Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Warning: Apparently loving nerds are the worst and there are tons of post about Cloud + Tifa versus Cloud + Aerith: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/1aputg8/leaks_discussion_thread_and_subreddit_policy_on/?sort=new

Also warning: Endgame is alluded to there.

Stuff has also been leaking through 4chan but that place is awful and also unreliable.

The big thing seems to be a private discord where someone finished the game and asked people not to leak out information. Someone on reddit brought up the endgame from there, but then deleted the comment when everyone told him he went against the discord rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah some people, myself included, get the same enjoyment even after spoiling. I will ready everything that happens this week. I will enjoy the game. I will watch streamers react and enjoy that just as well. That's the life I chose.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aeris is in the game

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The things that haven’t been full on deconfirmed: Aeris dies but then wakes up in Zack’s world. Towards the end of the game it’s revealed that there are black ghosts and white ghosts with different motives. IMO Backs up some of that Lifestrem black / lifestream white short story. .

The thing people keep lightly talking about but no details or enough to run with: Sephiroth merges the two realities. Not sure how that would work if Aerith waking up is the stinger.

Cool but debunked: Cloud parries the hit and directs it into him, but the blade still makes its way through him and into Aeris.

Seems like the game is just so drat big that it’s going to take the people with early copies 60-80 hours to get there. Though I don’t know how easily the fmvs can be ripped.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did the death of that reddit thread really kill the passing of leaks?

I don't know how to navigate 4chan and plan on never learning.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

More detailed explanations of the end are being posted:

quote:

First it's Jenova Lifeclinger with Aerith's Theme playing...then swaps between different pairs of characters as you take down its wings and head. Then the final battle in multiple stages:

Sephiroth Human vs. Zack and Cloud

Sephiroth Reborn is loads of phases and characters swap all the time. Starts with Z&C and you destroy the orange weak point thing at the bottom of it.

Then it swaps to the rest of the party, can't remember which three now, think it's Cait, Barret and Red against Bahamut Arisen Whisper. You take a third off then Reborn's wings start healing Bahamut it so you take out one wing, then take off next third of Bahamut health then kill other wing, then finally kill Bahamut.

Zack solo against Reborn's chest (the main body). There's some like magic circle on the floor with a big pink ribbon in it that acts as like a shield to some degree, probably symbolises Aerith is watching over him. Tifa, Barret, Yuffie against the yellow core, which has a Barrier until you destroy both wings (again). This kills Reborn.

Cloud and Aerith vs. Human Sephiroth

Gives me an idea that Part 3 has Cid fly us on Ed Force One instead of the Highwind.

Well the first definition I can see is "the junction of two rivers" ... pretty obvious what it's referring to.

Nope, think he's fully thinking she's there. Not even a force ghost, just her normal self. Invisible to everyone else.

Wish I'd hired you as a PA a week ago :D

Errrr, think I need to see it again but pretty sure it was to get Holy from Aerith but she gives it to Cloud in that world which somehow transfers to him having it in main world? Idk.

Oooh, another juicy thing no one has said which I forgot is that the Black Materia you get from the Temple, at least according to Cait Sith, is a fake and not the real one. Then Sephiroth says it's actually a key to the real Black Materia which is located between worlds like in the space area whatever it's called. Maybe the key one is the one Nanaki might give to the Gi and the main one Seph will use to cast Meteor.

Me and you both, and I've seen it :D

I genuinely don't think he's from the future btw, think this is genuinely just a retelling and not a sequel. A few things throughout the game sort of debunk that theory, unlike in Remake where it seems like Aerith etc. knows what might happen, didn't get any of that this time.

I'm fine with what they're doing but I don't like that everything from the first game could potentially be a red herring. Guess we just have to wait for Part 3, but I think using the Zack and whisper stuff to give more color to the same events and the story still being completed by Advent Children is just not as interesting to me, because I thought Remake was just so well done.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well no one will stop you from telling us more!

My questions:

- Is the City of the Ancients like a full fledged area? Not that the original was big or anything.

- Does Bizarro Sephiroth look faithful to his OG design?

- What is the actual final shot of the game?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah honestly if everyone is waiting to see if Aeris lives or dies and your answer is Well she still dies but we aren't going to show it happen you better have some clever poo poo up your sleeve.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You easily can fit in Zack stuff is the life stream and Marlene is an ancient and it works with everything FF7 universe as we know it. But, again, what the gently caress did defeating the whispers (in Remake) actually do then?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah before the ending details started to leak and they were being judged solely on the Nibelheim flashback they looked like god drat infallible geniuses. Which, still, the music is the mvp regardless of what happens with the story.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You don't even go to Rocket Town in part 2.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They changed things up, you don’t go to Rocket Town nor do you fight Palmer there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Finally got some end boss screens:

Jenova Lifeclinger:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...22ae207abba126&

Sephiroth Reborn:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GHMWQGAWUAAGlyU?format=jpg&name=large

Bahamut Arisen:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...249a0c6c65fc5e&

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is like the last 2 hours of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHy6ypeOlTo

I'm just completely blown away by everything. The direction of the cutscenes is insane.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

What I don't get, is - if, by the end of this game, we're "back on track" with the main story..... why even add all of these convoluted elements in the first place? Was it so they could have people speculating "OH poo poo WILL THE STORY CHANGE?" because a response of "lol no. also we're just going to make things confusing" seems like the worst possible path to take?

I'm having a hard time agreeing with my own thoughts but right now I'm going with:

they wanted an out to not do a 1:1 remake, and wanted to lean on their expanded universe more -- which is turning into having a reason to include more Zack and Aerith.

It's not like Sephiroth won the OG and they need to figure out how to stop that from happening. They're still going to win. It seems like Advent Children and Dirge are still going to be the conclusions to the story. It's not a sequel, which is what I was bought into, but it's really a celebration of everything FF7 that has been done and they're using a remake of the original game as a way to anchor that.

You can turn and say well doing all the whisper stuff in Remake just to allow for fanservice moments is not my cup of god drat tea and you that would be a completely valid take if that's how this all turns out.

Now I could see how people feel they were robbed of the Aeris scene if she is going to end up dead anyway, but I personally find all the Cloud psychosis stuff to be a fresh take on how everything is being presented.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I would agree with all of that.

I'm excited to watch reactions from the Cloud/Zack 2v1 at the end.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They also did a good job making the whole Cait Sith 2 thing less ridiculous. Still mildly ridiculous.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gologle posted:

So, even in Remake, I had a feeling that this series would "tie-up" the Compilation, in the sense that the events of this series would practically wrap everything up so there would be no loose ends remaining afterward, essentially making it so the events of Dirge of Cerberus and Advent Children will no longer happen. Does anyone else agree, or do you think the future events will still transpire?

I don’t think that only because all the interviews make it seem like that want to tie everything together as much as possible.

Even if they “defy fate” what would that mean other than Aeris and Zack live.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was actually getting huge FF8 ending vibes when Zack was aimlessly walking around in the white void.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't wait to see how they handle the Zack in Nibleheim reveal. They did such a good job with Cloud being a headcase.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It annoys me more than it should that you get fan-serviced to hell at the end of the game and they have to throw in a Rufus scene with a mobile game character. Like does a single person give a poo poo about seeing that?

Also for whatever reason it never clicked with me that I guess Tifa has to flash Cloud when she shows him her scar. Should have been more minigames around that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It will be interesting to see how/if they can stop going to the FF7verse after part 3. They're going to have so much investment in development and assets and they know it will be highly profitable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Real real answer: there’s still a third game!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Harrow posted:

I just hope it all pays off in a way that's at least somewhat interesting.

You don't find a 3v1 Zack/Aerith/Cloud vs. Serphiroth happening ON the meteor interesting?!?

I just can't wait to see it. Their environment / atmosphere design has really landed hard with me. The City of the Ancients was my favorite location in the OG and I loved what they did with it.

And like maybe this is a weird perspective but the Aerith stuff doesn't bother me at all because they also gave me all the pieces to imagine what a 1:1 remake of the OG would look like.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It just feels like they’re doing what they said they would: It’s the same main story and path with a little extra flavoring. We just won’t know if it’s a sequel or fan service until Part 3 is out.

Of course unless they have some interviews in the mean time where they say some wild poo poo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You’re going to see that rainbow swirl while Cloud and Tifa are boning in the grass and the little “Zack and Aerith have joined the party” is gonna pop in.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm really not sure they need to explain much of it in detail and can figure out a hand wave of "it's just what Zack is seeing and it's powered by the life stream".

I'm firmly in the "wait and see, anything can happen still" camp, I'm just kind of in awe of how much they might have to cram into this game and how deep they went with Rebirth.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I finished the game early this morning and I think I dislike the way it leaves off. Aerith being dead/not dead/multiversal entity makes it an intellectual exercise instead of an emotional one. I can't imagine the ending being the slightest bit coherent to anyone who didn't go in to the game having played the original with a good memory of the events.

The third part is going to have to do a lot of lifting to artistically justify why they introduced the Whispers and defying fate instead of doing a straightforward 'modernize and expand' remake.

It’s a sequel and Aerith Prime playing chess against Sephiroth Prime is still very much in play and I really don’t think they need to do much more to explain things if that’s the case and that plays out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For me personally I can’t call Zack fighting Sephiroth with Cloud “not really going anywhere” unless they completely brush off Zack in Part 3.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah she’s dead and I feel like the way they did it made that end scene way more sad then if they just redid her OG death.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I expect a Cloud / Aerith / Zack party at some point but I also think you have to end the game on the Cloud / Sephiroth 1v1. Unless they really go off the path plot wise, which would surprise me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aerith the party member is quite down and dead. Aerith the life stream queen is having the time of her life and just took a round from Lifestream Sephiroth.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bland posted:

We've already played as Aerith once after her 'death' and that was with just one whole hour of game left. There's not a chance she's not included in some playable form at some point in the entire third game after they went to all the trouble of changing what they changed.

I don't disagree with this? I just don't expect her to be a full time party member or be more than Zack/Seph were gameplay wise.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was just assuming that was a troll post

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I firmly love the ending with the assumption they are going to land the plane in part 3. They've given me enough that I don't need 1:1 recreations of stuff like Aeris's death. We live in a post OG world it just wouldn't have the same impact, now they're at least doing something to keep the blood flowing.

I didn't hear him fully explain it, but Max has a theory that the clear materia is going to be used by Cloud to become like Cloud Prime, filling it up with memories of other Clouds, and that is maybe the first theory or idea that I've heard that I would hate to see.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched. I’m happy to see twists and turns instead of 1:1 recreations but only if they’re well-executed, and if something is reliant on future payoff then it doesn’t work on its own.

I listened to Max’s theory and I think a lot of his evidence re: what’s happening with Aerith is wishful thinking, so I’m not convinced. It’s a neat idea at least.

I consider everything during the end of Rebirth well executed and if self contained I think it's great. The reveal of the Gorgotten Capital gave me chills with the music, the Sanctuary was incredible. I loved how they forced you to walk and listen to Aerith pray. I thought the death approach fit with all the world fuckery and Cloud having going through it all of Chapter 13-14, I just don't know exactly what it means yet.

I think the last scene is really gutting and sad which is what it should be for that moment. So I'm not relying on Part 3 to enjoy Part 2, Part 3 will just shape the overall thoughts on how it played out and it will be hard to think of Part 2 as a singular thing after Part 3 is out (imo).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I personally feel like they included the children laughing at the end to be like “we’re all good and happy now” and Midgar isn’t inhabited by humans any more (setting Advent Children to the side).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jetrauben posted:

I'm much more optimistic than you folks. It feels to elme clear that something did meaningfully change and that a complete "nah, all that changing fate stuff was a red herring" would be writing that would be far too inept and, honestly, a bit of a vets-only bait and switch with 20 years of buildup.

I feel like the majority is down with it we just exhausted our “shits good” posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weasling Weasel posted:

Zack's last instruction to Cloud before they're seperated is "Cloud! Save her", which obviously all takes place after Prime Aerith is stabbed by Sephiroth. Why would he tell the cloud (and the player) to save her after the event of the death, if she was already unsaveable?

The last time Zack saw Aerith she was comatose in bed, I have no reason to believe he’s aware of anything else that could have happened to her. Before the void Zack was stressing over who to save of the three.

My take on that scene was another sign of Zack’s selflessness and being a good person, while putting more shine on what’s really important.