modern gamedev goes on for much longer than that, anything recorded with them had to have been done all-at-once. So the broad strokes of what is going to happen was written out a long time ago in the very least; just a question of if they'll stick the landing.

That's an interesting interpretation, but there are a few wrinkles in your evidence, I think. For a start, as far as I can tell, they absolutely did want to remake 7, and weren't satisfied with a number of elements (like not feeling satisfied about how well they'd got across Aerith and Tifa's friendship). I think that comes across in every part of the games - these are absolutely passion projects, to a degree I don't think I've ever seen in AAA games before.

And then for Cloud's line you've picked out, that actually is from the original, although I think it did get mangled in the translation. This is about him feeling alienated from himself first and foremost.

I don't think it's a death knell for your interpretation, but it's probably not what I'm into.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

stuker posted:

given that aerith and red xiii are in the same chopper (the one zack blows up, which i still find a hilariously questionable decision) i assume the rest of the party was all together

I think Red causes the helicopter with him and Aerith to crash, Zack uses a pole to take out a different one coming to clean up the mess.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm at the Date on my hard mode playthrough and obviously Loveless is foreshadowing parts of Cloud's story, but one thing I noticed the first time I saw it was that the ballet at the start has a strange duality to it, where you see Jesse and Alphreid dancing joyfully together and in anguish kept apart, with the scene cutting between shots of both. It feels like that relates to what we're seeing at the end, with Cloud and Aerith...but I'm not sure how to interpret what it might mean for the final ending. It could line up with Cloud wandering, looking for Aerith and leaving Tifa behind before eventually returning to her, which would line up with Advent Children, I suppose.

Also, the way the voice actors managed to be very slightly stiff in their stage acting really shows how amazing they are the rest of the time.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Necrothatcher posted:

Also, after like 200 hours across two games I have absolutely no idea wtf Sephiroth wants to do.

Sephiroth, like most people in this game, wants to gently caress Cloud.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This game seems to have leaned into him and Scarlet having weird but distinct laughs, the Gyahaha vs Kyahaha.

Another way these games rule.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Having to fight multiple iterations of two super bosses in the advanced six person is killing me. That's so many times I have to fight King Zu, does anyone have any tips beyond putting him to sleep? I got through the first set but having to do this over and over...

I need to get the Gotterdammerung, don't I?

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if they're even going to do the "Corneo kidnaps Yuffie and Elena" plot at all considering how different Wutai is in this version of the story.

I'd be shocked if they don't, tbh. I really do want to kill him and Gus, honestly more than the Turks. Yuffie's 14 you creeps!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, he's 21 in current day OG/Remake/Rebirth, Nibelheim was 5 years prior where he dunked Sephiroth into the lifestream.

Fun fact for you: in the OG, during the Nibelheim incident Cloud had just 1 materia equipped: pre-emptive strike. It rarely kicked in except for when it mattered most.

HanSephiroth struck first.

Cloud just got his limit break, a thing that canonically exists in that world and presumably explains Dyne's boss fight gimmick???

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bow wow wow, bow wow wow.

You're right and I am ashamed to have said otherwise.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

why did they change how the temple of the ancients is the black materia and Aerith says it's fake but then it's not

That Aerith quote has actually been staying with me as well since then. I'm currently doing Chadley's challenges so I haven't reached the end again but I don't understand what was actually intended with that line.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

No, Dyne in the OG, when being told Marlene is alive, instantly responds with "I'm going to kill her so she can go to be with her mother." The dude was absolutely batshit. If anything he's a little less batshit in this one because he doesn't lead with "My daughter is alive? I must free her from the burden of being alive!!"

He's crazier in the original, but also more lucid (or at least, I thought so). He's in charge of the prison by way of being too dangerous for anyone else to risk challenging, he knows Barret and why he's there. He chooses to die by his own hand because he knows the other option is him and Barret keep fighting because he can't abandon his quest....but his quest is monstrous.

It was a highlight of the og for me, and one of two disappointments in Rebirth. The other is Shinra mansion. Just give me the upper floor, I cannot understand that choice.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm not sure if this was always there and I only realised what it might mean after beating the game but the tear in the sky, or something shaped like it seems to be present in when I look up. I noticed it even I was going to the Temple of the Ancients, but it's in there too.

It feels... ominous. Like it's not fully realised but it's present.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ZiegeDame posted:

One thing that is clear to me after seeing most of the dates is that, while Cloud may be starting to develop feelings for Aerith, that boy has been down bad for Tifa since he was 8.

Hell, same.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gologle posted:

I think Aeris's are like dogs in that they just sort of do things arbitrarily

They can't look up, that's why Sephiroth keeps getting them from above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Okay, I've finished the game a second time, and I'm definitely still confused about some parts. Some of that feels like it should get resolved in the next game (Zack and Ur-Aerith), but some of it feels like I'm supposed to understand it but there's too much noise to get at the signal.

The White Whispers try to stop the party going ahead - is that because the ur-Aerith knows if they get there she'll die? Their motivation is completely opaque to be.

The Wall of Whispers come down - which is a mixture of white and black Whispers? Or maybe just black...but then three black whispers hit it, making an opening that the party keeps open for Cloud to go through. I think that what's happening there is Sephiroth wants Cloud to see Aerith die, but is concerned that maybe if they're all there they'll be able to stop him? Unclear. They respond to Cloud saying her name...is it him imposing his will in opposition to Sephiroth?

He gets there and a mixture of black and white whispers make him raise his sword, reenacting the original. Seph jumps down and Cloud...stops his blade? Aerith is kneeling and upright, the masamune is broken. Then there's a glitch, and she's dead, the masamune coated in her blood. We see him awaken one Aerith who encourages him to fight - Tifa and the others see a version of him holding her with a pool of blood underneath her. It's not clear if this is Cloud hallucinating or not, but it might be a version of Aerith trying to help him keep it together by pretending to be alive.

You defeat Jenova Life Clinger, and then Sephiroth in his Birth of a God form. Super! Then you and Aerith (not sure if that's the ur-Aerith from the dreams but I think so) fight and defeat him. And he seems genuinely put out by that for a moment, then he laughs and flies off.

They're at the pool in the city of the Ancients, and after a glitch Cloud sees Aerith there as well. Tifa explicitly does not, but does see him standing with a space left for Aerith. This could be this world's Aerith trying to help Cloud keep it together? But then he sees the scar in the sky that the others don't, so maybe he's caught between realities...

There still seems to a difference between the Jenova posing as Sephiroth at the City of the Ancients who calls Cloud a puppet and the one between worlds who wants him to understand and lend him his strength, but I'm not sure. It could be lending his strength in the reunion after all. I'm also not sure how Cloud ended to with the black materia (I guess from defeating Jenova but we never see that) or why it merges with the Buster sword.

I do not regret any of the time I spent with this game but I would like to figure out what I think is going on with some of that, even in the abstract. Curious what other people think, especially about different Sephiroths and whether Aerith at the end is a ghost from this world or something else.