Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How the gently caress am I going to live without my black mage in part 3 :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I definitely think Cloud saved Aerith in one of the realities, but it's not this one. I think she's doing the same holy schtick and it's just nice that Cloud can still see her and that she was able to manifest for a bit as a ghost or whatever.

I really hope they find a way to make her still playable*, I love the implementation of a powerful wizard in these games. She's so loving strong and flitting between two or three points on a map while poo poo can't touch you, throwing out hellish spam and double spells is just primo wizard feel and not many games get it right.

* Not in main party, she's dead and doing a multiverse/time bullshit would be lame. If she links up with Zach in the life stream or something that would be nice. Also have them get married at the end and make it like the close of FF15.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cloud going full Sliders in the next one could be fun lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hatty posted:

Are people that haven’t played VII able to parse any of this? Like if I didnt play the original and didn’t know anything about Zack I don’t think Id care that he lived or died that much or how him being alive in a timeline/other dimension impacts anything

My mate is playing it and it's his second final fantasy, since the first one he played was 16. He gets that there is meta stuff happening but tbh he isn't any more in the dark than anyone else. He saw the whispers in remake and texted me "lol were these dementor ghosts in the OG?"

The story is basically the same. Even with the blocked sword Aerith is dead now. We're in the same place vaguely and the last game will probably explain it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

My fiancee (who had so little knowledge of FF7 before this that she didn't even know the big Aerith spoiler) watched me play through both Remake and Rebirth and the only things that she found confusing are also things I found confusing, it's just sometimes for different reasons.

For example, the reveal that Zack lived post-Whisper fight in Remake was "who's this guy?" for my fiancee and "whoa, Zack isn't dead?" for me. Raises questions either way but just different questions depending on what you already know.

Yeah the only memories I have of FF7 are from maybe 2004 when I last replayed it. When Barret goes home I was like "ah no this is bad I remember this being bad" then it gets to Dyne and I'm like "ahhh, poo poo."

E: for some reason I was always convinced that the world ended at the end of FF7, all the humans basically died and Red was the only thing alive because of dog magic or something. When I saw some clips of advent children and heard it was set after the story I was like what the gently caress. I think that prompted the replay.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 1, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The implication at the time was that sephiroth failed because meteor didnt strike and also he was extremely dead, but Holy may or may not have killed humanity off in the process of protecting the planet, with the ambiguity that Red and other survivors of his kind might have been left as the only sapient life.

Yeah. I thought I was a moron and read into the ending too much since I was a kid when it came out but it definitely leaves you to think about the fate of everyone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frankly, this game's weird open ending is just in line with how 7 itself finishes up.

I like it. I prefer to be left with stuff to think and talk about. This doesn't seem to be the case for most people on social media rn though lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I mean the game definitely left me feeling like everyone got wiped out and dog magic is real, but as I said I was a kid. Killing a main character and party member was also wild to me so why the hell wouldn't they consume all life (like not even in a nasty way, just in a reset nature way) when Holy or the lifestream gently caress back.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phantasium posted:

It's because Bugenhagen explicitly calls out the possibility of Holy wiping out humanity when you take him to the city of the ancients, saying it's up to the planet to decide what's bad for it.

Yeah that's right! I didn't think I just invented holy or the planet potentially wiping the slate clean. It made sense for red to be protected or transported to safety given he's from a special race of dogs that protect the planet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I agree that Sephiroth is loving with Cloud to drink all the sadness juice, but I think it's going to come back and bite him. He's definitely creating new pockets of, or whole realities to do it. He says so when he shows off his nasty works. So in creating this apparently extra sad scenario for Cloud I think he's created Epic Aerith. She's going to wreck his rear end in another cool scene where your hp/mp restore after a hard close-up on her hair tie.

The reality where Cloud deflects the blow could also be unintentional by Sephiroth. He's opened up possibilities and Cloud and Aerith are both very powerful. He admits he's underestimated them (I took this is being directed at both, not just Cloud) before the final battle.

There's also the fact that Zach participates in the fight and overlaps to Cloud for a boost. If Aerith is back in 3 maybe there will be overlaps by accident, or by willpower on the part of the heroes.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jetrauben posted:

Incidentally, in relation to the whole shift from 90s environmentalism, I kinda appreciate how everyone in the party is disgusted with Cosmo Canyon and how it's basically just a self-help destination peddling cliches and no-hope passivity while relying largely on tourism and (through Bugenhagen) stale out-of-date resting on their laurels rather than being framed as The Enlightened Solution.

I laughed out loud when the concierge ushered us to a group seminar

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aerith is gonna come back Gandalf style

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They have made two outstanding games and as long as the last one is the same calibre I'm not fussed over sales chat

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

It's a pretty unpopular opinion but I actually think FFVII Remake is a pretty good jumping-on point for the series as a whole. People insist that you have to play the original to understand it, but I disagree--in fact, I suspect anything that would be confusing if you hadn't played the original is confusing on purpose. (Obviously there are references you won't get if you haven't played the original, but those are fun references, not critical story elements.) I know multiple people who've played Remake without playing the original and loved it, one of whom was sold on the JRPG genre as a whole by it (our good buddy VideoGames).

But it seems like the fanbase as a whole is committed to scaring new people away from the Remake trilogy, which is unfortunate because these games (especially Rebirth) are absolutely peak Final Fantasy.

Same. I know people who are either too young to have bothered with 7 or just didn't play it and there is absolutely nothing stopping them enjoying remake. In fact it makes for some really fun conversations about stuff like the dementors.

The way rebirth handled a few of the big scenes was frankly poo poo (I still loved the game don't get me wrong), so I feel like the original made those bits worse because they were done ham handedly for reasons I don't understand.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I was actually pissed off at how bad the Nibelheim intro is. Not in a "they ruined it!" way. I just can't understand why they made that many weak choices in row for what is absolutely the big nostalgia money shot and probs the most defining image from FF7.

Yeah I guess to make the game longer, but ffs that's what the millions of minigames are for.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

It is okay for a game to be slower and meandering if that is the intention of the game. There are plenty of games that thrive on that. FF7Reb has some missteps with it but they are relatively few and far between. (The lingering crawl being a big one.)

Discussing FF7 vs the original also runs into the fact that no matter what the cutscenes are going to be longer. Even if they were 1-for-1 they are now going to have actual cinematography, body language and voice acting. You can change nothing else about the game and that will significantly change the pacing of scenes.

All that detail and stuff is fantastic. The Cutscene could be longer and that's ok too. The issue with the Sephiroth scene is that it plods. It's not slower, it's painful. The violence is bafflingly stupid. It goes so far out of its way to present that reveal in the worst way possible it's hard to understand if there was any artistic intent at all. It seems like ten people sat around going "oh put this in haha" then did what they said without review.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like Dyne maybe goes more psycho than in the OG?

I wonder if this is just him being fully voiced and having an expressive face? I'd actually forgotten about the Dyne plot and had a massive sad face when I arrived at Corel and it came flooding back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think Cloud is just beginning to believe