Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only thing that really bugs me to all of this is Hojo

He is *comically* evil from wanting dog loving to turning people into mushroom zombies and keeping horrors unspeakable. Every scene with him is the party disgusted at him, or the Shinra heads going 'god gently caress you Hojo you're so creepy"
Why is he even employed??? Dude's literally cackling in the helicopter about the end times and Rufus is just like 'yeah I guess I'll keep bankrolling this crazy person'
having a total freak of a perv on staff because he gets good results and is good for the bottom line, as long as you silo him in a place where he won't run into other employees a lot, is actually very realistic for a massive company, especially in the tech sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

bobjr posted:

Cid DLC but it's a business management Sim where you're running his business. Shera can be around too.
dude gets sloshed, and you have to get him home with gyro controls

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i do hope they tweak combat a little bit so you can actually tell when there are multiple targets on a single enemy, and you don't keep hitting the wrong ones on accident - and maybe order your party to target the same part as you too. would also makes the weapons more interesting to fight

it's weird that this didn't appear to get tuned more between remake and rebirth

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
max went back and forth said it was fairly confusing, so there weren't necessarily any fixed takes he offered. on top of the fact that his opinion kept changing or developing as he was thinking about it, so it's not something straightforward idiots can use as ammunition

but there's probably going to be a three-hour video quoting him a few weeks from now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think the worse part of all of this is that i wouldn't be surprised if nomura et al just retroactively change what the ending of this game was supposed to mean, doesn't exactly feel like it's all planned out in any sensible way from start to finish

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Harrow posted:

That's pretty much how this whole trilogy has been sold so far and what the creators have repeatedly said in interviews, so yeah. Especially after Rebirth I'm inclined to believe them that the overall plot will still essentially be the plot of FF7, just expanded and with this new multiverse element added in.
aren't we on record with advent children and ever crisis being not just canon but also "integrated" components of the remake? i don't know what the implications of this will be, especially as someone who never played ever crisis, but sounds like it's at least ff7++, even though i'm not sure how much advent children expanded the lore

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't know how it's possible to gauge the "average" reaction to the game's story and ending. most of the opinions you see are probably just going to be the loudest ones, and youtube and twitch culture don't help with that problem

the important thing is just making up your own mind and enjoying it on your own terms

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we're like five minutes away from people being burnt out on serious fan theories and just going for chadley and kyrie pulling all the strings as a meme any second now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the way aerith "woke up" and looked at cloud definitely felt like it was animated to look eerie as hell

a24rith is my headcanon

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah cloud losing his marbles and the game doing a fairly straightforward job of showing it is separate from the whole multiverse of materia i'm pretty checked out on mentally and narratively

it's cool that they respect your intelligence enough to show someone acting erratically without completely beating you over the head with it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there's also an on-going documentary series on the square enix channel for those who haven't seen it btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZYUQ1_jmQ

playlist link for the full thing (so far): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A8F9VO2BGPIBlPKz4jBs8r5SX7NJNai

there's no japanese episode four focused on the voice actors so far on the jp channel. hopefully it'll be available with translations

i find it hilarious how nomura is shot and framed compared to everyone else in it, but i won't spoil it for you

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's also crazy how rude everyone in the town is to you when you talk to them, even the merchants

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

bewilderment posted:

I assume rebuilding Nibelheim as it was allowed Shinra to maintain an easy official story.

There was an incident at the Nibelheim reactor and monsters were increasingly attacking the town. In a fierce attack where many lost their lives, including the brave SOLDIERs and grunts, the monsters were finally beaten back, and Shinra stepped in to administer the town directly and help it recover.

The 'lie' is minimal, only the source of the deaths - Sephiroth rather than the fiends - changes. and Shina salvages the best out of a bad situation.
the game has a long line of incidents with shinra going from covering them up > acknowledging them and basically giving five bucks to a charity as a tax write-off

it's a corporation that adopts the typical model of moving from opposition to co-opting the cause of reconciliation. sometimes all you have to show for it is a basic memorial like the one in gogaga

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
one of the many weird aspects of the boss fights at the end is that it's supposed to feel consequential when you get hit with all of these 9999 attacks, but reprieve just makes you go "huh?" and use prayer or cure+magnify after

the game does a lot of weird stuff in combat at the end it doesn't really explain to you, and i just healed through it. hopefully it's a little better in ff7 redistribution (of capital)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
spare a thought for someone who definitely made a whole theory video out of this stuff before the patch

https://twitter.com/Elchit9/status/1778390149103010251

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah zhuge/daniel is legit, he does market intelligence for videogames these days

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there literally still has yet to be an actual good deal on a ps5, which is actually crazy. i got the ps5 slim after waiting, and it was basically at msrp. then sony discounted it by like a hundred bucks the month after, sure feel appreciated as a consumer. no bundle deals either

and even if the ps5 slim were an amazing deal, you'd still have to play through remake first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
not that it's anywhere near as important, but they could also not have done less with the design of the remake+rebirth bundle

:effort:

at least the price was solid